Some questions and ideas.

Information and discussion for custom maps and mods.
secret

Some questions and ideas.

Post by secret »

Well, it seems the engine has progressed forward since I kinda left(school shit, but it will end soon.)
Long time ago, when the engine was at its start, I remember that chrisf(?) told me that the engine will support PNG format instead of SHP. Don't know if it was or not implemented, but I guess that the question stays if it will be implemented (if it wasn't.) What I know is that TS SHP format is accepted now.
Secondly, I look at this forum, and sadly I have to say that its pretty unorganized - wouldn't it be a lot more wiser if it were to be a maps subforum, for example? And a RA1 SHP subforum? a misc. graphics subforum? a coding subforum? a graphical discussion subforum and a tutorial subforum?

Many thanks for the support

PS: For the TS SHP format, the remap color is the same old red remap color used before, correct?

PS2: Maybe the forum (Sleipnir Stuff) should have at the bottom of the main forum a link to PPM forum and viceversa?

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

We use png for the ingame ui, but `world' artwork (terrain, units, etc) still only support the ra/td shp format.

We do have engine support for writing ra-format shps, which chrisf used to create a simple png->shp conversion tool.

We still don't (and probably won't, unless a sufficiently motivated total conversion team need to do something that the ra-format doesn't support) support ts-format shp. The main reason to add it would be to allow people to use TS/RA2 artwork out of the box, which is something we don't really want to support.

WRT the forum suggestions, I'd rather not have several forums each with a handful of posts. Until/unless openra modding becomes much more popular, it is cleaner to have a smaller number of more populated forums. I do agree with your suggestion of splitting off a separate maps forum, which we may do sometime soon.