Red Alert Overhaul (third Soviet faction, Uzbekistan)

A complete overhaul of the game

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Fortnight

Post by Fortnight »

Here are the maps. They have been uploaded to resource.openra.net as well so it should work to just host them and others will download missing maps automatically when they join the server.

I've modified 10 maps: Barracuda, Bombardment Islands, Doubles, Dual Cold Front, Equal Opportunity, Man to Man, Polar Disorder, Sidestep, Winter Storm and Ysmir.

All have the same rule changes.

Attachments
fn2018maps.zip
Place the 10 .oramap files in for example:
C:/Program Files (x86)/OpenRA/mods/ra/maps
(162.47 KiB) Downloaded 226 times

Fortnight

Post by Fortnight »

These are the changes. Like I said I would I took the opportunity to also suggest a couple of other things that doesn't really involve the current meta gameplay. I think especially the gap generator changes makes it a lot more desirable and France getting early access to a mobile version of it should give much needed incentive to pick that faction.

Rocket Soldier rebalanced:
- Lower DPS. 80% longer reload.
- Damage per hit vs None: Unchanged.
- Damage per hit vs Wood: 32% less.
- Damage per hit vs Light: 47% more.
- Damage per hit vs Heavy: 10% less.
- Damage per hit vs Concrete: 50% less.
- RedEye (anti-air capabilities) has not been touched.

Sub Pen and Naval Yard grants a free Transport upon construction.

Offshore Oil Rig available in the naval build queue (same income as Oil Derrick).

Depth charges should now be able to destroy moving submarines.

All walls: 0 build time, non-crushable, blocks projectiles, non-sellable. Leaves debris.

Able to place walls on rough terrain, bridges and the beach. No adjacent requirement.

Gap G. prevents air vision completely, larger AOE. No effect on vehicles or infantry.

France only need Radar Dome to build its Mobile Gap Generator.

MAD Tank cost reduced to 1000 and it no longer shakes the screen.

WhoCares

Post by WhoCares »

I'll give it a shot out of curiosity, lets see how the rocket soldier revised modify the gameplay.

MGG seems very interesting and powerfull (and logical) denying air scouting.

WhoCares

Post by WhoCares »

double post sorry

early feedback :

rocket nerfed bring back the role of tank as soaking damage and dealing with base defenses is much harder. It seems to balances out as you can engage base defences with tank and they can take some punishment from the rocket defender and assume their soaking role longer as the infantry engage. Downside, infantry only is powerless to engage defenses without suffer huge losses.One side effect : Teslas are much harder to deal with,

that's for the rocket,it has only been 2 games and i'll keep testing it. Good sign, game felt different but not broken. Still it has only been 2 games.

MGG : it become from ornemental to OP, air is the only thing to deal with tanya and arties. If not directly at least to provide los for other lignt unit to flank and engage. Now it's just impossible as you can't estimate what is under the fog and there is nothing exept the ranger to provide the nessecary LOS. and the ranger can be sniped so easly a tier 2 it is irrelevant. Short version : MGG makes artie and tanya unsnipable. Result : enemy's infantry and air can't engage your army under mgg wich cuts the enemy fighting power by 80%. my opinion, not the way to go. edit, ofc, tested in a game and my anemy was powerless to counter a small army with only 3 arties.

my own sugestion for the mgg : same behaviour as the release one but with a switch toggle on/off so you activate it when you want to jam enemy's vision and deactivate it when you want your army to be discrete during the moving phases.
Last edited by WhoCares on Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

netnazgul

Post by netnazgul »

All walls: 0 build time, non-crushable, blocks projectiles, non-sellable. Leaves debris.
what is this one about?

Nerfing rocket soldier into the ground makes base defences more efficient, and WhoCares already mentioned teslas are thus becoming quite powerful. Right of the bat I can't imagine how to deal with multi-Tesla bases as allies without heavy losses.
Gap G. prevents air vision completely, larger AOE. No effect on vehicles or infantry.
There was some suggestion to swap gap generator's shroud with just fog of war generation and increase it's effectiveness a bit. Coupled with GPS lockout of course.
Removing air vision completely seems like a lot here.

SirCake

Post by SirCake »

There was some suggestion to swap gap generator's shroud with just fog of war generation and increase it's effectiveness a bit.
Except you can't "generate" fog of war with the engine currently. There isn't even a distinction between revealing fog of war and shroud. (MGG shroud is a "different" kind of shroud which isn't revealed as easily).
It would be nice to test out, but probably requires a lot of engine changes beforehand..
Last edited by SirCake on Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Check out Dune2k-Advanced on my moddb page!

WhoCares

Post by WhoCares »

Walls : it become more confortable and by the way easyer to shape wall perimeters but there instant appearance would make the defender (or mcv user in general) way too strong as you can wall off an entire assault instantly or protect your tesla instantly.

I like the fact that you can shape a "walling" way easier than waiting between every peice of wall. but there should be a delay between the placement and the effectiveness of the wall to prevent abuses.

example :

I instant build,spend the money and shape a nice perimeter but i know that all the walls i just placed will be "real" only after X seconds. i don't know what the engine can allow. there is plenty of way like, wall avatar becoming real after X second, well placed with 0 HP and gaining full life ovr X seconds, ect.

MlemandPurrs

Re: Red Alert Overhaul (third Soviet faction, Uzbekistan)

Post by MlemandPurrs »

where is those changes you have described for pages at ? the .zip attached at first post it had none of this..
edit: nevermind they all are in rao\overhaul .weird mod structure ive got to state.