[Support] OpenRA Red Alert issue reaching main menu

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
joeuser

[Support] OpenRA Red Alert issue reaching main menu

Post by joeuser »

Hi all,

Brought my little son to play with me some rounds of OpenRA Red Alert. Lots of fun. Thanks for all the work to the dev team and community.

A problem we are facing recently is at reaching the main menu: Be it at fresh startup of the game or after finishing a round: It is just stuck ioading resources before the main menu or hanging during the load of the "party menu", where you select players, bots and further game settings. I cannot even click on the "Back" button.

A partial workaround is to delete the .openra folder and "start from scratch". Works in most cases, but sometimes we got to try a few times. It is like it runs in a timeout for something. Tried with wireless and wired connection, no difference. Tried also to start via console to get some further info, but nothing related to an error.

Anyone had a similar problem? Any help is much appreciated.

Many thanks,
Joe

OpenRA: 20210321-17

Sleipnir

Re: [Support] OpenRA Red Alert issue reaching main menu

Post by Sleipnir »

You may be suffering from https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/issues/4847

Try setting the environment variable GALLIUM_THREAD=0 before launching OpenRA to work around the freeze.

joeuser

Re: [Support] OpenRA Red Alert issue reaching main menu

Post by joeuser »

Thanks for the reply, Sleipnir. Appreciated.

Tried that, without any success unfortunately. I don't even think Solus is using the GALLIUM_THREAD environment variable...