I'm pulling out of OpenRA.

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Smitty

Post by Smitty »

SoScared wrote: For me personally game balancing has always come before the league reason being that the league's growth and potential rests on the former. The game balancing streams has always been the most successful ones and for me to this day I can't really think of a more colorful experience with OpenRA than to tap into the potentiality of change into something better. I also can't think of any more frustrating venture as you will inevitably have to battle naysayers, theorycrafters, alarmists and what not. Although there definitely is a certain division between the developer branch and player base, getting through isn't necessarily that tough but it does require a certain investment in time learning how they work and a shitton of patience. As long as one enjoy the process there is no problem but if you're a moron like me you do this while forming a league, maintain a community stream and produce video content that cuts into your sleep hours.

I'd love to see the RA mod and future mods balanced in a way that promotes both fun and competitive spirit but there are no short cuts and no-one is getting paid.
Looking at the balance changes from the last two releases, playtesting and making balance PR's was one of the most important things you did. Ensuring progress on this front is crucial.

At the risk of sounding opportunistic, I'll come right out and say it: I want a crack at pushing balance PRs. I believe I have the right mix of pragmatism and conservatism to keep things improving without letting it fly off the rails. The goals of developers, the 1v1 scene, team players and single players don't have to be mutually exclusive. There's room to make a better experience for all.

I've been playing around with git and am trying to learn this stuff, but if you or someone else will show me the ropes, I think I'll get to where I can contribute.
"Do not trust the balance tzars (Smitty, Orb). They are making the changes either for the wrong reasons, for no reason at all, or just because they can and it makes them feel good." - Alex Jones

Clockwork

Post by Clockwork »

Smitty wrote:
SoScared wrote: For me personally game balancing has always come before the league reason being that the league's growth and potential rests on the former. The game balancing streams has always been the most successful ones and for me to this day I can't really think of a more colorful experience with OpenRA than to tap into the potentiality of change into something better. I also can't think of any more frustrating venture as you will inevitably have to battle naysayers, theorycrafters, alarmists and what not. Although there definitely is a certain division between the developer branch and player base, getting through isn't necessarily that tough but it does require a certain investment in time learning how they work and a shitton of patience. As long as one enjoy the process there is no problem but if you're a moron like me you do this while forming a league, maintain a community stream and produce video content that cuts into your sleep hours.

I'd love to see the RA mod and future mods balanced in a way that promotes both fun and competitive spirit but there are no short cuts and no-one is getting paid.
Looking at the balance changes from the last two releases, playtesting and making balance PR's was one of the most important things you did. Ensuring progress on this front is crucial.

At the risk of sounding opportunistic, I'll come right out and say it: I want a crack at pushing balance PRs. I believe I have the right mix of pragmatism and conservatism to keep things improving without letting it fly off the rails. The goals of developers, the 1v1 scene, team players and single players don't have to be mutually exclusive. There's room to make a better experience for all.

I've been playing around with git and am trying to learn this stuff, but if you or someone else will show me the ropes, I think I'll get to where I can contribute.
Smitty is a top and respected player who knows what hes talking about I'd say hes one of the best choices for this role.

As well he has made his own play test. Has participated in balance discussions and communicates on the IRC as well as having experience he mentioned on the IRC . I see no better candidate, I endorse.

SirCake

Post by SirCake »

Though Smitty is relatively new to the game (i think 1 year at most?) after reading his balance threads I think he would be a good choice for "RA community head balance mgr".
His suggestions aren't too radical (except that experimental naval rebalance...mistakes were made ^^) and most importantly well-explained.
He also listens to other people.

@ Smitty just don't expect changes implemented it to be easy or quick. You will need a lot of patience.

Smitty has my vote as well (if democracy were a thing here at all ;) ).
Last edited by SirCake on Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Check out Dune2k-Advanced on my moddb page!

OMnom

Post by OMnom »

SirCake wrote: Though Smitty is relatively new to the game (i think 1 year at most?) after reading his balance threads I think he would be a good choice for "community head balance mgr".
His suggestions aren't too radical (except that experimental naval rebalance...mistakes were made ^^) and most importantly well-explained.
He also listens to other people.

@ Smitty just don't expect changes implemented it to be easy or quick. You will need a lot of patience.

Smitty has my vote as well (if democracy were a thing here at all ;) ).
That experimental navy thing was mine, not Smittys.

AMHOL

Post by AMHOL »

Thanks for all the time, effort and contributions you've put in over the years SoScared, I learned how to play the game (quite badly some would say) from binge watching your content as I'm sure many others did.

It's hard to maintain involvement to that level once your interests in what you're contributing to start to fade and that can be quite depressing, so it's good that you've realised that you need to do what's best for yourself, but you will be missed.

GLHF in whatever you do!

maceman

Post by maceman »

Sad to see you stepping down SoScared. I haven't played for very long but you always seemed to be doing something to try and improve / promote the game and I'm sure you've left your mark on it for a while to come. Hopefully see you about.

Hecthor Doomhammer

Post by Hecthor Doomhammer »

Wow, I take a break from this for a couple of week and I return to see SoScared leaving?
Take care of whatever it is that you need to take care of. I'm sure the community will welcome you back with open arms once you're ready!

camundahl

Post by camundahl »

SoScared i'll buy you tacos if you come back!

:cry:

WhoCares

Post by WhoCares »

I know there is a meme topic, but it felt better here :D
Attachments
balance to ra.jpg
balance to ra.jpg (154.32 KiB) Viewed 5636 times