Yaks vs infantry blobs

[idea]

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Wippie

Yaks vs infantry blobs

Post by Wippie »

I was thinking about the mechanics of a Yak attack plane.

A single yak plane can attack infantry blobs on various ways:
  • Attacking single units (or with shift-click multiple targets)
  • Attacking multiple targets with shift-click
  • Attack move into infantry blobs
  • Crashing into infantry blobs
A Yak has 2 20mm cannons on board, allowing it to fire high impact bullets in basically the line of flight. Therefore, wouldn't the most logical behaviour of this plane attacking infantry blobs by shooting a burst of bullets, hitting or not hitting the opponent much like infantry has a chance to dodge crushing of for example APC's?

To add to this dynamic, I would suggest the Yak range to be 1 cell greater then the rocket infantry-to-air range.

Please share your thoughts about this.

kyrylo

Post by kyrylo »

This is actually how it worked in the original game and I think there's a reason why it doesn't anymore (don't know what that reason is though).

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

The reason is that nobody ever felt like implementing strafe-attack logic for player-controlled aircraft.

scorp

Post by scorp »

Sleipnir wrote: The reason is that nobody ever felt like implementing strafe-attack logic for player-controlled aircraft.
honest answers are cool 8)

Yaks were a threat to infantry blobs in the original game and an important reason not to cluster up infantry. It would be nice to have that back in ORA instead of having to sacrifice Yaks for damage spread.

Back in the day i tried using damage spread for the Yak's guns to recreate Yak effectiveness againts infantry groups but it didn't have the desired effect. Maybe someone has a better idea though

Wippie

Post by Wippie »

scorp wrote: Back in the day i tried using damage spread for the Yak's guns to recreate Yak effectiveness againts infantry groups but it didn't have the desired effect. Maybe someone has a better idea though
I would recommend (without any coding-experience...) two attack-modes:
  • Click on a target to attack it: Do a burst-fire/strafe fire on the cell where the unit is, with every unit on this cell having a 'X' change of getting shot by 1 or more bullets. This should cost around 1/3 of the available ammo.
  • Attack move: Do a burst-fire/strafe fire on the cell of the targets location and the cell before/after that cell , with every unit on this cell having a 'X' change of getting shot by 1 or more bullets. After this move, the Yak should have no ammo left.