MacOS install

Is the Steam version of C&C remastered for pc supposed to load onto a Mac after creating the file? Didn't work so asking if there are further instructions or if I am way off base in my expectation and understanding.

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Mplayer

MacOS install

Post by Mplayer »

Looking for clarification on the asset instructions mentioned below for Mac OS install for remastered C&C. Am I understanding correctly that the Steam PC version will downloaded onto a Mac after following the file creation info below? I did it and it did not work (purchased the game on a steam account while on a pc then logged in steam on Mac steam per directions.) Should I install CC remastered from steam on a pc then copy the game to the Mac? Any additional info or help is appreciated.

macOS

Install the C&C Remastered Collection through Steam using the following procedure:

Make sure that Steam is installed.
Create a file ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/appmanifest_1213210.acf with contents
"AppState"
{
"appid" "1213210"
"Universe" "1"
"installdir" "CnCRemastered"
"StateFlags" "1026"
}
Restart steam and log into an account that owns the C&C Remastered Collection.
The game files will automatically download.

Mplayer

Re: MacOS install

Post by Mplayer »

I guess what may be a better statement is the OpenRA Tiberian Dawn HD app is requesting the Tiberian Dawn artwork and audio from the C&C remastered collection when starting up and does not operate past that point. It says purchase the C&C remastered install from Steam or Origin which I have but can't get it installed on a Mac. Having to manually transfer it from a windows install to the Mac Steam folder where the other apps are (along with modifying the acf file) but that does not work either. Does anyone know which files the TD HD app is looking for and where they go? Could manually move them but otherwise the TD HD offers no other way to search for the files to allow it to continue starting up. Why am I trying to do this? I have the original openra C&C installed on a Mac and a windows pc but we ran into what appeared to be a video card issue when installing on another windows pc. So we decided to buy the c&c remastered for the pc's and attempt to use the openra HD version on the Macs but having trouble getting the Mac version to cooperate. Maybe if the openra original app would network with the remastered version I would just leave it at that. Thanks for any help.

Punsho

Post by Punsho »

It does work for most mac users, both for Intel and Apple Silicon. I'm not sure exactly what the problem is

Punsho

Post by Punsho »

However there have been issues with older versions of TD HD. Make sure you are installing the latest

Mplayer

Post by Mplayer »

Update with new information: without comparing the acf files with a diff command line function I am assuming the acf file I created must have had a bad syntax somewhere. Space or comma or something. Because I tried making the file again on an older iMac and it ended up downloading the game in steam as the instructions describe. So I copied the acf to the original Mac as well as the game folder to the respective spot, booted up openra c&c hd and it worked as well! I am guessing it was the file not being correct but the other difference was it worked on an 2015 iMac running Monterey. The initial machine was a M1 Pro laptop with Sonoma. Hope this thread ended up being helpful to someone.

As a second question (maybe this need to be a new thread) but is this game supposed to play via LAN with the Steam version of C&C Remastered?

Thanks again for the kind help and your efforts to Mac gaming.

abcdefg30

Post by abcdefg30 »

Mplayer wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:39 am
As a second question (maybe this need to be a new thread) but is this game supposed to play via LAN with the Steam version of C&C Remastered?
Crossplay only works with the OpenRA version of TD. You can't play together with players using the original games or C&C Remastered from Steam/Origin.

Cabelison

Post by Cabelison »

Mplayer wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:39 am
Update with new information: without comparing the acf files with a diff command line function I am assuming the acf file I created must have had a bad syntax somewhere. Space or comma or something. Because I tried making the file again on an older iMac and it ended up downloading the game in steam as the instructions describe. So I copied the acf to the original Mac as well as the game folder to the respective spot, booted up openra c&c hd and it worked as well! I am guessing it was the file not being correct but the other difference was it worked on an 2015 iMac running Monterey. The initial machine was a M1 Pro laptop with Sonoma. Hope this thread ended up being helpful to someone.

Thanks again for the kind help and your efforts to Mac gaming.
I have the same issue and followed your instructions, created the appmanifest_1213210.acf file with the contents you provided, but when I log in to Steam, nothing happens and it doesn't download the game files. I noticed I didn't have the Steam folder under /Library/Application Support/ so I created it (+ folder steamapps below it where I placed the actual appmanifest_1213210.acf file). Any idea what should I try?