Replace name faction "Russia" with another variant

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Minsk (Noob)

Replace name faction "Russia" with another variant

Post by Minsk (Noob) »

Hello. Due to the fact that the real country Russia started a war against Ukraine, I propose to replace name Russia and / or Ukraine with another faction. A real war in the center of Europe, it seems to me that we should not stand aside. It is not known what other countries may be attacked. These actions can be called sanctions of the OpenRa community against Russia.

Punsho

Re: Replace name faction "Russia" with another variant

Post by Punsho »

Well, we can't just replace all lore, videos, units, ra logo and create an entirely new game. These "sanctions" would not hurt Russia or help Ukraine in any tangible way. While I agree that we should not stand aside, this does not achieve anything

avonacolyte

Post by avonacolyte »

That would achieve one thing, and one thing only: annoying OpenRA players and dividing the community. Not worth.

LeonardMT

Post by LeonardMT »

"We should remove the RSFSR from a faction list from an obscure game to own the evil Russians"

A. This will do nothing.

B. Why didn't you want to remove the UkrSSR when Ukraine was slaughtering Russians in the Donbass?

C. If you ask me this is not a war yet because so far we haven't seen total war from the Russian Federation.

DVoid

Post by DVoid »

Its always a good thing when someone cares about the issues facing us all today but i don't think there is any cause to replace the russian factions name with another. I for one never get the full story about these issues i just get the version that suits those telling me so i cant comment sadly but most of us play these games to get a break from anything negative and enjoy ourselves. Thats one of the great things about intrests like red alert we can leave all that out of the game. Anyway you cant replace the russian nations name without changing the german nations name and by the same logic youd have to change england as they all did some bad stuff in the past.

Matt

Post by Matt »

https://donate.redcrossredcrescent.org/ua/donate/ instead if you want to make a difference.

Punsho

Post by Punsho »

LeonardMT wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:27 pm
C. If you ask me this is not a war yet because so far we haven't seen total war from the Russian Federation.
What is total war? Almost 100% of Russia's active military is participating, reserves are also being used. And in Ukraine it's total mobilization, even civilians with no combat experience are being recruited and provided weapons. In this war Russia has lost almost 10% of it's military force, what is huge in just 2 weeks. I'm not sure what else to call it but war

DVoid

Post by DVoid »

Total war refers to one or more comabtant nations using every weapon at its desposal to defeat an enemy. Total war today would mean a nation using nuclear biological chemical weapons and anything else they have like weapons that blind the enemy soldiers all the illegal stuff neutron bombs hydrogen bombs. Thats total war. The germans tried to wage total war on the russians when they attempted to extermimate them in ww2 but they still held back some weapons like gas weapons were not used when they could have been. They could have loaded gas into the a4 rocket and sent it to any captiol city in europe. Even right at the end they didnt do that.

LeonardMT

Post by LeonardMT »

You're getting closer but I didn't mean it on that extreme of a scale. I was mostly meaning stuff like shelling water infrastructure and leveling cities; you know what NATO loves doing.

If anyone else is curious about total war: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_war

Κώστας

Post by Κώστας »

I disagree

Punsho

Post by Punsho »

LeonardMT wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:05 am
You're getting closer but I didn't mean it on that extreme of a scale. I was mostly meaning stuff like shelling water infrastructure and leveling cities;
Well it is on an extreme scale. Kremlin is bombing cities with unguided weapon systems daily, meaning there are lots of collateral civilian deaths. Bombs are hitting everything from nuclear powerplants to children hospitals. One could say that Russia is already levelling cities. Not to mention just randomly shooting civilians on the street or with tanks running over cars with people still inside them
LeonardMT wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:05 am
you know what NATO loves doing.
I'm sorry to say, NATO is not what you believe it is. NATO was created to defend against Russia's aggression, and is controlled by democratic countries. Democracies, unlike Russia, value people's lives. NATO has never levelled a city, it is not an aggressive alliance, its primary goal is like I mentioned before, defensive.

What this means is that NATO is Russia's enemy number 1. In order for Russia to have influence / conquer the west it needs NATO to be weak, it needs countries to not join NATO. So Kremlin is spreading lies about it.

One good advice I can give is not to trust any information the Russias government provides. It's all either lies or warped reality. If you choose not to believe anything I said, well, I can't do anything but hope that the sanctions will help people realise that Russia is the aggressor here and help Russian people wake up from this propaganda dream

avonacolyte

Post by avonacolyte »

We don't need to - and I would say shouldn't - defend NATO and the way NATO powers have behaved, and continue to behave, in order to condemn Russia's invasion of Ukraine. It's a red herring, so to speak. The way America, in particular, behaves is little or no better than how Russia has recently started behaving; the point is that two wrongs don't make a right.

Punsho

Post by Punsho »

avonacolyte wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:09 pm
We don't need to - and I would say shouldn't - defend NATO and the way NATO powers have behaved, and continue to behave, in order to condemn Russia's invasion of Ukraine. It's a red herring, so to speak. The way America, in particular, behaves is little or no better than how Russia has recently started behaving; the point is that two wrongs don't make a right.
I don't think you can compare them like that, at all. (I mean Russia and NATO or Russia and America). It's completely dismissing the severity of Russia's actions. I can only assume that by "the way NATO powers have behaved, and continue to behave" you mean not participating the the conflict. If NATO decided to do such a thing, it's instant WW3. But thing is, NATO does not even have the power to do such an aggressive action. All member states need to agree to it. And afaik all are against NATO's direct inclusion in the war

DVoid

Post by DVoid »

Like i said its always good to care about the fate of others but dont direct all your attention where the news and media tell you to. There will be plenty of people close by around us all that need help or companionship. There will be plenty of injustice very close by around us all. If we cared so much about the poor lonely old lady living alone down the road or the family struggling in poverty next door than we care about what the tv tells us to care about alot of our problems would be solved. Dont stew and hate over russia it wont serve anyone. Its the innocents that are harmed that matter the most.

tux

Post by tux »

Hey Moods! Look over here! Someone agreeing with you for once-- what a sight to behold!

(in all seriousness though I do agree as well ;))