FransBots 20231220

Four new Bots for OpenRA, now updated again "fransbots20231220"

Information and discussion for custom maps and mods.
fransotto

FransBots 20231220

Post by fransotto »

Hello,

Fransbots 20231220

Time for another update of my bots!

General changes;
Infantry, Rocketeers and air units have slight different target priorities for some overall better attack priority handling. With this changes even the vanilla-bots has been tougher, unsure how it effect the campaign games though.

All the bots do the following:

-Sends out thieves and engineer for capture harvesters, construction yards and oilrigs.
-Priorities to a-bomb your nuke silo so you become behind in the nuke game (yes, its evil).
-All fransbots expand their bases with more constructions yards.
-All fransbots beats the vanilla bots on regular basis.
-Builds medical and mechanical units for heal the squads and harvesters.
-Builds nuketrucks and other units the vanilla bots do not build.
-In general better responce time to threats, more interested in defending harvesters.
-General less waste of money and smoother base expansion and army building.
-Does not work with navy :/

Short description of each bot;

AirAI
Tweaked for an all-rounded bot with focus of Air support. Expect an agressive bot using all availible units and notorius sniping your harvesters.

HordeAI
Tweaked for mass assualt with basic soldiers followed up with artillary. Expect constant fight from beginning to end.

BaseAI
Tweaked for base creeping, left in peace this bot can take over half the map in no time!. Expect one of the toughest bot to beat in the endgame.

TechAI
Variant of the BaseAi but builds one (or more!) sofisticated base with high tech units. Expect nuke warning within the 5-6 minutes!

RaidAI
Variant for the BaseAI, focus on engineers and thieves. Expands quickly in many small bases. Expect thieves, fake buildings and gap generators. Did I mention thieves?

Download the fransbot20231220.zip and replace the mod.yaml file in the "ra" folder. Then replace the files other files in the "rules" folder.
Dont forget to make a backup first. You will not be able to play online with this mod.

Enjoy!
Attachments
fransottoai3.zip
(10.82 KiB) Downloaded 641 times
fransbots20230131.zip
(11.72 KiB) Downloaded 531 times
fransbots20231220.zip
(42.02 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
Last edited by fransotto on Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:03 pm, edited 6 times in total.

fransotto

Re: Fransottos aiBots

Post by fransotto »

Instructions how to install the bots have changed. Replace the mod.yaml in the "C:\Program Files\OpenRA\mods\ra" folder and then add the bot files in the "C:\Program Files\OpenRA\mods\ra\rules".

The bots are now updated with following changes.

-Air;
*Aircrafts tweaked a little more in order to not do kamikaze attacks against enemy base, more likely to attack harvesters and do base defense tasks. In order to save some economic the helipads and airfields are constructed a little later into the game.

-Base;
*Better base defense and smaller attack squads. Added use of mechanics and they are sometimes repairing if any own or allied units is within range. Added thieves as well.

-Horde;
*A more aggressive approach toward weapon factories and barracks.

-Raid;
* Engineers and thieves are now doing ok. Not perfect but its a fun addition. You really have to watch out for thieves late game. Also demolition trucks are added. Use ukraine for best experience :)

fransotto

Post by fransotto »

Time for another update.

The zip file in the original post is updated.

Changes;

-In general; Air, Horde and Base do now build mechanics, I have noted that mechanics if stays in the base occasionally repair harvesters coming nearby. Pretty neat and fun. Air and Horde also build 1-2 extra construction yards. It comes a little too early in the game but against the standard AI it works really well.

-Air bot; more tweaking of the air units. The idea is to have them showing up "mid game" as there are more targets not protected by base-defense at that time. Works quite ok. As air units and ground units seem to share same settings the squads size and composite has change a little. It might be that I tweak this bot to become more like a "tech-bot" later on. As for now it doing fairly good against the "rush-ai" and "horde-ai".

-Horde bot; I am happy with this bot by now. According to me the most challenging and strongest bot in OpenRA. A little slow in the start but becomes a really nice powerhouse once all the factories and refineries are up and running.

-Base bot; The balance between base expansion and base defense works quite ok. Increased the squad size so it defends its harvesters quite ok by now. A little slow in building nukes. Its really hard to try to stop this bot with only nukes and air attacks.

-Raid bot, I have now manage to rush a engineer so watch out! -In almost each game you will have an engineer trying to take over refinery or construction yard for you within the first minute. Engineers and thieves are tweaked more so the capture rate is quite high. The bot actually takes over oil derricks and other neutral buildings at rare occasions. As earliuer mentioned, this bot works best as a ally or support to other bots. The plan is to make it expand with small tight well defended bases around the maps. Works sometimes for the moment.

fransotto

Post by fransotto »

Question to all you modders out there; Does it work to add LUA scripts to the Ai-yaml files like it does to the map files? To take these Ai to the next level I need to have custom "rules", like having aircrafts attack/avoid certain units.

abcdefg30

Post by abcdefg30 »

It is possible to edit the World actor from ai.yaml to reference Lua scripts, as the game's yaml merger should take care of consolidating that and world.yaml. The Lua scripts still need to be separate files though.

fransotto

Post by fransotto »

Wow! New version of OpenRA!

I notice over 90 download of my little bot project. Way more than I expected. Hope you enjoyed it.

Question, anyone interested in an update with the new version of OpenRa?

fransotto

Re: FransBots 20230131

Post by fransotto »

...next step in the project is to play around with the actors. It might be possible to continue to improve the bots if the actors has a priority list of targets. But different actors must have different priority based on the bot "personality". How do I solve this?

abcdefg30

Post by abcdefg30 »

This is possible by using https://docs.openra.net/en/release/trai ... etpriority which can receive a condition (which can be granted for different bots, see https://docs.openra.net/en/release/trai ... onbotowner). However, that means changing the rules of individual actors by putting the AutoTargetPriority traits on the different actor types.

pofs

Post by pofs »

Hi,

thanks for efforts on developing openra and mods. I would like to know if is possible to use this mod with the latest version game.

Thank You,
Regards

Fabio.

fransotto

Post by fransotto »

pofs wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:47 pm
Hi,

thanks for efforts on developing openra and mods. I would like to know if is possible to use this mod with the latest version game.

Thank You,
Regards

Fabio.
Hello, Yes that is no problem. However you will not be able to play online. so make a back up copy of the folders first.

pofs

Post by pofs »

Hi, thank you. I tried to install the mod on the latest version (20231010) but the game crash. After installed, on the GUI where we can set game parameters, all text labels are wrong and the game crash starting the mission. Any idea ?

Thank You,
Regards

Fabio.

fransotto

Post by fransotto »

pofs wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:53 am
Hi, thank you. I tried to install the mod on the latest version (20231010) but the game crash. After installed, on the GUI where we can set game parameters, all text labels are wrong and the game crash starting the mission. Any idea ?

Thank You,
Regards

Fabio.
Hello!
Ouch no good, I think too much changes with the latest version. But hold on I am underway to update my bots!

fransotto

Re: FransBots 20231220

Post by fransotto »

Are there a possibility for the bots to not include units that does not have any ammo left in the attack and protection squad? Is there any possibility to "disband" a squad and let the bots to rearrange the rush attack squads? Can units/actors retreat to the service depot based on health level?