[mappack] 40 Red Alert maps, converted to OpenRA

Westwood originals, intact.

Information and discussion for custom maps and mods.
kryo

[mappack] 40 Red Alert maps, converted to OpenRA

Post by kryo »

I went ahead and converted 40 original Red Alert maps by Westwood to OpenRA format:

All That Glitters...
Barrier To Entry
Bullseye
Combat Alley
Desolation
Disaster Central
Docklands
Dougout Isle
Eastern Seaboard
Finger Lake
Flood Lands
Forest Under Fire
Glenboig
Indirect Fire
Island Wars
Island Wars II
Isle Of Fury
Ivory Wastelands
Kabalo
Keep Off The Grass
King Of The Hills
Lunar Battle Field
No Escape
No Man's Land
No Way Out
Pilgrim Fathers 2
Pond Skirmish
Puddles
Ridge War
Shallow Grave
Sleepy Valley
Smuggler's Cove
Things To Come
Tiger Core
Tournament Hills
Treasure Isle
Tropical Storm
Water Works
World Map
Zambezi

The maps are intact, straight from the original game, with 1:1 spawn points, resources etc. Just fixed some anomalies probably caused by the importing process (eg. spawn points in the middle of oceans.). All maps playtested with max number of bots, and they work. If you feel otherwise, be my guest and post a fixed map here ;)

I claim no credit for these and as such I've left all descriptions empty and Westwood Studios as the author - simply saving you the trouble of downloading the ISO and doing all the converting...

Have fun!
Attachments
kramappack1.zip
RA Map Pack 1, 40 original RA maps.
(205.68 KiB) Downloaded 1430 times

hamb

Post by hamb »

Some of these maps (barrier to entry, finger lake, tropical storm) I quite like :D

Lyfe

MapPack not working for me???

Post by Lyfe »

Hello,

I just register an account to say the maps are not working for me, they does not appear in the list when i start the game.

I put them in the right place (C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenRA\mods\ra\maps) where i usually put other maps I download and it works just fine, only your map pack won't show up in the Map list... No idea why but with 1 000 download I'm surprised, am I the only one with this problem ?

I would really love to add more maps to this incredible game, any help apreciated

Edit : Actually maybe my game is not up to date , I'm checking this right now...

Edit 2 : I updated my game but your maps definetly won't show up in the game list, not a single of the 40 maps. Very sad. :(

Thanks for the effort tho. I would really love to try all those new maps.

Btw I'm curious, how do you actually convert a *.mpr map file to an *.oramap map file ?

abcdefg30

Re: MapPack not working for me???

Post by abcdefg30 »

Lyfe wrote: the maps are not working for me, they does not appear in the list when i start the game.
Yeah, those maps are outdated and would need an update to run with the latest OpenRA version. (Maybe you can find some of them at https://resource.openra.net/ .)

(Btw, custom maps are usually placed at "My Documents\OpenRA\maps\ra\<version>". ^^)
Lyfe wrote: Btw I'm curious, how do you actually convert a *.mpr map file to an *.oramap map file ?
Yes, there is a way. You have to use the OpenRA.Utility.exe, see https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/wiki/M ... map-format and https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/wiki/Utility .

FRenzy

Re: [mappack] 40 Red Alert maps, converted to OpenRA

Post by FRenzy »

So I found this post, apparently the maps are outdated, and current Utility tool couldn't update them (at least not directly).

So I grabbed the original maps from the CDs (using XCC Mixer), and converted the .ini maps into .oramap.
Many maps were still "outdated", having 'waypoints' instead of player spawns 'mpspawn'. So I wrote a python script to change the files and clean them.

> TL;DR : here are 244 original Westwood Maps ! Updated for OpenRA, Release 20180307
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 5789949886

(For what it's worth ... ^^)

eskimo

Post by eskimo »

Awesome, must have missed this before.

I swear King of the Hills used to have civilians armed with weapons. And one had a nuke!

Though my memory is hazy with that.

netnazgul

Post by netnazgul »

no, it's "The Hills Have Eyes" map from Aftermath expansion. The memory of it is burned into my brain by countless hours of defeating superpowered civilians...

camundahl

Post by camundahl »

Awesome work, thank you!

Inq

Post by Inq »

Thanks for these!