hosted accounts

yes please

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
weeman

hosted accounts

Post by weeman »

when are we going to get hosted accounts. A simple win/loss would be nice. multiplayer is cancer right now with trolls

Clockwork

Post by Clockwork »

cancer is a mean word :((((

weeman

Post by weeman »

Happy wrote: cancer is a mean word :((((
happy is a mean word.

weeman

Post by weeman »

login act info could say

-how long youve been playing for
-win/loss ranked
-win/loss non ranked
-total games played
-surrenders vs disconnects

this alone i think would weed out the players that just want to ruin games for fun, They wouldnt make it through to 'start'

if the account/player didn't have very many games played then it would be seen as suspect. More scrutiny in the game lobby/weeding out trolls is long overdue.

anjew

Post by anjew »

https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/issues/2265

Authentication has been in the works for awhile but I believe the primary thing holding it back is the backend. There was a bit of a push to finish some parts but I believe that was stopped either due to lack of manpower or it requires pre-requisites.

netnazgul

Post by netnazgul »

I suggest posting comment there to get a current status on the feature.

Clockwork

Post by Clockwork »

weeman wrote:
Happy wrote: cancer is a mean word :((((
happy is a mean word.
Wee is a mean word

IronScion

Post by IronScion »

A player called Wee Man rage-disconnected against me recently, so I can imagine why this issue is close to your heart. Someone out there is sullying your name!
"Each denomination in the new series of banknotes will feature a different species of Australian wattle" - Mint Spokesman

abcdefg30

Post by abcdefg30 »

Afaik the feature is hold up by a rewrite of the forums to support user authentication.

Mo

Post by Mo »

What's to stop someone from just making multiple new accounts?

Can't go after newbies just for being new.

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

Mo wrote: What's to stop someone from just making multiple new accounts?

Hosted accounts aren't suited to solving bottom feeders. However, they do solve the issue of impersonation and could be extended to give awards and tags to players.

anjew

Post by anjew »

Mo wrote: What's to stop someone from just making multiple new accounts?

What murto said.
Players will still be able to play the game unregistered, as you should for any game, you just dont get all the bells and whistles (stats etc.) And i believe the plan is to leave IPs + country for unregistered accounts and just country for registered accounts.

I don't think anything will ever stop people from 'smurfing,' other than there being no newbies in the world. It is a part of most multiplayer games these days.

weeman

Post by weeman »

it would make smurfing super obvious.

anjew

Post by anjew »

weeman wrote: it would make smurfing super obvious.
Not really. Like I said, people will still be able to play unregistered, because forcing registration is a stupid idea and will probably push people away at the beginning.

It already is super obvious until the player gets a VPN or a dynamic IP. Like I said, nothing will ever fix smurfing except highly invasive methods like using the hardware ID.

I don't see how people have such trouble with smurfing. Being stuck with 1 user name is a relatively recent gaming thing and so is the idea that changing your name is bad.
If you're a noob it's not like you probably know who the real player is or even had a chance if they had their real name on and if you are a 'pro' hopefully the encounter will teach you not to underestimate your opponent.

netnazgul

Post by netnazgul »

I bet the problem is with one troll in particular :p

Anyway, authentication is one of those things which require a lot of backend work to be done first and pchote doesn't have enough time/knowledge to do everything by himself.