Playtest Review Thread

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Clockwork

Playtest Review Thread

Post by Clockwork »

I've seen there is no playtest review thread yet so I'll start.

My Review:

I have played a single game (14 games now) vs NoobMapMaker and I already feel ive seen enough to pass judgement. I do not like the new UI everytime i do an A move or stop micro I get a click sound that never existed before. The stance changes, I've never hated a change so much in my entire life. Im constantly getting caught out I had to change stances to attack buildings which made my my men aggressive barbarians and being slaughtered, the stop micro doesnt even work on them they have bloodlust. Double ref will now trump WF first completely early game as there is no oil derrick WF first can use as a sponge I expect double ref to become the exclusive meta as it is already doing. I can go on about how bad it is trust me its bad 😂 Now I heard that it was introduced to combat base pushing. I will spend time and effort to make a detailed thread or video on how to combat
base pushing it is easy. Ild rather that than this change go through. Other than that I dont understand why this change was even used it just looks like it was for shits and giggles.

Now for the good. Tank changes I love them its very nice. The service depot change with the fast repair I dont know if it was on or not but in theory its an amazing idea keep that. I only played one game so I didnt see any other changes. I didnt get to see the new hit things for buildings because thanks to the stance thing I couldnt kill any without losing an entire army so I had to win through an eco strangle.

That is my very negative review im sure someone has more posiitive views I beg everyone to leave feedback even if it is negative the players must be heard it is our game otherwise some weird change like bounty removal will come into place.

With love, Happy.
Last edited by Clockwork on Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

@Happy: You had one game tho. What happens when you get plenty? :)

A quick mention on the unit stances, a significant part of it it seems to get used to the unit stance hotkeys which seem to be very nicely placed intuitively by default.

From a first glance the new unit stance feature looks to be widening the micro skill gap a bit as switching it properly will gain players an edge. From the few games I've seen so far it looks very promising but please let's get a big fat sample.

Clockwork

Post by Clockwork »

I would play more but after the first game il'd rather not. I dont see this change making the game harder in requiring more skill I see it more like telling footballers to play one legged, to be honet I don't see a difference in skill gap to be good you have to be good at micro and macro. Players who concentrate on micro only or macro only get beat by players who are great at both like lorry or gatekeeper. I'm not a fan at all and I would like to see proof of top players liking it before I think it should be accepted and followed through with.

Orb

Post by Orb »

I like it. I wish the clicking noise was gone, but I like everything else about it. I've played, er...7 games? 3 against Master's level players. It directly nerfs barracks in your face strategy. It also buffs tesla coils a bit, for better or for worse. I find defending still extremely easy, as defenses are still very powerful compared to other RTS's. Just because you can run through barracks now doesn't mean two flanking pillboxes won't shred your army.

Since your barracks can be camped you can no longer reinforce directly in the battle, which is a nice plus as well. That made aggressive play too easy.

I'd play more games before condemning it. Any opinions based off of one game will be heavily biased because people dislike change. Disliking changing stances is just because you're used to the aggressive stance, a new player probably wouldn't bat an eye.

Take a look at the recent replay in 5Ace's thread of Smitty vs Barf. It was quite good and honestly played out pretty much normally.

WhoCares

Post by WhoCares »

EDIT : people have made clear to me what i have tried to express here is no undesrstood, i'll do a better consctructed post.
Last edited by WhoCares on Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clockwork

Post by Clockwork »

The problem is the switching is so terrible as soon as its aggressive stance they lose all their shit like i said and stop micro then refuses to work so my playstyle cant be continued. Too show this use defensive stance in normal RA and see how buggy it is. Im concluding its bullshit and I would play more but its so terrible ild rather not. Its like eating at a restaurant and getting food poisoning you dont want to go back no matter the deal. There are changes in the playtest like the tank change and service sepot changes but this is just random and was not asked for.

@Orb the clicking noises are annoying I agree. As for playing more I would but just no I even played tab edit more than once and I wasnt a fan of that.

Clockwork

Post by Clockwork »

I also would love that everyone who has an opinion comment. I've had 6 people tell me what Ive said is right but its meaningless unless its on here.

