Why do units automatically shoot at an enemy oil derrick?

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
AoAGeneral1

Post by AoAGeneral1 »

Capturing in RA you can't sell your buildings or move them. They are locked in place unless they manage to sell before the capture timer goes on.

avalach21

Post by avalach21 »

AoAGeneral1 wrote: Capturing in RA you can't sell your buildings or move them. They are locked in place unless they manage to sell before the capture timer goes on.
Yes I believe that I also recently found out your Construction Yard is "locked" while it is in the process of getting captured. I had a Pillbox ready to be built so I waited for the engineer to begin capturing the ConYard knowing he would be committed and wouldn't escape, but was surprised to find I was unable to build the Pillbox.. pretty significant difference in outcome and I'm not sure I agree with the design choice if that is how it's intended to work.

OMnom

Post by OMnom »

Sleipnir wrote: Making our autotarget work as originally intended and as implemented in the other games makes A-moving into an enemy base less viable, not more. Players would be required to explicitly target non-defense structures instead of just a-moving a blob through everything in their path.
Smitty's right in the sense that it would be game-changing, but I think this would probably be the most direct fix to the current basepushing problem. I would support at least testing this out before making further decisions.

As for the OP...deal with the game as it is right now.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

OMnom wrote: Smitty's right in the sense that it would be game-changing, but I think this would probably be the most direct fix to the current basepushing problem. I would support at least testing this out before making further decisions.
+1 to test is the main point. This is the type of thing that needs to be deferred to @Balance Council. It sounds like it would take a decent amount of time and effort to develop, so I would hope that anyone who tackles the issue understands the roadblocks.
"Do not trust the balance tzars (Smitty, Orb). They are making the changes either for the wrong reasons, for no reason at all, or just because they can and it makes them feel good." - Alex Jones

klaas

Post by klaas »

avalach21 wrote: if that is how it's intended to work.
It is intended to work like that.

Units not auto-targeting buildings would be an interesting change to the game. It would make capturing a base much easier, because you can a-move your army, and have engineers capture buildings directly after.

Not sure if it would decrease base pushing, because using defense structures as offences will still give you an larger effective force. It doesn't tip the advantage to either the defendant or attacker.
Last edited by klaas on Wed May 10, 2017 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

avalach21

Post by avalach21 »

klaas wrote:
avalach21 wrote: if that is how it's intended to work.
It is intended to work like that.
Cool, it makes sense. Just glad to know now