Idea to counter WF block

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
ShadowAssassin

Idea to counter WF block

Post by ShadowAssassin »

I've been insulted many times for blocking a War Factory with a vehicle :lol: :lol:

Although there are counters to it, I thought about it, and actually it makes little sense for me, for instance, that a jeep can block a tank from going out.

So here's an idea : how about the door opens, and the unit within can start shooting at the blocking unit ?

In this case, a jeep can no longer easily block a tank from going out, but can still block a harvester. Or a tank can block another tank, so you need a better investment to use blocking tactics.

AoAGeneral1

Post by AoAGeneral1 »

This was actually common with CNC95 and RA96 where they would wait in the factory but can still attack and etc.

JOo

Post by JOo »

whats the state then when a vehicle is still inside a warf but can shoot out to destroy any blocking vehicles ?

is the vehicle finished ? or still in progress ? ...

... will i be able to chancel the production ? ...

what if its a jeep that i made ... or a flak ? would that make any difference if it can shoot on a blocking (light) tank ?

AoAGeneral1

Post by AoAGeneral1 »

Its considered finished.

As far as jeep or flak truck stuck in the WF and shooting a light tank? The light tank will then kill that unit and be able to produce another unit because they are both sitting on the same cell as the WF. So you can then get a counter tank out or etc to kill the light tank.

Fortnight

Post by Fortnight »

AoAGeneral1 wrote: This was actually common with CNC95 and RA96 where they would wait in the factory but can still attack and etc.
I recall this as well and was surprised that they didn't spawn inside the factory in OpenRA the first time I saw a block. I've always wondered if this deviation from the original game was intentional or not. Because if you think about it it makes sense that a tank should be able to shoot out of an open garage port while rolling out.

ShadowAssassin

Post by ShadowAssassin »

JOo wrote: whats the state then when a vehicle is still inside a warf but can shoot out to destroy any blocking vehicles ?

is the vehicle finished ? or still in progress ? ...

... will i be able to chancel the production ? ...

what if its a jeep that i made ... or a flak ? would that make any difference if it can shoot on a blocking (light) tank ?
Good points raised here.

- Finished : the dorr will only open when the vehicle is ready.
- Cancel : I think it won't be cancellable, when the unit pops out inside the Warf. If you need to cancel and produce a diff unit, you would need to react before it's finished.
- Tanks vs Light vehicles : the behaviour will favour Tanks vs light blocking vehicles. However, as you point out, light vehicles will be at disadvantage vs a blocking tank. Therefore, you would need to hold the production before it's ready, and find another counter to the tank. Or cancel it, and produce a tank instead.

There is the question of what happens if the tank dies inside the Warf ... might be more complicated than expected ... :z

JOo

Post by JOo »

a problem we have is ... if its a light-tank blocking the warf
... even if the "finished" vehicle inside can shoot and eventually
destroy the light-tank ... it will end up with a "husk" that can only get
destroyed fast by "force-firing" on the husk ... which isnt possible with the
finished vehicle that is still hidden under the warf ... since you arent
supposed to "select" it when its not outside ... or am i wrong ?

so we will end up anyway having to build a defense-structure ...
or send infantry to destroy the husk faster
Last edited by JOo on Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

ShadowAssassin

Post by ShadowAssassin »

You're right.

To sum up my thought :
- it can solve light vehicles blocking (VS ranger and flak)
- it can help fighting a blocking tank a tiny bit, but still with need of outer help

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

JOo wrote: finished vehicle that is still hidden under the warf ... since you arent
Units have a higher selection priority then buildings so if you were to drag a selection block over a warfactory with a unit inside it would select the unit rather than the war factory

ShadowAssassin

Post by ShadowAssassin »

Interesting Murto.

In that case, in case of similar tanks, the tank inside will have the advantage by shooting first at the blocking tank, then destroying the husk by selecting it.

JOo

Post by JOo »

Murto the Ray wrote:
JOo wrote: finished vehicle that is still hidden under the warf ... since you arent
Units have a higher selection priority then buildings so if you were to drag a selection block over a warfactory with a unit inside it would select the unit rather than the war factory
what about attack-priority ? ... if a unit is under the warf ... i would expect it to be in the center (or is it under the open door?) ... does that also mean , when im trying to attack the building ...that i can only damage the unit and not the building itself (as long as therer is one under the warf) ?
Last edited by JOo on Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JOo

Post by JOo »

-does that mean i can "crono" out my cronotanks from such a position ?
and can i crono "on" that position (inside a warf) ?

-will i be able to shoot down aircraft with flak from this spot ?

-when a unit is "finished" and blocked from outside ... what happens when im start building another vehicle ? will it start building till its finished and then be on hold ? so theres a cance that 2 vehicles come out if the first one is blocked long enough ?
or can a warf only start building the next vehicle when the first one is out ?

ShadowAssassin

Post by ShadowAssassin »

A seemingly easy-to-implement idea, yet that has many consequences indeed.

- Chrono out : yes, why not. But not into it ^_^. The cell inside is always occupied (presuming player is producing a unit).
- Flak shooting on aircraft : theoretically no. Might be difficult to code. But what's the chance of that happening anyway. So yes ;)
- Next unit : probably should be on hold, as the construction area is still occupied by the unit inside. Just as it is working right now.

klaas

Post by klaas »

If you can crono something out, it will come back at the same spot. What happens to the new unit that is produced in the mean time?

Personally I think it is fine as it is, no reason to complicate things if you don't have to.

Fortnight

Post by Fortnight »

JOo wrote: a problem we have is ... if its a light-tank blocking the warf
... even if the "finished" vehicle inside can shoot and eventually
destroy the light-tank ... it will end up with a "husk" that can only get
destroyed fast by "force-firing" on the husk ... which isnt possible with the
finished vehicle that is still hidden under the warf ... since you arent

so we will end up anyway having to build a defense-structure ...
or send infantry to destroy the husk faster
I think in the original game you could select the tank inside the War Factory using the drag-box. It's a problem that can be solved in any number of ways, one solution would be to just disallow husks from spawning in front of the War Factory. It's all just a question of how the devs want things to be. If the solution to issue A creates issue B then all you gotta do is think of the solution to issue B and repeat until you stop getting a new issue.