Share your hotkey setup

... and tell how you use it!

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
MkIV

Share your hotkey setup

Post by MkIV »

Hello!

I thought it might be interesting to see how other players use hotkeys, what their setup looks like and which of the hotkeys are actually used.
So link your settings file and write some words about it!

As you can see from my configuration, I use keyboard scrolling bound to WASD. Keyboard scrolling allows you to use all your mouse movements to actually get stuff done - with mouse scrolling you have to move to the edges and back to where on the screen you want to do something.

The building tab hotkey will just open the building tab (who would have guessed) BUT there is a great thing about this hotkey: If you have a building "ready", pressing the building tab hotkey will select the building and enable you to place the structure in the moment it is ready. Just point at the location where you want to build the structure a second before it gets ready, hit the building tab hotkey and press your left or right mouse button. You will not have to select it from the menu and move it to the location - this saves like a second for every building (unless you have very fast mousespeed).

Bookmarks will allow you to jump to locations. I also like to use a bookmark for my homebase rather than to rely on the home-hotkey as this hotkey does not work if your home conyard or MCV is selected. They are especially useful on larger maps whereas on smaller maps you don't really need them.

Feel free to check out the setup in the linked file :)
Attachments
settings.yaml
(1.92 KiB) Downloaded 254 times

r0b0v

Re: Share your hotkey setup

Post by r0b0v »

MkIV wrote: Hello!
As you can see from my configuration, I use keyboard scrolling bound to WASD. Keyboard scrolling allows you to use all your mouse movements to actually get stuff done - with mouse scrolling you have to move to the edges and back to where on the screen you want to do something.
You can consider scrolling with pressed mouse middle button, then you have free WASD keys for other actions. You can also disable this edge scrolling.

eskimo

Post by eskimo »

Because team hot keys weren't changeable i didn't change mine around much at all.

I think i changed home to H, guard to G and D to deploy. Also switched round sell, repair, power down to a different order of Z,X,C + Ctrl.

Wippie

Post by Wippie »

100% standard

Clockwork

Post by Clockwork »

Standard but I switched home base from H to TAB

Raishiwi

Post by Raishiwi »

Finally, a post I can contribute to. I'm going to guess mine are going to be the most different, as I've never had to click to build a building or a unit. I currently run with an mmo mouse (razer naga) that has 12 side buttons that are editable to be used as keyboard functions. It is lined up with 4 rows of 3, just the way RA has its unit selection setup. It took some getting used to but now it keeps my macro in check really well. for the actual tabs, i.e. building, defense, infantry ect, I use QWERT. Q for building, all of the way to T for air. So what this means is if I want to build a barracks i just hit Q then my 2 on my mouse buttons. With other hotkeys, i use CAPSLOCK as my split key, just feels rewarding. I also use space bar for my home.

eskimo

Post by eskimo »

My mouse has 1 side button, i tried having it set as A move. That was far to much for me, let alone 12!

flamewh33l

my layout

Post by flamewh33l »

i'm basically a person who plays using the default config (not very interesting i know) but i use my number pad on my keyboard for powers from 1-6, i tend to use my mouse for whatever else, but if i need to refresh the page of servers it's has a handy 'double-click' function that is rapid fire as long as i hold it down.

http://www.quesh.co.uk/data/images/prod ... _LARGE.jpg - this is the keyboard i use

https://cdn.aldi-digital.ie/Gaming-Mous ... &h=630&r=4 - and that's the mouse i use

hope that is helpful, but then again: i find default is my better style (much like Times New Roman :P ) when playing.

Baird001

Post by Baird001 »

Thank you for the post. :lol: I'd like to try.
Last edited by Baird001 on Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

JOo

Post by JOo »

@Raishiwi you must have a midget or a hitchhiker's thumb (i did use the same mouse for the past 2-3 years) but i never got used to those buttons ... i simply lose the grip (and therefor movement) because of having to do something like a claw in order to use those buttons

Btw. i had to stop using it because the middle-mouse-button wore out ... ( openra-drag-map-scrolling) you might find that information useful to keep it longer alive then i did ...

depends on how you map-scroll though

Raishiwi

Post by Raishiwi »

JOo wrote: @Raishiwi you must have a midget or a hitchhiker's thumb (i did use the same mouse for the past 2-3 years) but i never got used to those buttons ... i simply lose the grip (and therefor movement) because of having to do something like a claw in order to use those buttons
just git gud.

JOo

Post by JOo »

Raishiwi wrote: just git gud.
im gonna get sexy for them ladies

Doomsday

Post by Doomsday »

There is a Swedish pro Dota 2 player, Pablo, who has 8 fingers. No excuses to be bad, guys.
The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.
-Sun Tzu