remastered assets for RA?

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
cnc4ever

remastered assets for RA?

Post by cnc4ever »

Is there a plan to incorporate the remastered assets into Red Alert/Tiberian Dawn? I thought that they were going to be incorporated with this latest update, but that wasn't the case. Does anyone know if there are plans to do so on the next (or a future) update?

Sleipnir

Re: remastered assets for RA?

Post by Sleipnir »

This is an absolutely huge task, requiring many changes to core parts of OpenRA. Current plans are to release the first public alpha preview for Tiberian Dawn a bit later this year, but it will take much longer before complete support is integrated into the main release.

It is not currently possible to predict when RA support would be added because OpenRA's RA includes a significant amount of custom artwork (mainly terrain artwork for different types of cliffs and bridges) which do not have an equivalent remastered version. We do not yet know how we can solve this without breaking most of the popular community maps, so the focus will remain on finishing Tiberian Dawn.

cnc4ever

Re: remastered assets for RA?

Post by cnc4ever »

Thanks for the response Sleipnir. I've no doubt that it's a complicated undertaking. I'm a thankful beneficiary for the hard work that has been completed thus far. It's quite amazing that a 25+ year old game still has so much life.