Power-outage only when infiltrating advanced powerplants

Discussion about the game and its default mods.

Power-outage only when infiltrating advanced powerplants ?

Yes
15%
No
85%

Total votes: 20

zinc

Post by zinc »

I guess you could maybe have an animation for the engi doing outside repair...

JOo

Post by JOo »

I dont think we need an repair-animation

JOo

Post by JOo »

we just let him enter the building

JOo

Post by JOo »

and then its fixed

JOo

Post by JOo »

how about that zinc ?

JOo

Post by JOo »

btw. zinc .... theres a button on the right that says "Edit" on every of your posts ... when you click it you can add another sentence to a post instead of creating a new post for every sentence

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

But what if a powerplant is damaged and theres a power shortage, will the engineer both repair it and fix the power outage?
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

zinc

Post by zinc »

JOo wrote: how about that zinc ?
That's probably better but then you have the issue that the engi already enters buildings for a different reason. So someone needs to work out a way of discriminating when the action should have result A or result B.

Maybe that's easy to do, or maybe not.

zinc

Post by zinc »

noobmapmaker wrote: But what if a powerplant is damaged and theres a power shortage, will the engineer both repair it and fix the power outage?
Maybe that's the easist way to do it?-- every time an engi enters a building it both looks to repair it, and fix the electricity sabotage?

You just need to make entry possible if either (a) there is sabotage, or (b) the building needs to be repaired (or both of course).

zinc

Post by zinc »

JOo wrote: btw. zinc .... theres a button on the right that says "Edit" on every of your posts ... when you click it you can add another sentence to a post instead of creating a new post for every sentence
I know about the edit, and already use it for correcting occasional spelling errors.

anjew

Post by anjew »

zinc wrote:
JOo wrote: btw. zinc .... theres a button on the right that says "Edit" on every of your posts ... when you click it you can add another sentence to a post instead of creating a new post for every sentence
I know about the edit, and already use it for correcting occasional spelling errors.
Im 100% sure that Microbit is telling you to edit your posts rather than spamming threads with triple posts.
Don't ask me how I know.
JOo wrote: we just let him enter the building
JOo wrote: and then its fixed
I'm curious if RA wants to keep engineers use consistent. RIght now there is external capture and then you need to use up engineers to repair (or remove power outage in this case). I'd like to see it kept consistent to add more use to engineers, currently you can hardly even use then when they are need to repair because they die to enemy fire before being consumed. It might actually become meta to keep an engineer around assisting with repair
Last edited by anjew on Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

zinc

Post by zinc »

Yes...

zinc

Post by zinc »

I know what microbit was saying thanks.

AoAGeneral1

Post by AoAGeneral1 »

Question itself to the issue and being ironic.

How long does it take to build an engineer when on low power?

How long does the spy low power last for?

JOo

Post by JOo »

anjew wrote: I'm curious if RA wants to keep engineers use consistent. RIght now there is external capture and then you need to use up engineers to repair (or remove power outage in this case). I'd like to see it kept consistent to add more use to engineers, currently you can hardly even use then when they are need to repair because they die to enemy fire before being consumed. It might actually become meta to keep an engineer around assisting with repair
I think theres a feature in the pipeline that allows to let him enter on the closest cell of a building (instead the middle of a building) that means , in the future you can let a engineer jump inside a building on the edge rather then waiting for him to reach the middle of it (and then probably getting shot before entering)

i've made the ticket for this in 2014
https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/issues/5183

and these are related :
https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/issues/11416
https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/issues/8064

and this here is the fix from paul , 20 days ago :

+* Changed units entering buildings to go to the closest point of the building, not the middle, lessening their chances of being crushed. #13495
https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/pull/13495

and the feature that allows this is the "hitshape-trait" update from reaperrr
https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/pull/13314

here a screen how it was before or "right now" (engineer tries to reach the yellow point) :

and how it will be after the hitshape-update (engineers can enter through all the pink crosses) :

AoAGeneral1 wrote: Question itself to the issue and being ironic.

How long does it take to build an engineer when on low power?

How long does the spy low power last for?
theres not really anything to reflect here ... you definitly want to have an engineer ready "beforehand" ... otherwise its not worth it

engineer is ready in 36 seconds under low power