Is OPENRA_DISPLAY_SCALE a cheat?

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
lucassss

Is OPENRA_DISPLAY_SCALE a cheat?

Post by lucassss »

I've noticed that in Linux version I can set this variable to whatever value that I want in order to get what ever zoom level that I want. This allows me to play the entire game zoomed out, reducing the need for a radar or for something similar. Doesn't this give me an unfair advantage? If you want everybody to be able to use this, why not provide people with a GUI option for it?

anjew

Re: Is OPENRA_DISPLAY_SCALE a cheat?

Post by anjew »

lucassss wrote: I've noticed that in Linux version I can set this variable to whatever value that I want in order to get what ever zoom level that I want. This allows me to play the entire game zoomed out, reducing the need for a radar or for something similar. Doesn't this give me an unfair advantage? If you want everybody to be able to use this, why not provide people with a GUI option for it?
This is interesting.
Can you zoom out as far as spectators while still playing?
i personally wouldn't call it a cheat since on some maps you can see the entire field but it should be supplied to all. Then again since its only on linux this may have been an oversight by the developers.

lucassss

Post by lucassss »

It essentially changes the zoom settings so that the default zoom is the spec zoom out and the doubled pixels are the old zoom.

anjew

Post by anjew »

lucassss wrote:
It essentially changes the zoom settings so that the default zoom is the spec zoom out and the doubled pixels are the old zoom.
I was talking to a dev and apparently this option is necessary since OpenRA cant figure out the scale itself. http://logs.openra.net/?year=2017&month ... 2#14:12:31

lucassss

Post by lucassss »

For starters, I would at least prevent this variable from being given values lesser than 1. Or I would make all zoom levels available during normal play and rethink the role of the radar's mini-map. Admittedly I would prefer the second since this game already gives an unfair advantage to people with better monitors.

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

Is it unfair or a cheat for a player to use a 4k display? There really isn't much difference, except that OPENRA_DISPLAY_SCALE < 1 will introduce graphical glitches that wouldn't occur on a native HiDPI display.

lucassss

Post by lucassss »

Another option could be for the lobby to report the resolution of each player, or for it to be saved in replays. This would allow knowing if resolution really gives an advantage, and would allow players to decide accordingly.

lucassss

Post by lucassss »

If you think that a 4k display is not a cheat, why not allow everyone to get access to all zoom levels and/or make the scale variable accessible via a UI. Is it just a matter of "somebody should implement that and we lack resources"? Or are there also balancing issues?

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

The display scale environment variable is there as a temporary stopgap so that OpenRA is playable for the growing number of people who run Linux on a HiDPI display.

Implementing zoom levels as an ingame feature is a lot more work to do properly, and isn't a priority feature right now. It would be unfair to tell those people that they can't play OpenRA at all until somebody gets around to implementing it.

anjew

Post by anjew »

lucassss wrote: If you think that a 4k display is not a cheat, why not allow everyone to get access to all zoom levels and/or make the scale variable accessible via a UI. Is it just a matter of "somebody should implement that and we lack resources"? Or are there also balancing issues?
As was pointed out in the irc chat i linked, it might be possible for Windows players to do this. Not in the UI but it could be possible, I haven't tried it

JOo

Post by JOo »

there are even players that actually enjoy playing OpenRA "zoomed in" (pixel doubling) ... as it gives more of a retro-feeling ...

AoAGeneral1

Post by AoAGeneral1 »

Im one of those players who plays zoomed in with double pixeling. Easier control on my units. (Exception being RA)

I do have some concerns with multi monitors. Last year I was at my friends house who has three monitors. I was able to play OpenRA with the center screen as normal. Left screen showed more of the battlefield as did the right screen. So it was playing at an awkward horizontal view range but you can see the battlefield from much farther away. If he had six screens you could see up above and left to right of the fields from where you looked. (Although six screens is rather rediculous for someone to own its interesting to note it is possible to do this.)

I will see about getting a picture later this year.

r0b0v

Post by r0b0v »

I read somewhere that it is a feature of some newer graphics cards, e.g. AOE2 in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zdal4DZsF50

ATI cards - it is called Eyefinity

SirCake

Post by SirCake »

Buy a 4K beamer and mouse control by laser-pointer and feel like real general command his troops from satelite view :D

jaZz_KCS

Post by jaZz_KCS »

r0b0v wrote: I read somewhere that it is a feature of some newer graphics cards, e.g. AOE2 in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zdal4DZsF50

ATI cards - it is called Eyefinity
TBH, although I can see the appeal, I would never use it. You definitely use the middle screen 98% of the time and the majority of instances where you look at the side screens is due to things like map, etc being on them. Looks more of a nuisance than a benefit. You can still see by looking at all the HUD elements on his triple screen that this game is meant for 4:3.

Games that have been designed in 4:3 are best played in that aspect ratio. I also think they do look much better that way.

When it comes to newer [RTS] titles I can see the benefit of being able to see much more of the battlefield at any given time, albeit I cannot see the appeal of going wider and wider ad infinitum. That triple-screen setup already makes me claustrophobic in regards to how much the vertical FOV is lacking now.
RAGL -->Replay Archive<--