Raishiwi

Post by Raishiwi »

So I've played 20 or 25 games, and I'm gonna break from my friends on this one. I really like the stance dancing change. It seems to make the most difference in early and mid game to me, late game feels similar to live just because of aty/v2 count. Timing pushes are a much more real thing and I can't wait until some of the top players get it figured out and come up with some new builds. The only thing I sort of wish is that barracks would be moved to defensive structures, I know it doesn't make sense lorewise, but it would slow down a push from just owning your base in d stance. As far as the implementation of the stance dancing, it actually feels really intuitive and it feels rewarding to swap back and forth, or better yet leave say for instance your tanks and infantry on D stance and your rockets on E stance.

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

WhoCares wrote: now we have a pretty hud but it's not that usefull, i'd hope with the hud we would be able to do some more advanced queue order like :
The command bar is a beginning, not an end. Future releases will hopefully work towards implementing improvements like those now that we have the command bar to motivate them.

WhoCares

Post by WhoCares »

That's good news.

One sugestion i have to make regarding the stances,

According to what happy is complaining, i gave it a thought and finally understood what he meant. In the new playtest, there is a good idea of targeting priority but it has been added in to the behavious stances. So players can only have their units in attack everything in the most agressive stance wich could tend to a berserk and suicidal behaviour from the units.

Right now the stances are

hold fire (ignore building), return fire (ignore building), defend (ignore building),agressive (attack anything) *the last stance is called officially attackanything*
the targeting priority still matter even in hold fire because it will play a part into AMOVE

So I sugest to separate in 2 categories the "ignore building and attack everything" from the classical stances :

1rt category : Behaviour :

* hold fire / defend / return fire / agressive [on an hotkey to cycle]

2de category : targeting :

* units + defense structure / everything (on another hotkey to cycle)

Separate that into 2 categories like I did could allow more flexibility and suits every playstyle.

as you can mix = defence + target everything (having your unit killing everything on their path without going berserk)

or agressive + ignore buildings (having your units going berserk but still not losing time on useless buildings)

I hope i made my point clear enought to be understood otherwise i could explain more.

I think that could suits everyplaystyle and make everybody happy (including HAPPY)
Last edited by WhoCares on Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.

CombineC

Post by CombineC »

Come Play Medieval Warfare instead! its great!

AoAGeneral1

Post by AoAGeneral1 »

@Happy: You need more games to conclude if its bad or not.

People don't like change. They like their comfort zones and when they get ruffled from their comfort zones they will get upset.

The definition of RTS is to bring someone out of their comfort zone so you can win games. The more musing part of RTS is you don't learn by winning. You learn by losing.

People in TD have mentioned how they like the stance changes for RA because it prevents as some have mentioned here which is placing barracks at someones face and tanking with it.

----------------

Try doing a few more games and mix up strategy ideas. Play against someone you know where you can test random builds and see how they work.

Clockwork

Post by Clockwork »

I only need one sip of piss to tell its bad not 5 glasses. It's not a point about i'm upset about change far from it It's such a bad feature. If you guys what to use stance changes then use the ones we have now. Ctri and Z goes to defensive stance why does nobody use that instead of just reworking the entire game? That's TD players, I don't commentate on TD changes apart from the recon bikes because they're ridiculous but that's a whole different can of worms. You guys you need to learn how to counter the barracks in your face strategy than just completely change the game because you can't take 15 minutes to learn the counter. As i've said if everyone wants it I will make a nice thread or video on how to counter base pushing so we can all learn how to counter it than change the entire game. It's as easy as countering artillery units like seriously. If you pay attention to to top tier games barely anyone base pushes unless its situational but we will base push anyone who isn't because it's so easy since you's do not know the counter and that's the honest truth.

AoAGeneral1

Post by AoAGeneral1 »

I said people in TD. Meaning players jumping back and forth between RA and TD mentioned about it.

As for the glasses that is called the hard truth and if that can't be swallowed then no one can help you.

The easiest way of countering barracks is more barracks itself with defenses and artillery/V2. Which turns into a same stat strategy of both players doing this. (Kinda amusing how the old RA96 multiplayer would play like this too.)

As for the stances I do like the easy use of it but im adapting. Im starting to find which is faster and which isn't in terms of key usage and choices. More thinking.

maceman

Post by maceman »

I've played half a dozen games and really like the updates so far (especially the stance changes and the hotbar).

The only thing I would suggest is changing the hotbar (A/S etc) sound to something different to the tab change. That's only because I keep pressing the wrong key (e.g. E instead of A) and taking the audio queue to mean it worked and they'll attack move, but instead I press the button to change tab (E) instead of A. Might just be me and my clumsy fingers though :p