Trolling - what can be done? ( .1 impersonation + team killing)

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
rob

Trolling - what can be done? ( .1 impersonation + team killing)

Post by rob »

Just come off the back of about three evenings in a row where majority of games are wrecked by trolls, usually manifest by team killing or normal start then nonsense chat and quitting - which chucks the balance of the game so others quit and game ends. On the latter that user then does the same for several subsequent games.

I have started this thread as it feels like it is becoming more regular, and the last game was wrecked by a registered user - .1 under the username b0bby.

Watching the replay back as I didnt think someone with flairs of RAGL Admin, Discord Mod etc would do it - but he did. Replay can be supplied.

On a wider point, how do other games of this nature solve or work towards stopping this as a problem - and is it just me?! :)
Last edited by rob on Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jaZz_KCS

Re: Trolling - what can be done?

Post by jaZz_KCS »

rob wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:07 am
I have started this thread as it feels like it is becoming more regular, and the last game was wrecked by a registered user - .1 under the username b0bby.

Watching the replay back as I didnt think someone with flairs of RAGL Admin, Discord Mod etc would do it - but he did. Replay can be supplied.

The only problem I see here is that the only person you seem to mention with regards to this occurrence is someone who was - like you - experiencing / suffering from the same situation throughout the evening. And then, after doing it once to the real/original offender himself in order to get back, he gets immediately shamed publicly. (Yes, it can be argued that this has generally risen in the last weeks, but yesterday, it was a single individual, and not the one you mentioned.)

If you want to start a public shaming campaign, at least target the real culprit. Or better yet, name no-one if you're not 100% aware of what's happening.
Ah, well, too tedious... #DoesntMatterEveryoneBlamePointOne #BlamingPointOneIsFaster #BlamingPointOneIsTradition

Getting back on-topic: Throughout the last week I have witnessed on my servers:
- Increase of server loops (generally more instances completed in the same amount of time)
- Decrease of server-time in-game
- Increase in server-time in lobby.

This doesn't hint to anything specific, and doesn't say anything on its own, but I thought about mentioning it, as could be interpreted as either increased professional play combined with more social interaction....... or more trolling.

It could very well also be one or two individuals that have taken it up as their mission in recent days to stir up trouble this way. In which way we are blowing this way out of proportion.
RAGL -->Replay Archive<--

anjew

Post by anjew »

jaZz_KCS wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:58 pm
at least target the real culprit. Or better yet, name no-one if you're not 100% aware of what's happening.
He claims to have replay proof of a situation so unless you also have proof you are willing to provide of the counter situation or take it to PM this is adding to the apparent 'drama'. Since you seem to be aware, why not shed some clarity?

My assumption is its something incredibly benign. Feel free to upload the replay if you think its necessary but in the long term it will mean very little.
rob wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:07 am
On a wider point, how do other games of this nature solve or work towards stopping this as a problem - and is it just me?! :)
This game operates using a dedicated server system and as most games running on the same system (Counter-Strike, COD etc.) this means that the onus to moderate the behaviours on a server falls with server operators. If you want this behaviour to stop, you should be pleading with them to moderate their servers and ban people. Im willing to bet that less than 5% of servers even has a user in their banlist.

It certainly isnt just you but in my experioes most of the previous threads on the forum regarding this have been made by people who do the trolling and were really just stirring up shit.
Last edited by anjew on Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by .1 »

I will admit I did TK, after being TK like 5 time. However, to your point, there is nothing you can do about trolling. Plain and simple, the best thing you can do is only play with people you know, who arent going to troll, other than that, its the internet, and internet gaming, trolls are everywhere.

eskimo

Post by eskimo »

With authenticated accounts now a thing, pushing towards that with having a server or two available for only verified accounts would help. If the player base can grow, trolls will slowly be eliminated due to sheer numbers of reliable players being available.

As an alternate to that you could potentially make a discord group and slowly grow it.

Another issue around team games is the mix of player attitudes. Some players aren't interested in winning, merely to have some fun. This creates an issue for the competitive folk, but all i can say to them is, stop playing Ore Gardens or Tournament Island and play a competitive-ish map. You'll never get a serious game out out of me on Ore Gardens or FFAs for example.

rob

Post by rob »

OpenRA-2020-02-05T234455Z.orarep.zip
(49.69 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
This is the replay file.

You can see me asking for IP as there is persistant trolling that evening, I assume you can see the timestamp so you can see I came on here after to post this thread.

rob

Post by rob »

jaZz_KCS wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:58 pm

The only problem I see here is that the only person you seem to mention with regards to this occurrence is someone who was - like you - experiencing / suffering from the same situation throughout the evening. And then, after doing it once to the real/original offender himself in order to get back, he gets immediately shamed publicly. (Yes, it can be argued that this has generally risen in the last weeks, but yesterday, it was a single individual, and not the one you mentioned.)

