Map Editor Addon

Great way to make Targetable units/structurs

Information and discussion for custom maps and mods.
DraLUSAD

Map Editor Addon

Post by DraLUSAD »

Was just thinking, as an addon feature for the Map Editor, and might mix things up a bit in Future Map Development

Addon Tabs:
  • Create Team
This is located Under "Map" you can create a Team to use for Map Editing

Create Team Addition:
  • Is Targetable (Can the team be attacked)
  • Can fight back (Can the team attack you)
  • Adjust Team Colour (Can change this team colour
  • Hostile to Other Teams (Set this to be hostile towards other Teams nearby)

Assigning Teams:
To use the Teams for the Map, Simple Double Click the newly place unit/structure, a Drop Down box will appear showing you the available teams, select one, will change it to the Team colour which you have created (If Multi players have been added, will also be added into the box for Ownership, making it easier for Pre-Built bases)

Nukem

Post by Nukem »

^ Along With way points, cell-triggers, teamtypes, and triggers..

zypres1

and also:

Post by zypres1 »

http://bugs.open-ra.org/issues/1240
tl;dr: Anyway to set the buildings / cordinates to a player/# in the editor.
I use a long time trying to find out what buildings that should belong to guessing out of the coordinates. And the saving, unzipping, editing, zipping, renaming, moving, and trying to find this version in the game also takes time end energy.. A notepad inside would be fine...

DraLUSAD

Post by DraLUSAD »

Nukem wrote: ^ Along With way points, cell-triggers, teamtypes, and triggers..
Single Player missions FTW!!!

chrisf

Post by chrisf »

There is no way that we're going to emulate the quirks of RA1 teamtypes, celltriggers, etc -- but we will add sensible ways to do the same kind of things.

zypres1

Another point

Post by zypres1 »

Another thing to think about is how to make it easier for the modders. Like saving / zipping, etc... If the game can start a .zip game it would save some time instead of .oramap
And if there was a syntaxchecker, or just <tab> checker that would help a lot. Or editing of maps yaml file in the editor?

I think that would be more important than new features right now..

DraLUSAD

Post by DraLUSAD »

Couldn't you add the "Rule Edit" option directly from the map editor, in YAML format or something, to build the new custom rules with out editing the YAML?

bobjerry

Post by bobjerry »

Anyway to set the buildings / cordinates to a player/# in the editor.
I use a long time trying to find out what buildings that should belong to guessing out of the coordinates. And the saving, unzipping, editing, zipping, renaming, moving, and trying to find this version in the game also takes time end energy..

zypres1

same annoying problem

Post by zypres1 »

bobjerry wrote: Anyway to set the buildings / cordinates to a player/# in the editor.
I use a long time trying to find out what buildings that should belong to guessing out of the coordinates. And the saving, unzipping, editing, zipping, renaming, moving, and trying to find this version in the game also takes time end energy..

+1, same problem...

twarpie

Post by twarpie »

While I don't deny that the editor could use some TLC, I thought I'd point out that some of these issues have already been addressed:
bobjerry wrote: Anyway to set the buildings / cordinates to a player/# in the editor.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by this, but if you're talking about ownership of a structure / unit, use the 'owner dropdown' on the 'actors' tab.
bobjerry wrote: I use a long time trying to find out what buildings that should belong to guessing out of the coordinates
Not sure again, but you've seen the coordinates of the current cell under the cursor in the lower right corner of the map editor window?

Also, double clicking an actor will pop up a dialogue with some more info on that actor.
bobjerry wrote: And the saving, unzipping, editing, zipping, renaming, moving, and trying to find this version in the game also takes time end energy..
There is no need for 'zipping': OpenRA is equally happy to load map data from a directory. Just keep all assets (bin, yaml, etc) in single directory and only zip when you're done. The single archive just makes distribution of your map easier, but isn't necessary.

hth