Any list of officially supported install media?

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Peffse

Any list of officially supported install media?

Post by Peffse »

I decided to give OpenRA another shot after seeing all the progress being made (I think last install was 2015) but I'm having quite the difficult time running the advanced install. No matter what I try I can only seem to get Dune 2000 imported via CD. But unfortunately even that is bugged saying that the music isn't complete (which I found earlier is a known bug).

Is there an official list of media that OpenRA supports via Advanced install?

To give an idea what has failed me (all US English media):
1995 Command & Conquer PC CD-ROMs
2000 Command & Conquer Red Alert The Arsenal (Red Alert & The Aftermath) CD-ROMs
2006 Command & Conquer The First Decade DVD-ROM
2022 EA Origin Command & Conquer + Covert Operations & Red Alert + The Aftermath via The First Decade Digital

No matter what I try, the advanced installer just sits at 'Checking Discs' and neither times out nor finds the media. I've tried launching OpenRA as Administrator. I've cycled the media in the drive and clicked Retry. I've tried alternating discs, like Nod vs GDI. I've also launched the games in Origin to make sure they were unpacked. Nothing seems to be picking up any of the files. Are the discs I've used completely unsupported?

Matt

Re: Any list of officially supported install media?

Post by Matt »

English should work. Can you share your install.log?

Peffse

Post by Peffse »

The install.log I found in %APPDATA%\OpenRA\Logs is completely blank. 0KB in size, created March 1st, so before I attempted the Advanced Install.
Am I looking in the wrong spot?

Matt

Post by Matt »

You picked the correct file. Look at it after you got an error message when importing content. Also check the other log files for hints. Crashes are in exception.log files.

Peffse

Post by Peffse »

All logs are 0KB excluding perf.log, which shows 6 lines of precaching FreeSans fonts.
There is no error in-game. It just sits at 'Checking Discs' with no progress. I've let it go for more than 5 minutes.
CheckDisc.png
CheckDisc.png (35.07 KiB) Viewed 5065 times

abcdefg30

Post by abcdefg30 »

That is really odd. Maybe your Antivirus is blocking some functionality of OpenRA? I don't have any further ideas. As a last resort you can try performing a manual content installation (see https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/wiki/G ... stallation).

Peffse

Post by Peffse »

It's a bog-standard install of Windows 10 64-bit 21H2 with Windows Defender. No third-party antivirus. That's why I thought perhaps my discs were too old and unsupported. 16-bit installers prevent me from using them.

Should there be a timeout? Is my system just acting funny or does it really check forever?

abcdefg30

Post by abcdefg30 »

There is no explicit timeout, but all the game is doing (before writing logs) is looking for certain files at certain file paths (by asking the Operating System), which shouldn't hang up... I fear we won't be able to go any further without logs.

Peffse

Post by Peffse »

I found the problem! OpenRA hates bitlocker drives. It must have been attempting to search my I: drive and just got stuck. After unlocking I: the program detected my installation media.
Quite the bug!

Peffse

Post by Peffse »

Is this something I should file a bug report for on Github? I can't be the only person out there using standard encryption.

abcdefg30

Post by abcdefg30 »

That would be good.Unfortunately I don't see it being solved anytime soon without anyone in the dev team having the problem themselves (or some way to simulate it).

Peffse

Post by Peffse »

I'll see if I can replicate it on another PC using a USB stick with bitlocker.

Peffse

Post by Peffse »

It didn't care in the least that a bitlocker encrypted USB drive was plugged in, as the CD-Rom was found without issue. It only cared about the fixed disk being encrypted. Weird. I guess a Github bug report might give some useful info for future detection but yeah its gonna be hard to replicate.

Also, my 1995 C&C discs were not supported! I saw the list inside OpenRA when the disc wasn't detected. Only gold is supported and mine are base. I'm surprised that info isn't anywhere on the website before you download.