Chinook and airdrops

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
JuiceBox

Chinook and airdrops

Post by JuiceBox »

In regards to the Chinook. I see no reason why they cannot lift a tank as they do irl. Idk if having 5 troops and a tank maybe abit too much but I would like to see them being used alot more. I have seen Chinooks carrying two armoured type vehicles (rangers /light tanks)just google images Chinook. I think it could open up alot of possibilities for an air mobile army that can out flank an enemy or sneak attack positions otherwise thought safe . Obviously excluding MCV.

I have always hated the para drop. 5 measly pesants dropped in at a random vector imo compares to a off course civilian sky diving session gone wrong. I think it should be meated up to 15-20 troops and you build your own badger! It sits on the airstrip gets loaded up and off it goes! If it's lucky enough to come back rinse repeat.

Food for thought maybe

AoAGeneral1

Post by AoAGeneral1 »

Hmmmm... well thats an interesting idea.

JuiceBox

Post by JuiceBox »

What one? Or both ? :P

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

My idea that never got any traction was: it takes 2 minutes to get the standard drop of 5 infantry units (= 120/5 = 24 seconds per infantry-unit)

For every 24 seconds you wait longer to drop you get an extra infantry unit in the drop.

So if you wait an extra 24 seconds (=144 seconds total) you get 6 infantry.
So If you wait an extra 240 seconds (=360 seconds total) you will get 15 infantry in a drop. Now the drop suddenly became a force to reckon with!
Last edited by noobmapmaker on Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

zinc

Post by zinc »

noobmapmaker wrote: My idea that never got any traction was: it takes 2 minutes to get the standard drop (= 120/5 = 24 seconds per infantry-unit)

For every 24 seconds you wait longer to drop you get an extra infantry unit in the drop. So If you wait an extra 240 seconds (+120 seconds from the initial count) you will get 15 units in a drop. Now the drop suddenly became a force to reckon with!
Not bad. Although surely extra rockets mixed in would be better? Or did you mean to include the rocket soldiers in infantry?

Maybe you could just allow up to 3 of them (for example) to be stored up and used all at the same time potentially.

af

Post by af »

noobmapmaker wrote: My idea that never got any traction was: it takes 2 minutes to get the standard drop of 5 infantry units (= 120/5 = 24 seconds per infantry-unit)

For every 24 seconds you wait longer to drop you get an extra infantry unit in the drop.

So if you wait an extra 24 seconds (=144 seconds total) you get 6 infantry.
So If you wait an extra 240 seconds (=360 seconds total) you will get 15 infantry in a drop. Now the drop suddenly became a force to reckon with!
This is a really cool idea! I agree that paratroopers are pretty "meh" right now and this could make them a lot more interesting. Probably want to cap the number of units you can get, otherwise this could be game-changing in a bad way.

Another idea for a small paratrooper buff would be to swap one of the riflemen for a rocket soldier. This would make the standard paradrop much more useful for raiding ore miners or taking out undefended buildings

JuiceBox

Post by JuiceBox »

If you could load up your own badger and move it like a MIG or yak that in theory would solve the airdrop direction problem as you choose your own vector. The allies can drop off with a Chinook at will all game without any time constraintas why shouldn't the soviets. The upside is You could load up the badger with what ever troops you see fit. fly in at what ever angle you like . The downside is it is no longer free, you have to pay for your troops, aircraft and micro manage. Unlike a Chinook drop once they are dropped there is no going back. I think it's a fair trade off .

scorp

Post by scorp »

in a little mod i was playing with a while ago a was using a special forces drop. You needed an airfield and an additional prerequisite to get it. It worked largely identical to the paradrop. It dropped an APC and a variety of infantry. You could use it for behind the lines sabotage or, coupled with the normal paratroopers, for a small attack force. There appears to be some experimenting going on with vetted paratroopers, that goes int a similar direction.

lucassss

Post by lucassss »

If you are making transports have weighted values for different passangers, you should also handle the naval transport. There's no logical reason for naval transport to be able to carry only 5 men without apc and 25 with it.

JuiceBox

Post by JuiceBox »

True lucass, very true.