Using Foreign Language Sound Files

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Synamic

Using Foreign Language Sound Files

Post by Synamic »

Hi guys,
first: A big thanks for all the effort to re-build that game! Amazing job! There is a big crowd outside there which highly appreciates that!

I have one question:
We still do have the original installation CDs of C&C RA.
The language of that CD is German.
Is there a way I can use the German voices of the soldiers, speaker etc.?

I know that currently no other languages than English are available, but during the first start there is a window which lets you select if you want to use audio files from a internet server or from a local CD. I inserted the DC but it is accepting only English versions.
Can you change that? The installation folders on the CD are all in English, means I think if you would take out that English CD restriction, it could copy the sound files from CDs with Germany language.

I hope it comes through what I am talking about :-)
a) How to replace the OpenRA sound files with the ones on my original CD.
b) How to use the original CD for the audio files right away.

Thanks again and all the best!

Matt

Re: Using Foreign Language Sound Files

Post by Matt »

The localized media are binary compatible so you can just install them, however you have to do this manually as there is currently some kind of design decision to keep it that way until management of localized installs and UI translation is in place. You can find a tutorial at https://gist.github.com/abcdefg30/a4fe1 ... ae2ce45bc0

Synamic

Re: Using Foreign Language Sound Files

Post by Synamic »

Dude, you made my day! It works and the sounds/voices are now in German. That's exactly what I was looking for! Feels like back in the good old times now :-)
If anybody some day needs help to translate a dictionary to German, let me know.
Thanks again!

PS, for the record: If anybody needs to unpack/extract the files from the main.mix and redalert.mix, then you will need to use a "Mix Editor", such as the one I was using, called "XCC Mixer 1.47".