Trolling - what can be done? ( .1 impersonation + team killing)

Discussion about the game and its default mods.

Re: Trolling - what can be done? ( .1 impersonation + team killing)

Post by .1 »

Authing your name does not mean that nobody can use it It’s a verification, it’s like a Twitter blue check, it does not reserve the name for you and only you.

rob

Post by rob »

Clockwork wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:08 am

That is multiple registered forum accounts not changing your literal in game alias.
No, "Rumsajz" was impersonating via in game name as documented in this thread - by putting "Nero". Nero called him out with screengrabbed evidence.

Mods banned him. You did the same thing.

As I said, it will be interesting to see if/how this is dealt with.

Post by .1 »

Making multiple forumn accounts is indeed against the rules, you need a forumn account to auth. So yes that would result in a ban, changing your in game name to rob is not against the rules.

Clockwork

Post by Clockwork »

rob wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:14 am
Clockwork wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:08 am

That is multiple registered forum accounts not changing your literal in game alias.
No, "Rumsajz" was impersonating via in game name as documented in this thread - by putting "Nero". Nero called him out with screengrabbed evidence.

Mods banned him. You did the same thing.

As I said, it will be interesting to see if/how this is dealt with.
No he made new forum accounts, you can put whatever name you want in the text box next to your name in game.

rob

Post by rob »

.1 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:16 am
Making multiple forumn accounts is indeed against the rules, you need a forumn account to auth. So yes that would result in a ban, changing your in game name to rob is not against the rules.
Sleipnir wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:08 pm
That kind of behaviour is indeed unacceptable, especially from somebody who has a position of authority within the multiplayer community. We have discussed the issue, and it should not happen again.

Was it just the team killing the behaviour Sleipnir referred to in your 'discussion' with him, or the impersonation as well?

I read that as both being unacceptable, but by your replies since it appears you think otherwise.

Perhaps Sleipnir can clarify that team killing is unacceptable, but such impersonation is acceptable?!

Clockwork

Post by Clockwork »

rob wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:23 am
Perhaps Sleipnir can clarify that team killing is unacceptable, but such impersonation is acceptable?!
So what happens if another player called Robert joins and calls himself rob. You gonna call him a dirty impostor and ask for him to be banned?

anjew

Post by anjew »

First things first, I said if you want report people and stir up shit, do it in private messages. While I may have no authority, if you keep using this thread as your personal pot stirrer eventually one of the admins will decide to open the forums for once and close the thread because its only purpose is to piss people off. Please use PM to report or stir up bullshit
rob wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:23 am
Was it just the team killing the behaviour Sleipnir referred to in your 'discussion' with him, or the impersonation as well?
I read that as both being unacceptable, but by your replies since it appears you think otherwise.
Technically both are completely 'acceptable'. There is no rules or regulations that govern playing OpenRA. The only people who can enforce these rules are the server owners, people completely unrelated to the development of ORA. Ironically it doesnt matter what Sleipnir thinks is acceptable or unacceptable because he cant prevent people from playing on servers without altering the games code, only from making forum accounts. Especially alternate forum accounts, which is what that the people in this thread were punished for.

Regardless, being logged into an auth account and changing ur name to someone elses in the lobby is not even close to impersonation. That's like claiming identity theft because someone wrote the same name on their nametag at a party
Last edited by anjew on Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bernd

Post by Bernd »

@rob because thought during that game that I could be mad when someone smurfs under my name you might use the following list as an inspiration which names you should use then:
[*]Bernd das Silo
[*]Bernd das Brot
[*]Bérnard le silo
[*]Bernardo il Pane
[*]Bernardo il Silo
[*]Bérnard le Silo
[*]Berndchen
[*]JETSKICLUB Silo/Brot
[*]Five Asses
[*]Bernadette
[*]Bernd der/le/il Noob
[*].01
[*]Newbie
[*]McAfee (you might ask the other mcafee smurfs then if they are okay with it)
[*]FatKat (well that's then again up to the other FatKats)
[*]KitKat
[*]robby
[*]and a bunch of other names containing some form of bernd and or silo
[*]Tortured by fetus
[*]trained by .1
[*]love the lag
[*]Dr. No must die
[*]AKK47
[*]Analog Jihad
[*]Flinten Uschi
[*]Die Raute
[*]The swiss/italian newbie (you may ask then the real italian newbie if he's fine with it)
oh we forgot the spanish forms
[*]Bernat el silo/pan
and a bunch I probably forgot yet..

If I would really care about that I would play under my registered account so that people are sure they play with me and not with others.. but feel free... I only use it to spec games in registered only lobbies..

If you don't get the difference between people using their real forum account and naming themselves rob and people using some fancy letters to claim being NERO or whoever then this is up to you (+ they all had double accounts which is indeed against forum rules).. I don't think you'll get many good games when everyone has to 'fear' getting called out in the forums that he said something to you, 'mocked you' or trolled you.. I have a bunch of troll builds for teamgames and indeed they can screw my team up so it 'wastes their time' (isn't playing games a waste of time at all?).. If you want play competitive play 1v1 or teamgames with known 'trusted' players.. and even those can screw up from time to time..

You might be not old enough but this might be worth to read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect
tl;dr the longer you try to tear down every rob the more robs will appear.. The more time you've to spend to get all those pointed out on forums the less you can enjoy good teamgames FFA' or whatever games you play..

abcdefg30

Post by abcdefg30 »

Just using the same name in the lobby is not against any rules just on its own. (The previously banned members were banned for other misdemeanour.)
However, it were against the rules if someone was to choose the same name with the (malicious) intend to abuse another player. We'll look at the evidence and decide if action is necessary.

I'll close this thread for now, as it has evolved from a discussion on what to do against trolling in general into a fight between different users.