AI's for OpenRA

Information and discussion for custom maps and mods.
Corniel

AI's for OpenRA

Post by Corniel »

Dear developers,

After I made my first steps in developing AI bots/engines (www.aichallenge.org) I decided to make a next step. Searching for an interesting platform I found OpenRA. As I am a C#-developer and I'm a fan of this type of game (I was a bit addicted to Dune 2 - dude, I'm getting old), I installed Git and gave it a try.

My goal is to append a plug-in mechanism so that people can write there own OpenRA AI. The solution that's crossing my mind is that you create a dll, including an IBotInfo implementation. By dropping this dll a Bots directory it is loaded during start up and can be chosen.

Off course we can make things more safe by only allowing code, that's compiled runtime by a bot-compiler using CodeDom an a limited set of dll's that me be referred.

So far I'm reading the code (looks pretty clean, unfortunately with not that many commentary) and looking for the best place to inject it.

When anyone of you have suggestions, questions or remarks, just let me know. :)

riderr3

Post by riderr3 »

Cool :D

chrisf

Post by chrisf »

The compiler services, CodeDom etc don't work the same on Mono. You can't use it, unfortunately.

You're on the right track with IBotInfo etc though. Note there is also a bunch of configuration in system.yaml for the existing bots -- each bot would probably want to provide its own config chunk for each mod it supports.