Dune 2K's AI difficulty?

Omnius = Easy or am I an idiot?

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
wymario

Dune 2K's AI difficulty?

Post by wymario »

So, I'm a bit new to OpenRA, and I'm a bit baffled by a certain design decision with the Dune 2000 mod. Namely, the AI "difficulties" have names instead of behaviors or difficulty names. It's screwing me up because I have no idea what they translate to. So, what does each AI do?

abcdefg30

Post by abcdefg30 »

There isn't a clear definition on which AI does what. Some thoughts can be found at http://www.sleipnirstuff.com/forum/view ... 82&t=17676 however.

abcdefg30

Post by abcdefg30 »

Fun fact, "discovered" by JOo/microbit: Omnious is the name of the leader of the thinking machines in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dune:_The_Machine_Crusade . I couldn't find anything on the other names though.

-Jes-

Post by -Jes- »

The AIs aren't in any way related to difficulty, but rather unit preferences and attack force sizes.

The two other names are just random, similar sounding names.

scouby999

Re: Dune 2K's AI difficulty?

Post by scouby999 »

Hello everyone, and thank you for welcoming me among you.

First of all, thank you to everyone who keeps this game (Dune 2000) running flawlessly today.

I am 45 years old, and played at the time in Dune 2 which I loved. I don't think I played Dune 2000, but maybe (my mind is confused a bit ...).

I have questions for you regarding the difficulty of the game.

I play alone, in "missions" mode.

On the Dune 2000 version of "GruntMods" in normal mode with Harkonen, I get to level 7 without too much difficulty.

On the OpenRA version, in easy mode, slow speed, I passed level 4. I failed miserably on all the following missions despite several attempts and watching videos of people who succeeded in "hard" ...

Can you tell me if the OpenRA version has a higher difficulty than the original even on easy or is it just me following bad?

Sorry for the language, I'm using a translator ...

abcdefg30

Re: Dune 2K's AI difficulty?

Post by abcdefg30 »

Hi, the OpenRA missions might indeed be more difficult. My strategy usually is to have a lot of simple rifle men, but I don't know if that works any more.