Your most stupid move in ORA

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
WhoCares

Your most stupid move in ORA

Post by WhoCares »

It's kind of a tradition to cast the best game, share the more interesting replays but ...

I was wondering, what is your worst play ?

I'll start with a pretty big one :

18:50 of the replay attached (don't bother watch the rest, we had a quite lame and boring game.)

-I have a medium blob, some tank and hinds to push a forward conyard + turret + AA gun
-I engage the structure and hear tanya firing,
-Locate the Tanya past the ennemy building fleeing, send the hind to snipe her before she wrecks my blob and pray that my units kills the AA gun in time.
-Losing 3 hinds, the AA gun is down my hinds arent firing, the tanya still running
- My hind are on top of the Tanya and WTF, it's my own Tanya, I had a Tanya, shit. !

I felt like very very stupid.

Wanna know yours.
Attachments
WhoCares-Gcave-Tanya-mistake.zip
(338.06 KiB) Downloaded 232 times

SirCake

Post by SirCake »

Sounds very funny :D
Add, that you are only allowed to post replays showing YOURSELF fail horribly - for thes sake of peace ;)

----
A pretty dumb move I made was in one of my past game vs Hi. I sold my ONLY Warfactory, to prevent his spy from entering... I mean, I could have sold ANY other building around it, and killed his spy with a spawned inf. Or just live with it. But no - I just sold it.^^ ...That cost me dearly later on

Also in the same game afer a successful attack on Hi's oil derrick I send my APC with 5 rockets to the back of his base to get me some harvester kills. I find one, unload in close proximity ..... aaand watch 4 of my 5 rocket soldiers get "auto harvested" instantly (a.k.a. crushed with no player input) by that singular harvester.
I was like .."Errr, that didn't go as planned..o.O"

Unfortuantely played on the playtest, so the replay is probably unreplayable. BUT its caught on SoScared's stream https://www.twitch.tv/videos/134726216
at 3:11:40 (watch the black dots wander in my base and the slight transformation(sell) of my purple big dot (warfactory) on the radar)
at 3:09:40 (full APC driving in the back-> SoS pans away and comes back later -> one rocket and APC left..)
----

Dont miss my awesome Dune2k mod maps later on the stream btw ;)
Attachments
OpenRA-2017-04-10T204012Z.orarep
Playtest version playtest-20170408. Map: FlipSide
(3.1 MiB) Downloaded 241 times

JuiceBox

Post by JuiceBox »

Am sorry I don't have the replay anymore but you can get the picture .

So I was Ukraine I have a massive blob ready to attack. Plan was to send in a demo truck drop the para bombs Iron Curtain the tanks A Move simple.

Curiosity got the better of me so I IC the demo truck instead.

Bad idea. Baaaad idea.
"I love the smell of JuiceBoxes in the morning"
LT. COL. Bill Kilgore
Apocalypse Now

fernoe

Post by fernoe »

My opponent kept attacking my harvesters and eventually destroyed them all when i wasnt paying attention. A few minutes later, my money ran out and i realised what had hapened, but i was trying to attack hos base, so i built a load of harvesters and went straight back to attacking. A few minutes later, my money ran out again, so checked my harvesters and realised i'd built 13 and only had 1 refinery (i had built others, but they got nuked), so they depleted two entire ore fields and got stuck all trying to get into the one refinery at the same time.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

I dont have the replay anymore, but it was live on SoScared's stream in a RAGL S02 game.

I had prepared a flamethrower/rocketinfantry attack in an APC. While moving it to my opponents base I encountered an engineer. I wanted to gun it down, but accidently unloaded my units. Then somehow I selected only the rocket infantry, loading them back in the APC. Wanted to add the flamethrowers, but that resulted in the rocketinfantry exiting the APC, while the flamethrowers embarked. Meanwhile my opponent's infantry arrived and I more or less panicked an repeated the embarking/disembarking and everyone got gunned down while entering and exiting the APC....
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

SirCake

Post by SirCake »

@NNM Thats pretty funny :DxD

WhoCares

Post by WhoCares »

I got in my face the record of most deadly Demo truck

29 000 of units gone in a boom

will be very hard to top that.

(my stupid move would have been not to scout that truck)

hee the replay, fast forward until you see my opponenet demo exiting wf and heading at my ridiculous blob.
Attachments
demo truck record 29000.orarep
(856.55 KiB) Downloaded 222 times

3.Lucian

Post by 3.Lucian »

i think generally the worst thing i have done (repeatedly), is press F instead of E when meaning to drop a war factory, packing up the mcv instead. great way to put yourself 45 seconds behind.

netnazgul

Post by netnazgul »

3.Lucian wrote: i think generally the worst thing i have done (repeatedly), is press F instead of E when meaning to drop a war factory, packing up the mcv instead. great way to put yourself 45 seconds behind.
Pressing Z instread of C on a conyard is much worse, believe me, I know :lol:

WhoCares

Post by WhoCares »

There is the infamous chat : qqqqqqqsssssss

When you finally says that, you enemy realizes why your unit were in move command all along.

also works with : "fffffsffffsfff" for conyard that dose'nt deploy

and at last the infamous gl hF out of chat box that f**** you up right at the beggining of the game.

Doomsday

Post by Doomsday »

WhoCares wrote: There is the infamous chat : qqqqqqqsssssss

When you finally says that, you enemy realizes why your unit were in move command all along.
lol'd

I think I have seen all the possible variations of WhoCares' "sorry man, re - I fucked up build order": Idle build ques, canceling important buildings and queing things in wrong order.

I get triggered when I realise my WF has been idle for 1 minute or more in early game. Fortunately it does not happen often anymore.
The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.
-Sun Tzu

eskimo

Post by eskimo »

...building a demo truck and forgetting about it, WF relay hasn't been set.

That was ages ago. But i learnt that lesson rather well.

ICing a moving unit fail is also a good one.

Chewey

Post by Chewey »

I have too many to list, but had some beauties in my games against Spy and Fiveaces on his stream last week.

Detonated demo truck accidentally in middle of nowhere,
Parabombed own army,
Pulled back mcv from enemy push led by hijacker (yip - It happened)

kyrylo

Post by kyrylo »

On Sidestep, I mined the middle area, then built a demo truck at the 5 o'clock base and sent it through A-move to the 11 o'clock base of my opponent, and forgot about it. Guess where the demo truck driver decided to take a shortcut (and what blew up presently) :)

netnazgul

Post by netnazgul »

Yesterday I sacrificed >20K of assets on a mine field. Because I thought that it was already cleared by the previous suicide squads. Several times. :drunk: