PLEASE HELP ME

Need assist with running Crystallized Doom on OpenRA.

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
MJR_Valentine505

PLEASE HELP ME

Post by MJR_Valentine505 »

Sorry Im brand new to OpenRA. I downloaded in hopes of getting back into the Crystallized Doom mod.
Well I did everything I think to a T and still can't seem to get it working.
Does anyone have a detailed walkthrough on how to get CD working with OpenRA?

I keep seeing something about OpenRA Tiberian Sun but all I can seem to find is ORA C&C, ORA Red Alert, and ORA Dune.
Am I missing something? Please help me.

MJR_Valentine505

Re: PLEASE HELP ME

also a little extra info that may help I don't know.
I do have Tiberian Sun and Firestorm I just don't have them downloaded again at the moment. I have the ultimate edition from Origin or whatever its called I can't recall.

I had the First Decade but with my new PC I don't have a internal disc reader so I wasn't able to download it to this PC.

a_primal_force

Post by a_primal_force »

download an image from thepiratebay

MJR_Valentine505

an image? what do you mean the executable file image thingy?

FiveAces

Post by FiveAces »

Alright, that's going to be a bit tough, but it is doable.
The core problem is that CD is an ambitious project that unfortunately got abandoned mid-development two years ago; since then, no one has bothered to update the game or provide servers. The OpenRA engine, on the other hand, has been thriving in the meantime, and tons of meaningful changes have made their way into the engine, which means that CD is no longer compatible with present-day OpenRA. What you need to do is find out which version of the game your version of CD was intended for (they all have dates as version numbers, e.g. 03122019), and download that one from the OpenRA github repository. I have no clue which version that is, but maybe there is some form of documentation provided with your installation or on their ModDB page. Then install both the old OpenRA version and the mod; this should get things running.

It should be noted, however, that the playerbase has long since migrated, so all you'll be able to do is play singleplayer or LAN with a friend.
If you want a more contemporary project in the OpenRA engine that takes the concept of Tiberian Sun, then I recommend you to download Shattered Paradise instead; it is under active development and has a thriving playerbase as well as a discord server. Good luck!

Graion Dilach

Post by Graion Dilach »

CD immediately integrated OpenRA.Mods.AS from the first moment of me started working on that. A plain OpenRA engine version will never work for it.

There are explicit installation instructions on the GH readme: https://github.com/DoGyAUT/cd. Use those.