[!!!][Allied Mission] 06a: Cripple the Iron Curtain Research

Try to play on hard this mission :D

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
NEGAN

[!!!][Allied Mission] 06a: Cripple the Iron Curtain Research

Post by NEGAN »

Hi there!
I met a problem. I tried to finish this mission (of course on hard level), but it's really impossible!
Or I and some people wrong play :lol: or this disbalance should to fix.

PS Mission 06b... is too impossible :cry:

NEGAN

Re: [!!!][Allied Mission] 06a: Cripple the Iron Curtain Research

Post by NEGAN »

...and?

rossboylan

Post by rossboylan »

Hi everybody! This is my first post here.

This mission seems impossible to me too. I think it's s a bug, but maybe we are missing something.

The problem is that to win you must make a naval yard. But you can only position structures within a certain radius of the (land) base building. Even if you capture enemy buildings by the shore, it is impossible to construct anything on sea or land near them.

If you build the base anywhere near where it is at the start of the game, there is no water within its radius. I tried moving it to the east, but even with the radius overlapping the water I couldn't get more than a little piece of the naval base to show as white.

An alternative would be to move the base somewhere South, either very near the enemy base or down one of the 2 peninsulas. But that seems suicidal.

And the MCV is not one of the units available to build, even with the service depot and radar dome built; so there's no way to make a new base.

I notice this [strategy guide][https://www.keengamer.com/articles/guid ... _North/url]) for the original RA explicitly says to capture the enemy radar dome so you can construct a naval yard. Doesn't work in OpenRA.

The restriction that structures must be within a certain distance of the base building is not specific to this mission; I've noticed it while playing Soviet missions too.

rossboylan

Post by rossboylan »

rossboylan wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:01 pm
but maybe we are missing something.
Yes, I was missing something. Right-clicking on a base turns it back into a MCV, so it can be relocated. With that trick, which I inferred from watching @TaxOwlbear's video, I was able to complete the mission. Although I had a lot more trouble surviving the initial attacks than shown there, and I was on the easy level.

Thanks TaxOwlbear!

NEGAN

Post by NEGAN »

rossboylan wrote:
The problem is that to win you must make a naval yard.
I built naval and building transport and send mvc in it)
then I tried to make a base on top right island - but enemy plan always found me :?

Carrillo

Post by Carrillo »

rossboylan wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:42 pm
rossboylan wrote:
but maybe we are missing something.
Yes, I was missing something. Right-clicking on a base turns it back into a MCV, so it can be relocated. With that trick, which I inferred from watching @TaxOwlbear's video, I was able to complete the mission. Although I had a lot more trouble surviving the initial attacks than shown there, and I was on the easy level.

Thanks TaxOwlbear!
:eek: WHAAAAAT!!!

I didn't know this feature! I had such a hard time in Khalkis island, when the blue guys destroyed the extra MCV that you are granted, and then I had to attack the island producing the units outside the island and moving them with transports, all with very limited ore, just the one that regenerates, while my blue friends had all the ore of the island for them.

Or in the convoy mission, when I too discovered that if you put the base too far from the water then you cannot build the submarine factory (whatever is named), because the build radius counts from the building factory (whatever is named). Then I had to destroy the boats with tanks.

Loremoth

Post by Loremoth »

Same, on hard level is just impossibile to survive initial attacks. I need to know if it is a bug.

Loremoth

Post by Loremoth »

Can some one show me a replay on hard mode?