Aircraft in Interior Maps

Should Not Be Possible

Discussion about the game and its default mods.

Should Aircraft (Helicopters, planes, bomber planes, and cargo drop planes) be allowed in Interior maps?

Yes
38%
No
62%

Total votes: 21

RadicalEdward2

Aircraft in Interior Maps

Post by RadicalEdward2 »

(Updated to avoid having to make two posts)

So I'm trying to make my first interior map and I was wondering, are aircraft units and air-abilities disabled by default on Interior maps?

I know this sounds like a dumb question but, I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask before testing out the map to discover helicopters and planes zooming over black areas that would be considered "solid Earth".
Last edited by RadicalEdward2 on Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

OMnom

Post by OMnom »

RadicalEdward2

Post by RadicalEdward2 »

RadicalEdward2 wrote:
OMnom wrote: No, the tech level settings have nothing to do with the map itself. You can have crates, parabombs, and airplanes on all maps by default.
So you're telling me, this:
and this:

...can happen in-game and it hasn't been fixed yet?

I guess it wasn't a dumb question then.
That's a pretty big issue. Subterranean planes and obligatory AA guns miles below the Earth's surface.
That shouldn't be possible.
I thought terrain-specific parameters would have been implemented by now.
Originally, I was going to move and resume this in a throwaway question thread because I thought I was asking a stupid question but, it turns out I was right for not trying to remove this post.

This is a rather big issue.
Planes and helicopters should not be able to fly around in/out of solid black areas (underground).
In fact, aircraft and aircraft production shouldn't be allowed in Interior maps. They're aircraft; not the worm thing from Dune or Tremors.

Additionally, crates for Interior maps should have the old system where they simply spawn into existence.

Having aircraft allowed in underground Interior maps just makes it another straw in a haystack for aircraft heavy combat when they were intended as maps to show how well players could manage without having to rely on aircraft or navy.

The only way planes were allowed in the old game was through cheat codes and it should stay that way.

Doomsday

Post by Doomsday »

I agree it would make sense for interior maps to not have air units.
The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.
-Sun Tzu

Clockwork

Post by Clockwork »

How do you fit a powerplant in an interior zone?

OMnom

Post by OMnom »

You can change the yaml codes yourself if you don't want your interior maps to have aircraft.

/endthread

Doomsday

Post by Doomsday »

Tanks moving in interior space is also quite sketchy. I would imagine interior maps are bit of a lost cause and reserved for stuff like single player campaigns.
The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.
-Sun Tzu

IronScion

Post by IronScion »

Proof of hollow Earth?

RadicalEdward2

Post by RadicalEdward2 »

Doomsday wrote: Tanks moving in interior space is also quite sketchy. I would imagine interior maps are bit of a lost cause and reserved for stuff like single player campaigns.
Tanks in Interior maps make sense because Underground facilities being used to transfer heavy vehicles existed both in-game and in real-life. Aircraft zip zooming underground is a completely different spectrum.

If aircraft are going to allowed in underground maps, might as well remove the theme entirely because it's on-par with imaginary Army Men toy battles.

I can't even finish this map I spent days on because now I'm too occupied with placing AI AA guns all over the place because Interior maps can't behave as intended.

Now I have a quarter of the map squared off for what would have been power supplies for environment base defenses dedicated solely to meet the needs of several dozen AA guns. It looks awful.

If I actually have to tamper with the maps code just to make it function like it would, how do I ever do that? I'm by no means a programmer but, I don't want this map to go to waste because a weird majority prefers to exploit having aircraft phasing through the Earth like Tiberian Sun subterranean units.
Last edited by RadicalEdward2 on Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JuiceBox

Post by JuiceBox »

IronScion wrote: Proof of hollow Earth?
Proof people have too much time on thier hands
"I love the smell of JuiceBoxes in the morning"
LT. COL. Bill Kilgore
Apocalypse Now

Clockwork

Post by Clockwork »

Well if we're going on that logic you cant even play a game because how are you gonna construct a coal power station underground in a facility? Even if the space and height is somehow big enough your troops will choke to death on the pollutant gases if we are going for full realism. Even without that flaw heres a list of things that couldnt happen in this realistic enviroment
- Allied Barracks, cant pitch a tent on stone.
- Oil derricks
- Radar Dome, all the walls will interfer with the Radar.
- All artillery units but maybe we can push the v2s on their side so they shoot straight.
- Nuke silo and Demotruck, unless you want to bring the entire facility down.
- Minelayer
- Aerial Units
I could go on but lets just agree with Doomsday.

RadicalEdward2

Post by RadicalEdward2 »

I was in the middle of updating my previous comment when people replied.
Happy wrote: Well if we're going on that logic you cant even play a game because how are you gonna construct a coal power station underground in a facility? Even if the space and height is somehow big enough your troops will choke to death on the pollutant gases if we are going for full realism. Even without that flaw heres a list of things that couldnt happen in this realistic enviroment
- Allied Barracks, cant pitch a tent on stone.
- Oil derricks
- Radar Dome, all the walls will interfer with the Radar.
- All artillery units but maybe we can push the v2s on their side so they shoot straight.
- Nuke silo and Demotruck, unless you want to bring the entire facility down.
- Minelayer
- Aerial Units
I could go on but lets just agree with Doomsday.
Obviously there's grounds for exceptions but, I feel like we're willingly sacrificing a large piece of potentially interesting gameplay (no aircraft or naval) due to a lack of imagination or preference to simpler cut and dry combat (for a lack of better phrasing).

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

One reason interior maps aren't found in the official map pool (I was told at one time) was due to the logic of having aircraft available.

Would be interesting to see games w/o aircraft and AA but I don't think we'll see anything beyond modded maps.

RadicalEdward2

Post by RadicalEdward2 »

SoScared wrote: One reason interior maps aren't found in the official map pool (I was told at one time) was due to the logic of having aircraft available.

Would be interesting to see games w/o aircraft and AA but I don't think we'll see anything beyond modded maps.
Thank you! Finally, someone that actually agrees with me.

The thing is, the potential of ground based vehicle maps (Interiors) seems to be lost mostly due to the lack there of. If there isn't any existing examples to be used to see the true potential of the gametype, then it'll never see fruition.

It's like (ironically) inventing the first airplane.
If no one sees how feasible the concept can truly be, that's because nothing was done prior to it (outside of Icarus which was a horrible example for contrarians to use as a counter argument to the Wrights Brothers) to prove it's worth trying. Because of that, there's groups saying "Lets stay where we are. We don't need to fly. Why do we need to fly when we have trains, horses, and boats?"

I know I sound stupidly philosophical but, that's how ideas are made.
Progress (even in developing a game) can't be achieved unless the "norms" (the idea that planes can fly underground through what would be black natural/artificial barriers) is challenged.

I'll send you the map I'm working on once it's done.

OMnom

Post by OMnom »

RadicalEdward2 wrote:
SoScared wrote: One reason interior maps aren't found in the official map pool (I was told at one time) was due to the logic of having aircraft available.

Thank you! Finally, someone that actually agrees with me.

The thing is, the potential of ground based vehicle maps (Interiors) seems to be lost mostly due to the lack there of. If there isn't any existing examples to be used to see the true potential of the gametype, then it'll never see fruition.

It's like (ironically) inventing the first airplane.
Just go to the modding and map section of the forum and ask how to edit the yaml for your map.You don't have to know a single thing about programming or flying an airplane to mod a map. You're making a fuss over something that won't even take you 30m learn and fix.
Last edited by OMnom on Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.