OpenRA Editor question

Information and discussion for custom maps and mods.
Proteus

OpenRA Editor question

Post by Proteus »

Hey all.

Question about the OpenRA Editor:

How do I set the owner for units/buildings placed in the map? I have created a 'tech building' thing that when captured can give extra credits to whoever got it, but currently engineers will just try to repair it.

I noticed with one map that someone made, called "Drop Zone", the crate properties are changed or something so that a lot more crates appear in the map - how can I do stuff like this?

Thanks in advance

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

The map editor doesn't support changing ownership. Also note that capturable tech buildings seem to be broken in the current release - we will investigate and fix this for the next release.

The .oramap file is simply a renamed zip, that contains a binary file defining the tile layout, and a yaml file defining everything else.

You can change actor ownership, player/ai definitions, and override the default game rules by editing the map.yaml.

OpenRA will also load uncompressed maps (put the directory with the map.yaml and map.bin in the maps folder), so you don't need to re-compress it every time you change something.

Proteus

Post by Proteus »

Ahh thanks very much! I was able to achieve what I wanted to do now; I edited the ownership of the tech buildings to "Creeps" and it allowed my engineers to capture it.