If you want to start a public shaming campaign, at least target the real culprit. Or better yet, name no-one if you're not 100% aware of what's happening.
There was no indication that the victim was a troll - as per the replay he was equally annoyed. The IP causing issues in several games was a - on the face of it - czech based unregistered user, not Carl.

It is not public shaming to state what has happened in public.

anjew wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:31 pm

He claims to have replay proof of a situation so unless you also have proof you are willing to provide of the counter situation or take it to PM this is adding to the apparent 'drama'. Since you seem to be aware, why not shed some clarity?
Replay has been uploaded so hopefully will show that it was very early in the game, after sitting in the lobby for several minutes.

It was disrespectful to the other seven players at best.

I was unaware of a banlist in operation and if that can be made known to casual players on how to report it could mean quicker stamping on trolls.

.1 wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:36 pm
I will admit I did TK, after being TK like 5 time. However, to your point, there is nothing you can do about trolling. Plain and simple, the best thing you can do is only play with people you know, who arent going to troll, other than that, its the internet, and internet gaming, trolls are everywhere.
Thanks for wrecking another game. As above, it was petulant, with seven other players who sat in the lobby with you ready to play - then you do that right away. It was not targeted revenge, it was just stupid.

My time, and other peoples time, is obviously of zero value to you. Grow up.

eskimo wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:54 pm
With authenticated accounts now a thing, pushing towards that with having a server or two available for only verified accounts would help. If the player base can grow, trolls will slowly be eliminated due to sheer numbers of reliable players being available.

As an alternate to that you could potentially make a discord group and slowly grow it.

Another issue around team games is the mix of player attitudes. Some players aren't interested in winning, merely to have some fun. This creates an issue for the competitive folk, but all i can say to them is, stop playing Ore Gardens or Tournament Island and play a competitive-ish map. You'll never get a serious game out out of me on Ore Gardens or FFAs for example.
On the first point as you can see I was asking for the trollers IP, useful as in other lobbies it can be filtered/KB'ed out. Thus the surprise it was a registered user with such flair.

A group of trusted friends or known people seems the only guarantee.

It is a real frustration that an hour or two of OpenRA can mean one good 20-30 minute game, despite many starting.

I agree on stopping bOre Gardens though :)

jaZz_KCS

Post by jaZz_KCS »

I will gladly put half of my servers on "verified-only", for a test run.
Last edited by jaZz_KCS on Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clockwork

Post by Clockwork »

Clearly the solution here is remove .1

jaZz_KCS

Post by jaZz_KCS »

Starting from tomorrow, every even number of my servers will only allow registered players, whereas every odd number will be free for all.

rob

Post by rob »

Sounds like a positive step - thanks!

Clockwork

Post by Clockwork »

jaZz_KCS wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:30 pm
Starting from tomorrow, every even number of my servers will only allow registered players, whereas every odd number will be free for all.
So the trolls get registered accounts, what’s the next play chief?

semNAkasi

Post by semNAkasi »

i am new pls

semNAkasi

Post by semNAkasi »

I am new- I talked to the author and one night he told me that i am new has the meaning that people will understand with the hure mood fight with the units. Write: i am new and I hope the new player has the right to make mistakes and others will not offend him for it.

Kevin Porter

Post by Kevin Porter »

Hi everyone,

I registered to the forums when people in the lobby were talking last night about trolling - also in relation to this forum post. I've been suggested to make a post myself, because I've had first hand experience with people like .1 destroying lobbies/games and while I'm aware that probably nothing is going to be done - at least it has been heard and the players "have done their job" on their end - whatever I just can talk and that's it.

There are people who do this on purpose, there was a sequence of people killing games for their own pleasure (or bitterness?) and because they disagree with people. I'm glad someone finally made a forum post about this, because that way we can see it's not a single case anymore and these people seem to be regular contenders.

I've been kickbanned before from .1 off regular lobbies as my skill was not "high enough" without prior warning or second notification (as a new player, duh). He didn't even let me spec, just made rude comments like the spectators are some type of cattle that need to be controlled and he's in a different caste of human beings. Funny thing is a friend of mine was playing with .1 the whole noon and according to him .1 never got tk'ed. Point one tk'ed the other guy over some argument, which I don't care about, but fact is, it's a 8 player map and everyone has to suffer every time because of this bullshit. How old are we? I think we're all in our later 20's and maybe mid 30's and it's a low example of someone with responsibilities for the community would go after people to tk them just for their own gratification, killing games and kicking people acting like a total snob with no social skills whatsoever. I can list a couple of diferent incidents, but this is not a witch hunt, or to take someone down, so let's all chill.

All I could hope for that there is someone more designated for community aspects, to have at least some basic order, where admins dont bully/terrorize other players, lol!

Excuse me, if this was more of a rant, just needed to let a bit steam out.