Improving in openra red alert multiplayer

I find watching replays is the best way to improve in multiplayer on red alert. I decided on a build order and practiced and noticed a big improvement. The problem was that I got my build order down to a t and won alot of games but I noticed that there was something missing from my games that caused defeat when playing skilled opponents. I finally discovered I was expanding too early. It depends on the map of course but a third refinery before I built my repair bay made all the difference. Thanks to the expert that wiped me out I watched what they did and made notes of their timing and build order and copied it. The next day I was alot better and I was good anyway. I found myself defeating players that I couldn't win against before. The difference in a single day was dramatic. I need to figure out the next step in improving because when it comes to long drawn out games I think the best players would still wipe me out but once they do so they will be creating a monster just like the guy did the other night when he defeated me. Lol

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
DVoid

Improving in openra red alert multiplayer

Post by DVoid »

I find watching replays is the best way to improve in multiplayer on red alert. I decided on a build order and practiced and noticed a big improvement. The problem was that I got my build order down to a t and won alot of games but I noticed that there was something missing from my games that caused defeat when playing skilled opponents. I finally discovered I was expanding too early. It depends on the map of course but a third refinery before I built my repair bay made all the difference. Thanks to the expert that wiped me out I watched what they did and made notes of their timing and build order and copied it. The next day I was alot better and I was good anyway. I found myself defeating players that I couldn't win against before. The difference in a single day was dramatic. I need to figure out the next step in improving because when it comes to long drawn out games I think the best players would still wipe me out but once they do so they will be creating a monster just like the guy did the other night when he defeated me. Lol

Punsho

Re: Improving in openra red alert multiplayer

Post by Punsho »

Heya, I imagine you already heard this ingame but in case you didn't, there's an ORA Academy where we teach all the basics of OpenRA Red Alert https://discord.gg/C2CadJT. There are a lot of nuances to the game that will take forever to find on your own, it's always best to to check out what is already figured out

DVoid

Re: Improving in openra red alert multiplayer

Post by DVoid »

yes ive seen the academy i thought it was good but thanks for saying. i know what you mean about some things can take a while to find on your own so things like the academy really help for that because it gets players to a decent standard and they go from there.
PS. i think phase transports should phase not just be invisible so they can pass through structures and other units etc. i mentioned this to the relevant people and they replied. the AI does not capture and fight for oil derricks and they dont expand at all or defend their ore trucks when they have to go a long way to the next ore field.