Dune 2K's AI difficulty?

Omnius = Easy or am I an idiot?

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
wymario

Dune 2K's AI difficulty?

Post by wymario »

So, I'm a bit new to OpenRA, and I'm a bit baffled by a certain design decision with the Dune 2000 mod. Namely, the AI "difficulties" have names instead of behaviors or difficulty names. It's screwing me up because I have no idea what they translate to. So, what does each AI do?

abcdefg30

Post by abcdefg30 »

There isn't a clear definition on which AI does what. Some thoughts can be found at http://www.sleipnirstuff.com/forum/view ... 82&t=17676 however.

abcdefg30

Post by abcdefg30 »

Fun fact, "discovered" by JOo/microbit: Omnious is the name of the leader of the thinking machines in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune:_The_Machine_Crusade . I couldn't find anything on the other names though.

-Jes-

Post by -Jes- »

The AIs aren't in any way related to difficulty, but rather unit preferences and attack force sizes.

The two other names are just random, similar sounding names.

scouby999

Re: Dune 2K's AI difficulty?

Post by scouby999 »

Hello everyone, and thank you for welcoming me among you.

First of all, thank you to everyone who keeps this game (Dune 2000) running flawlessly today.

I am 45 years old, and played at the time in Dune 2 which I loved. I don't think I played Dune 2000, but maybe (my mind is confused a bit ...).

I have questions for you regarding the difficulty of the game.

I play alone, in "missions" mode.

On the Dune 2000 version of "GruntMods" in normal mode with Harkonen, I get to level 7 without too much difficulty.

On the OpenRA version, in easy mode, slow speed, I passed level 4. I failed miserably on all the following missions despite several attempts and watching videos of people who succeeded in "hard" ...

Can you tell me if the OpenRA version has a higher difficulty than the original even on easy or is it just me following bad?

Sorry for the language, I'm using a translator ...

abcdefg30

Post by abcdefg30 »

Hi, the OpenRA missions might indeed be more difficult. My strategy usually is to have a lot of simple rifle men, but I don't know if that works any more.

Alien_Fromspace

Post by Alien_Fromspace »

I am experiencing a similar situation. I played Harkonnen Level 6 which took a long time to finish. Not exactly what I remembered from the original.

I played Harkonnen level 8, several times, different tactics. It's just too difficult, even/especially on Easy.
I get attacked by enemy units very quickly and while I can take out the first few waves, a Saboteur comes by and destroys one of the few buildings I have at that point. I just don't have sufficient time to (re)build and get more structures up and running before getting swarmed by advanced units and get destroyed. The 2nd and even 3rd Saboteur are sent too quickly too, for my comfort, considering the increasingly stronger attack waves.

Training lots of Light Infantry doesn't work since the enemy starts sending out Siege Tanks which by that time I cannot destroy since my capable Tanks are destroyed by that time. I honestly don't feel like playing 30 times over to discover a way to simply stay alive long enough to get a capable base up and running, let alone take a crack at attacking the enemies.

TL;DR In its current form, I am not enjoying this version. I would plead for changing the effect of the difficulty setting, because "easy" is not easy at all. I dare not imagine how a newcomer would experience this version.

Kefka2200

Post by Kefka2200 »

I truly apologize…I’m new as well. I just downloaded openra on my steam deck to play Dune 2000…i started the setup process but it only set up c&c…how do i get to dune??? Please help.

scouby999

Post by scouby999 »

Hello, I don't know if it's a bug, but I noticed (on custom 0.8 maps) that during games between humans (3) and bots (5) (in FFA for the last one yesterday), as soon as there is only one human left in play, the bots stop attacking or collecting spice, despite having plenty of spice available in front of their base...

Have you noticed this pb?

VPedge

Post by VPedge »

Alien_Fromspace wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:16 pm
I am experiencing a similar situation. I played Harkonnen Level 6 which took a long time to finish. Not exactly what I remembered from the original.

I played Harkonnen level 8, several times, different tactics. It's just too difficult, even/especially on Easy.
I get attacked by enemy units very quickly and while I can take out the first few waves, a Saboteur comes by and destroys one of the few buildings I have at that point. I just don't have sufficient time to (re)build and get more structures up and running before getting swarmed by advanced units and get destroyed. The 2nd and even 3rd Saboteur are sent too quickly too, for my comfort, considering the increasingly stronger attack waves.

Training lots of Light Infantry doesn't work since the enemy starts sending out Siege Tanks which by that time I cannot destroy since my capable Tanks are destroyed by that time. I honestly don't feel like playing 30 times over to discover a way to simply stay alive long enough to get a capable base up and running, let alone take a crack at attacking the enemies.

TL;DR In its current form, I am not enjoying this version. I would plead for changing the effect of the difficulty setting, because "easy" is not easy at all. I dare not imagine how a newcomer would experience this version.
harkonnen mission 9 legit unplayable lol don't even have you mcv deployed and you get swarmed with mass amounts of enemy units right out the gate

buckeye9

Post by buckeye9 »

I agree with previous comments. Harkonnen Mission 8 is very likely too difficult. I'm playing on normal. If anyone knows the right strategy...please let us know!

porschedaniel

Post by porschedaniel »

ladygaga wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 1:45 am
The AI difficulty levels in the Dune 2000 mod of OpenRA are named after characters from the Dune universe, and they are intended to reflect the varying degrees of challenge that each character poses.

Here's a breakdown of the AI behaviors for each difficulty level:

Easy: Baron Harkonnen - This AI is the easiest to beat and will generally focus on building up its base before attacking. It is not particularly aggressive and is vulnerable to early attacks. dream about angels

Medium: House Atreides - This AI is more aggressive than the Baron Harkonnen, and will typically send out scouts to explore the map before launching a full-scale attack. It is still beatable with basic strategies but requires more attention to defense. 911 angel number

Hard: House Ordos - This AI is the most challenging of the three main difficulty levels. It is extremely aggressive and will launch early attacks while also building up its own base. It is adept at using various unit types and will require careful planning to defeat.

Brutal: Emperor Corrino - This AI is the most difficult level in the game and is intended for experienced players.positive words that start with s It is extremely aggressive and will launch early attacks while also building up its base. It will use advanced tactics and strategies to defeat the player and will require careful planning and execution to overcome.

In addition to the main AI difficulty levels, there are also some additional difficulty levels available, such as "Easy+" and "Medium+". These are intended to provide an intermediate step between the main difficulty levels and are slightly more challenging than their counterparts.
What makes House Ordos regarded as hard? It's my favorite (and in my opinion, easy or medium) level. And, well, Emperor Corrino's ruthlessness adds an extra layer of difficulty!! :evil: