Minor Suggestion: Better Beeps When Watching Replies

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
SafwatHalaby

Minor Suggestion: Better Beeps When Watching Replies

Post by SafwatHalaby »

I sometimes watch OpenRA videos while waiting for players to join my game. When I hear the chat "beep" sound, I check my game for messages or player joins.

The "beep" sound in the videos is identical to the one in the actual game. This causes confusion when the sound originates from the videos.

I've tried changing the local sound by modifying "ra/audio/notifications.yaml", however, any modifications to the file make the multiplayer server list disappear. Presumably this to keep the mod consistent for all players in Multiplayer.

I suggest implementing one or both of the following. Clearly this is a very low priority suggestion.

1. Adding an in-game ability to change the beep sound.
2. Automatically switching the beep sound to some other sound during Replay watching, or disabling it entirely.

The second solution mitigates the problem, because most videos are in fact replays being played. It also deals with the case where one is locally watching a replay in one openRA instance while waiting in the lobby with another.

SirCake

Post by SirCake »

Hey,
just tested this. What you want is totally doable, works for me. Probably you did something wrong:
You can only change the notification sound to another sound-notification sound, not to any sound listed in notifications.yaml (not speech-notification).
Copy paste the name of 'sound for cash increased' for example. Worked inside online games no problem!

Code: Select all

Chatline: cashup1
Cheers!

EDIT: tested one speech-notification, too. (unit speed increased). That worked for me too, I could see and join online games. Just make sure you are not trying to add a custom sound file, that might have caused your error. Or wrong indentation or a simple typing error.
Last edited by SirCake on Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Check out Dune2k-Advanced on my moddb page!

SirCake

Post by SirCake »

For watching replays I would suggest using bleepslct (sound name for placing beacons) since non-live spectators (like 5A casting replay) can't see placed beacons and hence not hear any beacons placed.
On the other hand hearing your cash increased every time someone types something or joins your game is quite nice too ;)

Check out Dune2k-Advanced on my moddb page!