The Huey is now complete

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Mortecha

The Huey is now complete

Post by Mortecha »

So it seems as though SoScared has decided to try his hand at some shping by trying to convert the Hind into a Cobra, two completely different helicopters. While I commend his effortsI think the final result will never look like one. And no offense to his work but it looks fugly.

https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/pull/12831

I'm also curious about the motive behind this, but I suspect it was a knee jerk reaction to the possibility of a re-balance due to the Hind being moved back over to the Soviets. However I'm more than happy with how the balance is now and would have much preferred a replacement of it with an appropriate Allied helicopter.

So the Huey is now ready to show and begin a PR. I have taken every precaution to make this as close to the vanilla units as possible and I'm quite happy with how it turned out. Ultimately at the end of the day, you guys decide which unit you want to have in OpenRA. Either way I'm just happy that there will no longer be a Hind in the Allied build tree.

Raishiwi

Post by Raishiwi »

Nice, and it looks like i'll still be able to lose 10 of these a game without killing anything with them still.

Mortecha

Post by Mortecha »

Yup, stats won't be touched to am afraid that would be the case. Unless you "micro" them more.

Either way, at least they won't be Hinds.

Found this and it made me chuckle.

Irnub

Post by Irnub »

Well, for whatever my input is worth I think the above heli looks great and fits just fine with the established RA graphical style.. It'd be cool to see it appear in the release version to replace the Hind :)

klaas

Post by klaas »

What I don't like is that it looks like the Longbow. For me it's hard to tell them apart.

Could you make it a 2 bladed helicopter maybe?

Mortecha

Post by Mortecha »

Thank you for the kind words Irnub:)
klaas wrote: What I don't like is that it looks like the Longbow. For me it's hard to tell them apart.

Could you make it a 2 bladed helicopter maybe?
That's a good point, I'll test out a two bladed rotor animation and see how it looks.

Matt

Re: The Huey is now complete

Post by Matt »

Mortecha wrote: And no offense to his work but it looks fugly.
Sounds pretty offensive to me, but never mind.

I like the originality of the Huey. Cobra and Hind are hard to distinguish as it is just a quick paint job.

Do you have an icon already?

zinc

Post by zinc »

But I thought original units weren't really wanted for open ra?

I don't see a problem with basically just renaming the hind with perhaps the most minor changes to the graphics, if any change at all.

If anyone were to object then-- it's just a game. It doesn't need to accurately represent the type of helicopter it's called.

It can just be "it's the hind renamed because it was switched to allies for balance reasons".

I think there is something to be said for keeping the original game's art over any worries about military authenticity.

Mortecha

Re: The Huey is now complete

Post by Mortecha »

Matt wrote: I like the originality of the Huey. Cobra and Hind are hard to distinguish as it is just a quick paint job.

Do you have an icon already?
The Huey seems like the most logical helicopter the Allies would be using for the role it performs in-game. I'm glad you like it:)

As for the cameo I'm working on a much higher quality one that matched Westwood's other cameos exactly, trying to get it done asap.

Mortecha

Further Progress

Post by Mortecha »

I realised that Huey is the slang name for this helicopter, and the official one is "Iroquois". Using this name conforms to a semi implemented naming convention as Chinook is used. If you rename the Longbow to Apache you'll have all their official and American Indian names:P

The Cameo has also been complete, it now not only looks good but also matches the other cameos it's surrounded by.

This cameo contains and older version of the cameo still with Huey.

I have also experimented with and completed a two bladed variant of the rotor. This will help distinguish this unit from the longbow.

NOTE: Just realised that I deleted a number of duplicate frames used to pad out the fps. so this animation is running faster than normal. The image below features the actual speed of the blades on normal game speed.

Materianer

Post by Materianer »

I don't think there is need to change hinds but if something is done to them, then please replace them with this unit.

This Cobra-hind hybrid is a strange thing and should not be added

I'm really impressed by the good work Mortecha is doing here.
The cameo is looking well, the two bladed rotor fits well to this unit and the gunfire is also just wow.

Good job you seem to be really skilled in doing things like this.

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

Looks to be some confusion as to what the Cobra PR is about: https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/pull/12831

In essence it's a renamed Hind - not a Cobra/Hind hybrid. As per PR the changes to the unit .shp are negligible and that's with intent. Except for the name change and the fire animation you'd barely notice the difference. Personally I don't care for adding new units to the game nor tweaking assets beyond recognition. As mentioned in the PR the Hind suffers uniquely by carrying the name of a Soviet unit and that's what the PR aims at specifically.

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

Mortecha wrote: So it seems as though SoScared has decided to try his hand at some shping by trying to convert the Hind into a Cobra, two completely different helicopters. While I commend his effortsI think the final result will never look like one.
I asked for Asking for clarification on IRC concerning this you stated there's no flaws in the .shp as-is but only to the extent that it doesn't confirm to your standards of realism. Just pointing that out since I (and apparently others) interpreted this line as critique of bad artwork.

