No Sound in Linux Manjaro version

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Kackb00n

No Sound in Linux Manjaro version

Post by Kackb00n »

I am using the package from the official arch repo (version 20210321-2).
I have absolutely no sound. Neither in menu, nor in game. Game itself works flawlessly besides that issue.
When I choose music in the skirmish menu, it fast forwards the playback timestamp through the song within 1 second or so without playing any sound.

I searched the forum and git issues because I can't imagine I am the first one experiencing this, and did not found anything. So probably I am just doing something wrong?

the sound part of Setting.yaml in ~/config/openra:

Sound:
SoundVolume: 1
MusicVolume: 1
VideoVolume: 1

device is set to default (don't have sound issues with any other application or game) and not muted. Setting to the specific output device instead of "default" does not help.

Console output does only tell about the openGL setup, not about the sound (besides "using default sound device"). I did not found anything about a debug/verbose output. "--help" or ("-h") is not implemented, "--debug" or "-d" does not change console output.

Kackb00n

Re: No Sound in Linux Manjaro version

Post by Kackb00n »

I think this is solved. Updating the Kernel yesterday somehow messed up my audio output profiles (though somehow it kept working with other applications). Fixed these and now also have sound.

thread can be closed.

milkman

Re: No Sound in Linux Manjaro version

Post by milkman »

Not sure if that helps but for me switching audio devices after starting the game does not work. That seems consistent across multiple Linux flavours I've used in the past. So if your primary device when starting the game is headphone, those will work. If you switch while the game is running, all other devices will play no sound.

Based on gut feeling rather than scientific evidence, I found that AppImage versions work most reliably btw