OpenRA on Retina/HiDPI displays

Custom release-20161019 build

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Sleipnir

OpenRA on Retina/HiDPI displays

Post by Sleipnir »

I've put together a little holiday gift for folk running OpenRA on high resolution displays.
The following links contain a custom build of release-20161019 with high-resolution text support:Support on OSX and Windows is automatic. On Linux you must explicitly define an OPENRA_DISPLAY_SCALE environment variable with an appropriate value (e.g. 2).
Last edited by Sleipnir on Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AoAGeneral1

Post by AoAGeneral1 »

Finally got this installed on my friends computer. Thanks very much for putting this together!

Fortnight

Post by Fortnight »

Nice work!

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Computer illiterate here.. what does it do?
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

Moz

Post by Moz »

Computer screens (tablets, but also external displays and laptops these days) can have a resolution that is way higher than the tradional 100-150 ppi (pixels per inch) these days.

As a result, if you render OpenRA on a 4K sized display (3840 × 2160) on, say, a 19" screen, you get 231 ppi which is really high, hence the name HiDPI (or "Retina" because it is high enough that your eye cannot see/distinguish the pixels). All software that is designed for regular displays that we had for the past 8 years will look really really small on such displays.

(Another example is new phones that have Full HD (1920 x 1080) displays while 32" Full HD TVs are also still sold, amazing big difference in resolution but not in pixels.)

Hence, the OS compensates for that by using (amongst other things) a scaling factor, thus making things bigger again, while the higher resolution still offers for rendering with more detail. Browsers do this also, and I guess, so should game engines... :)

Thanks for the build pchote, will try it out soon once I get my HiDPI laptop and screen later on.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Thanks! I need such elaborate explanations to understand :lol:
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

Moz

Post by Moz »

The HiDPI scaling works fine for me. I have a resolution of 3200x1800 on 13.3", so that amounts to a DPI of 276.

I run OpenRA on X(Wayland) using a scaling factor of 1.7 which seems fine (fonts/UI elements not small but still provide more real-estate). I do get this error:

Code: Select all

Failed to initialize hardware cursors. Falling back to software cursors.
Error was: Failed to create hardware cursor `scroll-t` - Index was outside the bounds of the array.

abcdefg30

Post by abcdefg30 »

This looks like a known error: OpenRA/OpenRA#10172 (although the message is slightly different).