Also bit dismayed that you misrepresented my intent (in the first line of this thread no less), willfully or not, despite our conversation over at https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/issues ... -281585256 and fleshing it out in detail on the PR.

I understand your adversarial role on the matter, I've done the same plenty in order to punch through a few changes but I'd suggest at least be more tactful when pulling in other people's work.
Last edited by SoScared on Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mortecha

Post by Mortecha »

Materianer wrote: I don't think there is need to change hinds but if something is done to them, then please replace them with this unit.

This Cobra-hind hybrid is a strange thing and should not be added

I'm really impressed by the good work Mortecha is doing here.
The cameo is looking well, the two bladed rotor fits well to this unit and the gunfire is also just wow.

Good job you seem to be really skilled in doing things like this.
Thank you for the kind words Materianer:) It's basically a Hind with clipped stub wings and a single canopy that was trying to pass for a Cobra.

SoScared wrote: Looks to be some confusion as to what the Cobra PR is about: https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/pull/12831

In essence it's a renamed Hind - not a Cobra/Hind hybrid. As per PR the changes to the unit .shp are negligible and that's with intent. Except for the name change and the fire animation you'd barely notice the difference. Personally I don't care for adding new units to the game nor tweaking assets beyond recognition. As mentioned in the PR the Hind suffers uniquely by carrying the name of a Soviet unit and that's what the PR aims at specifically.
That's all well and good, but without those stubwings, it looks out of proportion because of it's length. And while it may have a name change, no amount of tweaking would have prevented it from being identified as atleast part Hind, the chassis and tail are still dead give aways.

SoScared wrote:
Mortecha wrote: So it seems as though SoScared has decided to try his hand at some shping by trying to convert the Hind into a Cobra, two completely different helicopters. While I commend his effortsI think the final result will never look like one.
Asking for clarification on IRC concerning this you stated there's no flaws in the .shp as-is but only to the extent that it doesn't confirm to your standards of realism. Just pointing that out since I (and apparently others) interpreted this line as critique of bad artwork.

Also bit dismayed that you misrepresented my intent (in the first line of this thread no less), willfully or not, despite our conversation over at https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/issues ... -281585256 and fleshing it out in detail on the PR.

I understand your adversarial role on the matter, I've done the same plenty in order to punch through a few changes but I'd suggest at least be more tactful when pulling in other people's work.
Don't forget, I wrote the first line of this topic, calling your work fugly well before our conversation on IRC. I find this fact kind of amusing since you approached me about the fugliness so you knew this. It seems like your making this sound like I wrote this after we spoke.

Firstly I didn't misrepresent your intention. I am not working for you to further your goals. Also your intention wasn't in the clear to be misrepresented in the first place. I may have misinterpreted your intention, but I still don't exactly know what that is so I don't know for sure. Your pull request is also suspicious as it does highlight your intention somewhat, this hind/cobra is definitely not for a personal project.

I was thinking that you intention was to derail my ability to be able to add this unit into the game. I mean I was making progress updates and the like and you still kept on going, I tried talking to you about it but all you could say was that your preparing your pull request. What was I supposed to think? What is your intention and goal for creating this and making the PR anyway?

Well regarding clarification. You wanted to know why I thought it was fugly. And I said that you are trying to convert the Hind into a Cobra, but there are still distinct Hind components like the air frame(shell), tail and nose still remaining. All you have touched is the canopy and removed the stub wings. But you didn't want to listen to those, instead you wanted to know if it was an ok shp. And I said for what it's trying to do (Which by the way is to represent an attempt at converting a Hind into a Cobra) it's ok. And you where happy with that, even after dismissing my prior critique.

It's not the standards of realism, you are trying to convert a Hind into a Cobra, by just changing its canopy and cutting off it's wings, you do know that that's never going to come out well right? Also are you using lrotor or lrototlg?

Yeah I saw you as an adversary before our discussion, but afterwards, I had no issues, it was great talking to you actually.

Absolutely, in future there will hopefully not be an adversarial climate for more tact to be able to be utilised.

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

Mortecha wrote: Don't forget, I wrote the first line of this topic, calling your work fugly well before our conversation on IRC. I find this fact kind of amusing since you approached me about the fugliness so you knew this. It seems like your making this sound like I wrote this after we spoke.
That's on me. That line was supposed to start with "I asked for clarification...".
Mortecha wrote: Firstly I didn't misrepresent your intention. I am not working for you to further your goals. Also your intention wasn't in the clear to be misrepresented in the first place. ...
Oh please stop your "I don't work for you" tirade - you pulled that same crap with others in the community earlier when they argued against you. I don't see a reason for you to pull that cheap one on me.

From the github issue and comment you knew pretty well I didn't care at all about the Cobra .shp not looking like a real Cobra and that the alteration was merely a gesture so that narrows the rest of your comment down a bit doesn't it.

I'm not here to dilute your topic - just that discussing with you is like discussing with a moving target.