AI explanation

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
D2ModPlayer

AI explanation

Post by D2ModPlayer »

I played through the original game (Tiberian Dawn) recently and was chiefly preserving the original gameplay and interface to start. Now I decided to try Open RA because of Skirmish support.

Besides being absolutely trashed by the AI (it is harder than the campaign generally and realize I need to "git gud"), I was wondering if you guys could explain the difference between the different AI names. Are they personalities with different strengths, or or they difficulty levels?

Personally, I see no real meaning to any of the names and why I am asking.

I was really struggling with the changes but I've played enough now to realize the genius of Open RA, so good work overall. I am IMPRESSED!

abcdefg30

Re: AI explanation

Post by abcdefg30 »

The AIs do differ in a few places, mostly the amount of units they will send in one go (some also might build more air units, or tech faster), but they aren't really that different and it is a bit random how they behave. A rework of our AI code is planned/in the works, but constantly gets delayed due to other issues, so it sadly won't be included in the next release.

D2ModPlayer

Post by D2ModPlayer »

That makes sense. I'd seen other postings that stated they wanted to make actual difficulty modes and have a more clear system all the way back in 2017. The randomness makes sense.

So thanks for the input. :) I'll simply keep playing and try new strategies until I am successful rather than trying to tweak AI. Taking the time to learn the new systems of OpenRA has felt worthwhile. :)

The one lacking feature is interpolation in the graphics (to rid the game of large pixels at closer viewing distance), because making the graphics look good means I can barely see their infantry to kill them. That's the only glaring missing feature I could find. I prefer 1024x768, a max in more limited mods of the game, it has more viewing distance but not too small. However, I also realize in intense battles I can zoom in temporarily, so that'd solve it, a feature Open RA has that other mods don't have. Will take some getting used to, I totally forgot about it when playing.

Ronald

Post by Ronald »

Last edited by Ronald on Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D2ModPlayer

Post by D2ModPlayer »

I see, so you are talking about an AI mod for OpenRA, rather than the vanilla OpenRA. I've seen posts about these AI's before, so I guess the modification changes the AI names and makes their function more obvious and deliberate. That's a good idea to do a larger map if being rushed is a problem.

Ronald

Post by Ronald »

Last edited by Ronald on Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.