Suggestion: Spies and Radar Dome Change

Discussion about the game and its default mods.

Good idea?

Yes
33%
No
67%

Total votes: 9

Orb

Suggestion: Spies and Radar Dome Change

Post by Orb »

A quick suggestion regarding spies infiltrating radar domes. The current effect creates shroud on the map. While certainly annoying, you get more bang for your buck with any other infiltration. I think it would be interesting if instead the infiltration reduced the vision of all units/buildings, let's say 1 cell, like the new gap generator effect. This would be temporary, for consistency it can be as long as the power plant power down.

I know some people say spies are OP, but I'm not really interested in buffing the spy with this change (also for how OP they are I see them used as much as minelayers). I just want more interesting options.

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

It actually "steals" the enemy shroud exploration, revealing whatever they have seen to the infiltrator and then resetting it to 0. This isn't very useful for games that have the "Explore Shroud" option set.

IMO if people feel this should be buffed a more intuitive and consistent result would be to temporarily (say 10 seconds) share in the vision from the infiltrated player's units.

WhoCares

Post by WhoCares »

Sleipnir wrote: IMO if people feel this should be buffed a more intuitive and consistent result would be to temporarily (say 10 seconds) share in the vision from the infiltrated player's units.
I like this better actually and it make more sense for a spy after all.

Orb

Post by Orb »

I like it better as well, scrap my original idea.

zinc

Post by zinc »

I like that idea also-- maybe 15 to 20 seconds would be a good time.

And I would suggest a timer reset for nukes and iron curtain/chrono.

WhoCares

Post by WhoCares »

zinc wrote: I like that idea also-- maybe 15 to 20 seconds would be a good time.
This a very powerfull feature, you have access at all the vision this include stealth units, means all strategies/flanking/sneaking are undercovered. 10 sec is a good start to not overpower it.

lucassss

Post by lucassss »

Aren't spies powerful enough already?

Clockwork

Post by Clockwork »

lucassss wrote: Aren't spies powerful enough already?
+1

Blackened

Post by Blackened »

That makes spies become a poor mans GPS.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

I like the current mechanism! Yes I rather let it go in barracks, WF or airfield. But the regrowth of shroud can be super annoying and it can be a psychological scare. It can also not be annoying, but at least the opponent has to rescout which costs time and clicks.
If you don't want to use it on the radar dome, because the map is small for instance, then go for a power outage or steal money. Or let it live as your secret eye in the enemy base. In my opinion it's ok that the radar dome spy is not always useful...
Can spies enter Kennels by the way?
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server