Couple of questions

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Sunhawk

Couple of questions

Post by Sunhawk »

Hi all,

Recently got into OpenRA as I was a big fan of the original C&C games. My group and I have had a lot of fun with coop and modding the game. Couple of questions:

Is there a reason C&C Tiberian Dawn has no background game on the main menu?

Are these background games for the main menu easy to create? It would be awesome to select a replay as one to work with the menu system.

Also is the mod selector of old OpenRA no longer accessible?

lawANDorder

Re: Couple of questions

Post by lawANDorder »

Hi, what you see in the background are scripted maps (look for shellmap in the OpenRA maps folder). Its absolutely possible to create your own one, just like you can script your own missions. I don't know the reason why there is no TD shellmap. For more information see https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/wiki/Map-scripting.

The old mod selector is still there but no longer used by official mods because they are now accessible and for some platforms distributed individually.

Sunhawk

Post by Sunhawk »

Thanks for the information dude, much appreciated!

lawANDorder

Post by lawANDorder »

Might also want to take a look at https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRAModSDK/ ... ng-Started in case you plan to create own mods. With the ModSDK you can create your own mods from scratch, using everything OpenRA offers under the hood, without any restrictions (compared to creating a modded map for example). Plus it allows you to package your mod for all 3 operating systems and create installers so that you can easily distribute your mod to your friends or public.

Sunhawk

Post by Sunhawk »

That’s really cool I will defiantly take a lot. Getting endless hours of fun out of the OpenRA package :)

Sunhawk

Post by Sunhawk »

I managed to create a test shell map for Tiberian Dawn and it works great, however I still have in-game sound fx. Is there a file I need to change somewhere to disable the in-game sounds so I just have the music on the main menu like red alert?

Antares

Post by Antares »

In your shellmap's map.yaml/rules.yaml file, add the following:

Code: Select all

World:
	MusicPlaylist:
		DisableWorldSounds: true
Have a look at the other shellmaps to see how they are setup.

Sunhawk

Post by Sunhawk »

Thanks dude, I got it to work eventually but I had to add the code like this to the bottom of map.yaml:

Code: Select all

Rules:
	World:
		-SpawnMPUnits:
		-MPStartLocations:
		-CrateSpawner:
		MusicPlaylist:
			BackgroundMusic: aoi
			DisableWorldSounds: true
There is some audio still with civ unites but not too bad. I would have liked to rotate the map but I tried to copy that code RA shell but it just didn't work.

Anyway thanks!