Open RA slow since latest update

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Udo

Open RA slow since latest update

Post by Udo »

Guys,

has anyone besides me experienced OPENRA being significantly slower after the latest update? At first i thought it might be a connection problem, but also in singleplayer my mouse does not respond with an appropriate speed. This occurs even in the title screen.

I tried all settings but there is no change in that.

a) Is there something i am missing

b) if not, is it possible to get an older version (download is only latest)

Regards

Udo

Sleipnir

Re: Open RA slow since latest update

Post by Sleipnir »

Try changing the "OpenGL Profile" setting in the display options to "Legacy".

Udo

Post by Udo »

Thanks

works for the mouse but still game is slow. There is no difference in building time no matter the game speed i set.

Old version?

abcdefg30

Post by abcdefg30 »

Doubling the cursor size in the settings (there is a checkbox) might help.

Jormungandr

Post by Jormungandr »

A lot of people in-game, who played perfectly fine before this patch, are reporting performance issues. I alone have had three crashes in the last hour, just playing regular online games.
Christ, even the mouse-cursor drags and delays now!
The developers broke the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule.

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

If you want to see Tiberian Sun on OpenRA (and even if you don't, there are many others who do), many things which "ain't broke" in RA still need to change. We rely on feedback on the playtests to find and fix any issues that these changes may cause, and we didn't find or hear about any problems that couldn't be fixed by switching back to legacy GL. We will do our best to fix any additional problems that are reported now in the next set of playtests, but this is likely to be a few months away.

Jormungandr

Post by Jormungandr »

I'm sorry, but IMHO this patch was a major mistake and all it's doing is screwing people over from playing the current game, for the promise of a future game or two that may take another year to be released. It's broken.

If the state of the game is slowly going to be turning away people from playing OpenRA in the meantime, how many people out of the existing player-base will be around for Tiberian Sun, when it's finally pushed out?

I do want Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2 too, but the updates in this patch? It's screwing over the current game, and switching to 'Legacy GL' still doesn't solve issues like crashing, screen and mouse lagging, et cetera.

It honestly felt like the game was being played in molasses, and the sheer amount of complaints I watched scrolling across my screen from other players pretty much assured me it's not just because of my PC (which also had zero problems before this patch).

netnazgul

Post by netnazgul »

Jormungandr wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 2:34 am
The developers broke the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule.
You mistake "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" with "you don't see that it broke until you do" here.

Punsho

Post by Punsho »

Would be nice if you reported those "crashes", crash logs and replays with those crashes if they exist would be useful

Major Kusanagi Motoko

Post by Major Kusanagi Motoko »

Hello OpeRA Community.

Yes, on the first day of the release, ive experienced a remarkable decrease in performance. Network bandwidth usage remained unchanged, however my avg. FPS dropped significantly (! ! around 250% ! ! ) on a small 2v2 map which i know worked perfectly fine last release. The game wasn't lagging, but just progressed slow, as well as my mouse cursor had an unplayable latency (delay).

So, here is what i did what helped a lot:

I reinstalled the last release and checked the "show performance text" checkbox in the advanced settings in OpenRA. Then observed the FPS number on some typical situations (in replays, skirmish, multiplayer, bigger maps, smaller maps, ect...). Got back to the new release and also read out the FPS counter for the same situations.

Then tried to vary any of the possibilities in the video settings (like changing opengl from modern, to embedded, to legacy, from fullscreen to fullscreen legacy and any other of the possible available combinations). Enabled and disabled Frame limitation, disabled v-sync, and anything else which is available to change in the OpenRA-Settings.

Also changed the way my OS is loading the OpenRA-Client. Such as using internal video acceleration or dedicated GPU acceleration.

Always kept an eye on the FPS counter in the same replay file at same zoom levels. And compared the results.

Play around with that until you find a "new" optimal setting for your machine.in my case it got A LOT BETTER than how the new Release is set up by default at the first start. So its worth the few minutes of efforts for having way better experiences in the future.
Udo wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:58 pm

I tried all settings but there is no change in that.
can you elaborate which settings you changed without observing change in performance ?
Sleipnir wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 1:47 pm
Try changing the "OpenGL Profile" setting in the display options to "Legacy".
Sidenote1: in the new release: the overall avg perf. after adjustments however still went down for me, notable, but acceptable - compared to the last release on exact scenario replica.

