Current units (buildings) selection panel

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
r0b0v

Current units (buildings) selection panel

Post by r0b0v »

Hi,

I am sure this was already discussed, proposed, maybe implemented.. I would like to know your opinion about a panel with currently selected units/buildings. Screenshot of working sample attached. How it could be improved, would you like to have it implemented in OpenRA?
Thanks

Edit: as proposed, the Selection tab was integrated in right sidebar
Attachments
OpenRA Selection panel
OpenRA Selection panel
OpenRA_SelectionPanel.jpg (76.35 KiB) Viewed 10483 times
OpenRA Selection tab
OpenRA Selection tab
OpenRA_SelectionTab.jpg (113.81 KiB) Viewed 10244 times
Last edited by r0b0v on Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Chimpo

Post by Chimpo »

what for

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I like the idea. But I believe it would only look good as part of a greater polished HUD at the bottom of the screen.
The problem there is if we start talking about what people would like to see in such a space, you're going to run into a very long and hard to implement laundry list of ideas. (I've got plenty of those by the way if you're up to the challenge :P )
"Do not trust the balance tzars (Smitty, Orb). They are making the changes either for the wrong reasons, for no reason at all, or just because they can and it makes them feel good." - Alex Jones

Clockwork

Post by Clockwork »

This would be a nice addition but other problems need to be solved first I sugguest takeing it to the github I'm not sure how much effort it would require Im not a dev.

Orb

Post by Orb »

That would be amazing. It would make the game a little less annoying to work with.

r0b0v

Post by r0b0v »

@Smitty It will be harder to agree on such larger HUD change than to implement it. This is smaller useful feature that would be optional and could be easier to agree on (but I don't expect it).
@Happy I have it mostly implemented so it is more about to agree on something between OpenRA users and members.

anjew

Post by anjew »

r0b0v wrote: @Happy I have it mostly implemented so it is more about to agree on something between OpenRA users and members.
Good to hear you have done the ground work. I would love something like this added. I feel there is more than enough space on the screen to implement this and making it optional is a good idea for those who want to make the game difficult for themselves.

Clockwork

Post by Clockwork »

Well I have full approval for this. Its a nice way to make to game a bit more modern without impacting anything.

Doomsday

Post by Doomsday »

At least personally I would appriciate this feature.
The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.
-Sun Tzu

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

It would be nice IMO to see this integrated with the sidebar, like the contextual tab in C&C3/RA3.

r0b0v

Post by r0b0v »

Sleipnir wrote: It would be nice IMO to see this integrated with the sidebar, like the contextual tab in C&C3/RA3.
I understand it takes less space, but for me it would be less useful. I could view army composition and quickly (de)select units anytime without switching between production tabs.

OMnom

Post by OMnom »

I think if you had the icons stacked and aligned to the left as a 2nd sidebar, it'd be awesome.

Personally, I think it would be amazing if you were able to select and deselect with the keyboard instead of your mouse. I did something similar in-game where I fenced in a rocket soldier, on a separate screen, to only select the rocket soldiers out from my other groups on a different screen by using "select all units of same type on screen" hotkey.

r0b0v

Post by r0b0v »

OMnom wrote: I think if you had the icons stacked and aligned to the left as a 2nd sidebar, it'd be awesome.
On left side you already have support powers. It would need to start e.g. in middle and in case you had many different type of units selected.. maybe with smaller icons?

you mean you would look at the selection, see rocket soldiers in 3rd place so press sth like Alt+3 to select only these units? I am not sure this would be accepted.

OMnom

Post by OMnom »

r0b0v wrote:
OMnom wrote: I think if you had the icons stacked and aligned to the left as a 2nd sidebar, it'd be awesome.
On left side you already have support powers. It would need to start e.g. in middle and in case you had many different type of units selected.. maybe with smaller icons?

Yeah, middle of the left side would be good. Come to think of it, middle of the right side would be good as well, perhaps integrated with the main sidebar, as Sleipnir has previously mentioned.

you mean you would look at the selection, see rocket soldiers in 3rd place so press sth like Alt+3 to select only these units? I am not sure this would be accepted.
And yeah, something like that. I guarantee that people would use this in place of having a separate hotkey for only rockets. Why do you think this wouldn't be accepted?

r0b0v

Post by r0b0v »

Only guess - there was an issue/request for 'Reload aircraft' hotkey (not all as with F), which wasn't liked.

On right side you mean as another tab (I didn't like in TW3 to have always switch to this tab and back) or in some place always visible (if choosen by user?).
Personally I don't care if it will be left/bottom/right side, just to have it available always.

Edit: Thinking about it having a hotkey for 'Selection tab' in addition to production tabs could also work.
Last edited by r0b0v on Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.