Mappool in new Version

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Dr. Schmock

Mappool in new Version

Post by Dr. Schmock »

Hi.
I noticed that many of the official maps got nuked, and I can't really see a good reason to do so.
It was nice to have a medium pool of maps that are more or less well balanced for a fast game online - most of the custom maps either lack visual style or strategic depth, and especially Tabula Rasa, Vihaan Lunta, Puddles redux and Six below Zero were among my favorite maps (I do mostly 2v2). I did play them almost every evening.

Some of the new maps seem either rather gimmicky or unbalanced (played the "Europe" thing as a custom map once and found it a rather odd experience) or to be aimed at bigger parties - so they aren't a substitute for the maps that are lost.
This would be only a bit annoying if it would be possible to play Custom Maps on dedicated Servers and play the "lost maps" this way, but the ability to download maps from the resource center is gone. Is this how it should be?

Thanks for the great game, though!
Greetings
Schmock

Sleipnir

Re: Mappool in new Version

Post by Sleipnir »

#18617 contains the discussion (which references back to this forum thread) for this change. Sorry that this has impacted you - it is hard to predict everybody's usecases and interests, although as far as i'm aware all the feedback we recieved during the playtests was positive.

Downloading maps from the resource center still works as far as i'm aware. Can you provide more information about what exactly isn't working?

Dr. Schmock

Post by Dr. Schmock »

Hi.
Np, I understand that the way me (and some of my friends) play the game probably isn't representive. Still - why removing them in the first place? I read the argument that you can't just add maps for eternity, but the removed maps surely don't even account to 2mb, and while 19 maps got added, 29 got removed.

About the "Unable to Download from the Res Center" - Sorry, that was a false alarm:
The button "Custom Maps" reappeared after i downloaded a custom map on a server from the list - since it wasn't there before, i assumed that the mappool was somehow limited to the official maps. I checked the gamefolders afterwards and realized that the game creates a new custom map folder for different releases, hence not offering the "Custom Map" Option when i played the new version.

Dr. Schmock

Post by Dr. Schmock »

Since it would be troublesome to search the maps via the ressourcecenter, I extracted them from the old build.
If anyone else wants to keep them, i attach the collection to this post.

Again, thanks for the new release - aside from the (probably very individual) problem i got with the mappool change, it seems great.

Greetings Schmock
Attachments
oldramaps.zip
(154 Bytes) Downloaded 122 times