Sidenote2: The Tiberian Dawn Mod runs much faster then the Red Alert Mod on average.
(always did, but the difference now has increased significantly still, with the best setup i could find for my machine)

Sidenote3: StarCraft2 is running perfectly fine on my machine (confused).
Last edited by Major Kusanagi Motoko on Sat May 23, 2020 3:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

anjew

Post by anjew »

You make it sound like the devs intentional fucked over players which is just absurd
Jormungandr wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 2:34 pm
the sheer amount of complaints I watched scrolling across my screen from other players
Maybe if they want something fixed they should go to the discord/irc/forum like you are now, except maybe posting performance information instead of accusing volunteers on an open source project of fucking you over. Its hard to fix things when its just a bunch of people in a lobby complaining to themselves.
Also is super helpful to play the playtests to spot these instead of coming over to the release and complaining.

gotohell

Post by gotohell »

Dude, litter for English, but I really want to say, OpenRA began to slow down MORE more.
1)Failures in resolution, absolutely random glitches in resolution, it is more or less, it is not possible to click on the buttons with the mouse.
2)the game slows down. I started playing OpenRA on the AM2 Athlone with the X1600, now this game slows down on 2x2011 with the RX560 / 590 (what a fuck man)

Major Kusanagi Motoko

Post by Major Kusanagi Motoko »

update:
here is one exception which i can reproduce by using alt tab with the following settings.
The exception does NOT occur when im on Video Mode: <Fullscreen> without the legacy in ();
or when i use my Graphics Card NVIDIA GT540 M to accelerate OpenRA.

settings:
Video Mode: <Fullscreen (legacy)>
OpenGL Profile: <Legacy> (grey, not selectable)

exception.log
OpenRA engine version release-20200503
Tiberian Dawn mod version release-20200503
on map 8d1334d692c199d74b933f26b0312ffb81ef2e31 (Two Ponds by sin).
Date: 2020-05-29 17:47:38Z
Operating System: Windows (Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1)
Runtime Version: .NET CLR 4.0.30319.42000
Exception of type `System.InvalidOperationException`: OpenGL Error: See graphics.log for details.
at OpenRA.Platforms.Default.OpenGL.CheckGLError()
at OpenRA.Renderer.DrawBatch[T](IVertexBuffer`1 vertices, Int32 firstVertex, Int32 numVertices, PrimitiveType type)
at OpenRA.Graphics.SpriteRenderer.Flush()
at OpenRA.Renderer.EndFrame(IInputHandler inputHandler)
at OpenRA.Game.RenderTick()
at OpenRA.Game.Loop()
at OpenRA.Game.Run()
at OpenRA.Game.InitializeAndRun(String[] args)
at OpenRA.WindowsLauncher.RunGame(String[] args)

graphics.log:
GL Error: Invalid Framebuffer Operation
at OpenRA.Platforms.Default.OpenGL.CheckGLError()
at OpenRA.Renderer.DrawBatch[T](IVertexBuffer`1 vertices, Int32 firstVertex, Int32 numVertices, PrimitiveType type)
at OpenRA.Graphics.SpriteRenderer.Flush()
at OpenRA.Renderer.EndFrame(IInputHandler inputHandler)
at OpenRA.Game.RenderTick()
at OpenRA.Game.Loop()
at OpenRA.Game.Run()
at OpenRA.Game.InitializeAndRun(String[] args)
at OpenRA.WindowsLauncher.RunGame(String[] args)
at OpenRA.WindowsLauncher.Main(String[] args)

OpenGL Information:
Vendor: Intel
Renderer: Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000
GL Version: 3.1.0 - Build 9.17.10.3347
Shader Version: 1.40 - Intel Build 9.17.10.3347

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

Can everybody in this thread please try installing this test build to check whether it helps the cursor or performance issues?

Windows (64 bit)
Linux: Red Alert, Tiberian Dawn, Dune 2000

galord

Post by galord »

Sleipnir wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 4:10 pm
Can everybody in this thread please try installing this test build to check whether it helps the cursor or performance issues?

Windows (64 bit)
Linux: Red Alert, Tiberian Dawn, Dune 2000
It's work fine for me after the update ! :D thank you !

(i was on Windows 7 last week with no lag and upgrade to Windows 10 yesterday and since i was lagging in game, i just installed your patch and everything is smooth !)