No Nukes

Is there a way to disable only Nukes and not other superweapons in multiplayer?

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
jgrauman

No Nukes

Post by jgrauman »

See the topic description. I just want to disable Nukes for multiplayer games, not the other superweapons. I googled quite a bit and couldn't see how.

anjew

Re: No Nukes

Post by anjew »

Sadly this cant be done in the lobby. You can however edit the rules of a map to make the nuke unbuildable and upload this map to https://resource.openra.net/

jgrauman

Post by jgrauman »

Thanks! If I am just playing with some friends, is there a way to just distribute locally? If I upload to https://resource.openra.net/ will it be automatically available for anyone who plays with me or will they have to download and install it?

Josh

anjew

Post by anjew »

Distributing locally is an option as long every player has the map and players can put the map file into their map directory.

Uploading to https://resource.openra.net/ means that players dont have to manually download the file and put into the directory, they can just join the server and click the download button in the lobby. It does mean that what ever you make will be available publicly for other players to play but that shouldn't be a worry

jgrauman

Post by jgrauman »

I didn't see how to disable nukes in the map editor. Any hints? Thanks.

abcdefg30

Post by abcdefg30 »

You can't do that from the map editor but need to save the map unpacked, then navigate to the folder and edit the yaml rules yourself. You can look at the existing maps shipped with OpenRA for examples on how to disable buildings.

Major Kusanagi Motoko

Post by Major Kusanagi Motoko »

good idea, supported !

HE95

Post by HE95 »

go to weapons/superweapons/ find nuke prerequires: ~disabled

Punsho

Post by Punsho »

I don't want to say how one should have fun but fwiw Nuke is a super weapon that nudges you in the right dirrection, if you play the right, the most fun way nuke is underwhelming. If you play stale and turtle on one base or two compact bases, then it is game ending

anjew

Post by anjew »

Punsho wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 7:05 am
if you play the right, the most fun way
There's no right way to have fun. If he thinks nuke isn't fun then so be it. Better to let people figure out whats fun or not rather than lecture them on what you think is fun

Punsho

Post by Punsho »

anjew wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 7:29 am
There's no right way to have fun. If he thinks nuke isn't fun then so be it. Better to let people figure out whats fun or not rather than lecture them on what you think is fun
Yeah, it's a complicated subject. Problem is that people often don't know what they want or like, or why they like a thing, developers often use such mechanics as nuke to encourage certain gameplay they see as most fun and engaging, but there's no pleasing everyone