OpenRA custom maps disappear after update

Where to find custom map files and transfer to updated game folder

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Viper007oc

OpenRA custom maps disappear after update

Post by Viper007oc »

Newbie here. Love the C&C map editor, however, after last update (Release 20200503) custom maps from previous version are gone and can't find them. How do I locate the original custom map file and transfer it to the updated version? Thank you for your assistance!

anjew

Re: OpenRA custom maps disappear after update

Post by anjew »

If you go up a level from where the old maps are, it should have all the versions you have currently installed on your machine. You may need to start a game or make the folder yourself on install (Im unsure what triggers the folders creation).
You just need to drop the map into that folder.

If you are completely unsure of where this is:
The support directory is where the game keeps the saved settings, maps, replays, logs and mod assets. The default location is as follows, but one can choose to move it to an arbitrary location by passing an Engine.SupportDir argument to the Game.exe

Windows: \Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\OpenRA\
macOS: /Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/OpenRA/
GNU/Linux: ~/.config/openra

Older releases (before playtest-20190825) used different locations, which newer versions may continue to use in some circumstances:

Windows: \Users\<Username>\My Documents\OpenRA\
GNU/Linux: /home/<username>/.openra/
eg. my current version maps are kept at \My Documents\OpenRA\maps\ra\release-20200503 since Im on windows and have older installs

Viper007oc

Re: OpenRA custom maps disappear after update

Post by Viper007oc »

Thank you so much! Found them!