How did you succeed at making this small game use 100% cpu and cook my high end laptop?

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
ffxffxff

How did you succeed at making this small game use 100% cpu and cook my high end laptop?

Post by ffxffxff »

:?

And I guess a lot of the CPU strain comes from sitting in the lobby, where we cannot turn the shellmap off anymore like in previous versions. Why was that feature removed?

Sleipnir

Re: How did you succeed at making this small game use 100% cpu and cook my high end laptop?

Post by Sleipnir »

The shellmap animation can be disabled through the Settings -> Display -> Pause Menu Background option.

ffxffxff

Re: How did you succeed at making this small game use 100% cpu and cook my high end laptop?

Post by ffxffxff »

Sleipnir wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:01 am
The shellmap animation can be disabled through the Settings -> Display -> Pause Menu Background option.
Ok, tried that.

It's way worse than the old "disable shellmap" option.

And it makes no difference, OpenRA already cooks my CPU in the lobby, even with paused shellmap. As far as I know it does this for everyone too.

Therapist

Post by Therapist »

I know, it's ridiculous. In my case I get high GPU usage. It doesn't make sense. Especially since, from what I've read, it didn't used to do that. I don't get it.

tux

Post by tux »

Hmm, I get 30-50% CPU use, which honestly isn't a lot (if you have more than one core, that is).

ffxffxff

Post by ffxffxff »

tux wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:00 am
Hmm, I get 30-50% CPU use, which honestly isn't a lot (if you have more than one core, that is).
It is a lot.

Did devs put a hidden bitcoin miner in this?

abcdefg30

Post by abcdefg30 »

ffxffxff wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:40 pm
Did devs put a hidden bitcoin miner in this?
You can look through the code yourself at https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/.

camundahl

Post by camundahl »

sounds like a computer problem.

Newest release for me is like 15% CPU and 20% GPU