Shocktroopers and Teslatanks zapping over walls ?

Discussion about the game and its default mods.

Keep is that way
52%
This is a issue
19%
I dont care
29%

Total votes: 21

JOo

Post by JOo »

so i have a ticket here that i've made a year ago ... https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/issues/11050 and i either just want to finally close it ... or put some attention to it to find out if it is actually an issue for anyone (and if so, raise the pressure for a change)

So the idea is to still allow Tesla-Coils zapping over a walls, but not shocktroopers and/or teslatanks

I could imagine this to slightly help in terms of "ukraine vs russia" gameplay ... as a simple solution to stop a blob of teslatroopers raiding ...

but im not really a soviet-player, so thats why i'd be interested on how this could effect the balance

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I don't think this would change much one way or the other. Just keep in mind without shocktroopers shooting over walls we woudn't have this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDiAlK2P7Lo

RadicalEdward2

Post by RadicalEdward2 »

Teslas should always be able to arc over walls. It's part of their perks.

The only reason they couldn't do that in RA2 was because their tech was downgraded as a result of their defeat from the past war (RA1).

JOo

Post by JOo »

tesla-coils shooting over walls would make sense in a way that the are just "higher" then walls ... or what is the reason for turrets getting blocked by walls?

I'd assume that troopers and/or teslatank shouldnt just shoot over it because they have less height.

i know it would sound strange that unit-height does have any meaning in openra ... but "balance" isnt the reason why turrets get blocked by walls. Wouldnt it make sense for a turret to shoot over a wall ? i mean from a base-defending perspective ... keeping the defense-structures and buildings behind walls ...

or what is the scientific reason for a zap getting "bended" over a wall and hit a target without having the attacker have actually visual contact of the enemy unit ?

As said , a Teslacoil makes sense ... but infantry and tanks ?
Last edited by JOo on Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Seems unlogical to me (b.o. Height), but logic is not always what counts. And perhaps their charge seeks the target?
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

JOo

Post by JOo »

Last edited by JOo on Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

JOo

Post by JOo »

noobmapmaker wrote: And perhaps their charge seeks the target?
That seem to be made up out of thin air and not quite a satisfying explanation ... considering that there wasnt any "thoughts" that did go into "unit" -teslazaps when the new bullet-block-mechanic got introduced ...

and that is what it gets handled as, in openra ... "as bullet" having the exception of not getting blocked by walls ... not as "guided" missile

klaas

Post by klaas »

If we apply this logic, also rocket soldiers should not be able to shoot over walls.

Walls are pretty strong as they are, I don't think we need to make them any stronger by blocking more weapon types.

Doomsday

Post by Doomsday »

I think all tesla weapons shooting over walls is a cool and interesting feature. I would not remove or change it.
The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.
-Sun Tzu

JOo

Post by JOo »

klaas wrote: If we apply this logic, also rocket soldiers should not be able to shoot over walls.
well the missiles "are" guided in the openra-rules ... and theres a strong similarity to todays missile-infrared guidance

anyway, i have not really a big interest on nitpicking here ... though i find it funny that theres so many people that think that its a problem to have hinds on allies side but dont give a flying f on the rest of the lost reality-reference especially towards weapon-logic
Doomsday wrote: I think all tesla weapons shooting over walls is a cool and interesting feature. I would not remove or change it.
its not a feature , its a decision probably made by a single contributer at the time when "collision detection for missiles and bullets" got introduced, though a tesla-zap is considered as bullet ingame and it got the exception of not being effected by collision-detection either on purpose or accidental ... but in any event, without discussing it with the community beforehand

some could even see it as a bug

DrLuke

Post by DrLuke »

Fact is: Shockies are extremely powerful when combined with walls. But then again, allies have the artillery which is the perfect counter for infantry.

It doesn't feel wildly unbalanced, as shockies + walls aren't a definitive game winner, so I'd keep it as it is.

abcdefg30

Post by abcdefg30 »

RadicalEdward2 wrote: Teslas should always be able to arc over walls. It's part of their perks.

The only reason they couldn't do that in RA2 was because their tech was downgraded as a result of their defeat from the past war (RA1).
If I remember correctly, Tesla Tanks could also shoot over walls in RA2.

klaas

Post by klaas »

JOo wrote: well the missiles "are" guided in the openra-rules ... and theres a strong similarity to todays missile-infrared guidance
You still need to see the target before you can guide a missile anywhere. Also todays infrared guided RPGs are not fired over walls, but rather with direct vision of the target.

JOo

Post by JOo »

klaas wrote:
JOo wrote: well the missiles "are" guided in the openra-rules ... and theres a strong similarity to todays missile-infrared guidance
You still need to see the target before you can guide a missile anywhere. Also todays infrared guided RPGs are not fired over walls, but rather with direct vision of the target.
not saying that its a perfect explanation ... but heat-seeking-infrared-guidance is giving atleast a whiff of a fantasy that i could agree with (for missiles)

i wonder if you could also zap over walls with shocks and ttanks in the original red alert

regardless, ill wait a day for any more votes ... and then close the 1-year-old ticket (unless the votes going towards it being an issue)

RadicalEdward2

Post by RadicalEdward2 »

JOo wrote:
noobmapmaker wrote: And perhaps their charge seeks the target?
That seem to be made up out of thin air and not quite a satisfying explanation ... considering that there wasnt any "thoughts" that did go into "unit" -teslazaps when the new bullet-block-mechanic got introduced ...

and that is what it gets handled as, in openra ... "as bullet" having the exception of not getting blocked by walls ... not as "guided" missile
Just to play Kane's Advocate, M1 Abrams are present in RA's WW2 even though they didn't exist for another 40-ish years. So, seeking charges sounds normal to me lol