The effects of double chrono - bug or feature?

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
SafwatHalaby

The effects of double chrono - bug or feature?

Post by SafwatHalaby »

This trick requires two chronospheres, so two teammates must coordinate. If a teleported vehicle is teleported from location A to B, then again from B to C before its alloted 20 seconds are over, then the first teleportation is "forgotten", and the first teleportation timer is overridden by the second. Once the new 20 seconds are over, the vehicle teleports back from C to B, and not to A.

Is this a bug or a feature? Perhaps it's a nice feature even if unintentional.

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

Bug.

Blackened

Post by Blackened »

Isn't is just a logical consequence? Even if the 1st chrono didn't reset the 2nd chrono would bounce the tanks back to where they were chrono'd from.

Only fix would be to limit active chrono to 1 at a time.

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

The logical behaviour would be to ignore the second teleport countdown and return to location A after the original countdown elapses, no matter what happened afterwards... or perhaps for it to blink out of existence in a paradox.

SafwatHalaby

Post by SafwatHalaby »

Another logical behavior would be that chronoed tanks cannot be chronoed at all, and the second chrono is simply ignored.

SafwatHalaby

Post by SafwatHalaby »

Enemy scenarios need to be taken into account. Consider this: Someone teleports artillery to your base, and you kick them out by teleporting them somewhere else. When the countdown is done, should they return to you? Disappear out of existence? Or return to their owner?

anjew

Post by anjew »

SafwatHalaby wrote: -snip-
Either untargetable or they should return to the owner at the end of first timer. Disappearing is not good, in my opinion, because then there is no incentive to chrono if they can just get counter chrono'd out of existence. And returning to position B and not leaving is definitely not wanted. I personally would avoid any circumstance that doesn't have the chrono'd units back at very original position they left them .

netnazgul

Post by netnazgul »

Not clearing the first chrono timer is the most logical choice here.

Imagine also a situation where first player chronos vehicles from point A to B, then second player waits until the end of the chrono timer and chronos them from B to B again, resetting the timer.

All things mentioned are amplified even more with more allies players involved in a chrono gangbang.

WhoCares

Post by WhoCares »

I like that behaviour because it's one of the few that allow an action that is only possible in teamgame that i called "the permanent chrono".

When you see 13 vehicules chronoed in your base there is not much option. 13 arties, you try to trade the damage they do by killing most of them as they are unprotected and fragile. At this stage of the game if your opponenent has the money to build so much arties, the time to gather them proprely without them needed on front, you must have enought forces to trade well like hinds or else. When its 13 tank, they will probably kill their main target (your gps or nuke) but they don't have enought time for you to worry too much, you just let pass the "storm".

"Chrono them out" with the risk they come back permanently at their attack point is a very good thing : you can counter the first chrono attack by

-chrono them into your army and kill them
-chrono them away and you have 'X' seconds to gather a welcome party on the return point wich is in your base.
-if they are medium tank, you can enjoy both : chrono them into your army, your army kill them and the husk are chronoed back into your base where you can gather mechanic to salvage.

And for me it makes sense what blackened says that the second chrono keeps its law too,

Chrono 1 : A ->B
Chrono 2 : B' to C
Chrono 1 time out : unit back to A
Chrono 2 time out : unit back to B'

That would fully respect the chronospehre logic but would involve "dev-work" for not so much "game interest" as the current behaviour.

this seems the best thing As it gives a good buff to the chronosphere (wich is a bit weak now, exept for chrono teambasepush wich is a bug too following chronosphere logic) if the players play their cards right. It seems a nice reward for such a teamplay action to have 13 Vehicule chronoed permanently in the back lines forcing the players theathend to find the proper counter such as mobilize their forces to counter them, chose a counter support power if ready like IC or chrono, ect.

You combine 2 support power at once, the reward provided here seems legit. Now with permanent chrono you can rethink your squad and send something like 4 artie, 2 jammers, 1 mcv, 6 medium tank. or even combine with a soviet friends. As the chrono squad can be permanent you can think it to be more efficient over time and just not damage dealing over a short period.

Don't forget that lots of teamplay games are arties spam + aa base crawling wich is a sad and repetitive gameplay. You can give here with the double chrono behaviour another angle of attack and a way to twist/change the game.

In a long explaination or a short, now that it's "public", I would prefere to see how people will use it, counter it and how it can make the game richer (or broken) before classify it as a bug to correct.

And in case you stick to the logic "it has to return to the point 'A' because that's the behaviour we see for openra" then make mcv/conyard get back too to the point 'A' because there is no reason to supress one and keep the other. (even if you have to make the conyard explode on return if there is no space for it on original spot).

In case you make units impossible to chrono while already under chrono effect, that would be a fair rules. But considere all creative gameplay options I listed here and all i diden't think about. Would it be worth it to "delete" all that part of the gameplay that hasen't be explored yet in favor of a logical/theorical behaviour ?

netnazgul

Post by netnazgul »

To counter your point of view, WC, I'd say that doing just 2 parallel chrono attacks would be more dangerous than doubling it. Especially german ones :)

anjew

Post by anjew »

I really don't think permanent chrono is the answer as its completely contradictory to the point of the super weapon.

But you do raise an interesting point about MCV chrono. I've never been a fan of it but I think it is intended.

zinc

Post by zinc »

Going off topic here... But this talk of a double Chrono... The game could presumably sense if one player on a team had tanks etc selected ready for Chrono, when a different member of the same team also selects them, and then picks a location to jump to... How about both Chronospheres are activated simultaneously for whatever special result?

abcdefg30

Post by abcdefg30 »

Just a side note (so you guys aren't surprised again :D ): pchote/Sleipnir proposed OpenRA/OpenRA#14155 for the release coming after the next release. The Pull Request has already been merged. Feel free to continue discussing though, we have plenty of time left if we wanted to change it again.

zinc

Post by zinc »

I was going to suggest that there should be a price for using the exploit, such as both Chronospheres blow up on the return trip.

But that then messes up one team using a Chronosphere to defend against a Chrono attack from the enemy team.

camundahl

Post by camundahl »

I think it is fine and interesting as it is, but following the basic logic would be fine, as in if there are two chronos there are going to be two returns to start location.