MCV Balance Playtesting

this is coming from the guy who abuses them the most

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
OMnom

Post by OMnom »

Doomsday wrote: I also dislike moving tech buildings into a different tab.

Different people have different opinions on what's good game balance. To me it's quite important to have different viable openings - games could quickly become boring if all players do same build order each time. Optimally I would like to see both quick service depot and quick radar dome viable. For the first few minutes of the game we already see different openings being viable - double refinery and quick war factory can both work. Heck, we have even seen viable triple refinery before war factory. To me all different build orders don't have to be perfectly balanced - I think it's alright for some openings to be "better in a vacuum" if some build orders are good in certain maps or for a niche strategy. As an example, I will mention Gatekeeper's game in RAGL S2, R07 against FiveAces where he went for quick radar dome into 3 Airfields and Yaks (before service depot). I assume his idea was to snipe FiveAces' first expand in order to make it pay off. In the end Gatekeeper wasn't able to do so and ended up losing to FiveAces.

What I dislike about moving radar dome and tech center into different build tab is how it forces everyone to play the same build order. This is especially the case because with Omnom's current test build where service depot is required for building the radar dome. So with these changes, we would see everyone going for more or less same build order. Also, radar dome and tech center being in defense tab is really unintuitive and changes fundamental aspects of the game. I would prefer to nerf MCV spam and base push with different tools.

So here's my proposal. Remove BuildDurationModifier from MCV. It would change MCV build time from 32 seconds to 40 seconds. It would not nerf gameplan of single expand player significantly - by just 8 seconds. However, it would be quite a significant nerf to player spamming 4 MCVs: that would be total of 32 seconds slower build capacity (build time of about two mobile flaks or light tanks).

In addition to removing MCV BuildDurationModifier, I propose adding BuildDurationModifier to Radar Dome and Tech Center and possibly adjusting their price as well. This would keep tech being an expensive investment but faster build time would not put teching player as behind as tech tends to do in current live build. BuildDurationModifier 40 on Radar Dome would make build time about 8 seconds faster than currently. So it would almost allow teching player to build one extra barracks compared to current live build.

Pillbox and Turret price change nerfs feels good. We have plenty of evidence of Omnom's games as well as SoScared's playtest thunderdome games to come into conclusion that allied defensive buildings are still worthwhile to build with higher cost and production time.
Currently, in phase 2 testing, I'm testing to see whether or not pillbox price has a greater effect on the spamming or if opportunity cost (my radar edit) has a greater effect. If i didn't put the SD as the prereq, then it would be difficult to compare because the different build orders would alter the games tremendously. Phase 2 testing is almost done; currently testing different pillbox prices.
Phase 3 testing will be to put the SD in the defense tab as well, and have the WF be the prerequisite for both SD and Radar dome. This will bring back WF into Dome builds. The goal of phase 3 will be to see if different build orders will be able to counter, or at least effectively stop base pushing.
JuiceBox wrote: I wonder if the same amount of time and attention has gone into analysing the base push and how to counter it? We seem verry eager to change the game on a fundamental level before exploring ALLL possibilities to a counter. I put it to omnom to try and knock all these masters off Thier pedestal and win the masters division with this so called 'ultimate game play' before we all say ' ok this is now an issue let's change the game'

As I see it you have the choice of focusing on your eco or tech. Choosing the right time to transcend is a pivotal moment in a game and a CHOICE when to do so. By putting the radar dome in the defence tab your removing this important choice from the game.

When I play soviets I hate having to choose between flack trucks and heavy tanks so hey let's move flack trucks to the inf tab so I can produce both. :roll:

When a chess grand master comes up with a new line that changes the way people play chess. The community dosnt go well to counter this the knight should now be able to move as a bishop too. NO they suck it up! go away re analyse and come up with a counter!

'How would you know you wouldn't be happy if you didn't try the changes?' - the same way I know I wouldn't like dog shit on my ice cream instead of chocolate sauce.
I've been testing basepushes against master level players for the past month. You can ask Lorry, Smitty, MT, Barf, Klaas, and Murto. They'll testify to how lame it is. I haven't even thrown artillery in there yet.

You forgot production buildings, and I'm not removing the choice between eco and tech; i'm reassigning it to eco vs production and tech vs defense.

And there is reasoning behind moving the tech to the defense tab. Go read it

JuiceBox

Post by JuiceBox »

I challenge you to go win the masters league then.

You haven't won anything you haven't proved anything.

If there is money involved am pretty sure the masters league players will find a way to push your rush back.

'I haven't even added in artillery yet' Jesus you sound as if you are the grand supreme of open RA and you are so powerful you don't even need to use artillery! seriously get off your high horse you haven't won anything !

OMnom

Post by OMnom »

JuiceBox wrote: I challenge you to go win the masters league then.

You haven't won anything you haven't proved anything.

If there is money involved am pretty sure the masters league players will find a way to push your rush back.

'I haven't even added in artillery yet' Jesus you sound as if you are the grand supreme of open RA and you are so powerful you don't even need to use artillery! seriously get off your high horse you haven't won anything !
1) They don't let you into the master league directly. 2) If you knew anyone in the master league, you would know that their motivation is not the money. 3), Base pushing can only be improved with artillery. I don't use artillery. You put it together.

I'm done responding to your troll bait. If you want to talk, find me in game.

OMnom

Post by OMnom »

Day 4-5 Recap

From the playtesting, one thing is for certain though: $400 pillboxes are way too cheap and quick. Their price also negatively affects other aspects of the game that does not involve base pushing. I won't go through testing the 25% build speed cap, as most players didn't build over 3 mcvs and the cost increase also increased the build time, so testing this would be rather redundant.
-$500 pillboxes have no/minimal effect on the game
-$600 pillboxes seems to be the price most people agree on, and I would put myself in this category.
-$700 pillboxes actually looked pretty good, as it's now impossible to stall an army indefinitely with only pillboxes; you need an army to deflect any sort of attack.
-$800 pillboxes made the game look slightly worse. While it did nerf base pushing, the unintended consequence of making them 100% more expensive was that the game developed extremely slowly. Players were hesitant to leave their bases defenseless, and overall, turtling actually increased.

Also, something important to take note of. In several games, increasing the build time of static D actually made the base push stronger because it took longer for the defender to throw down pillboxes. With the increased interval between pillboxes, my base push + army was able to clean up much more quickly, as compared to $400 pillboxes. So, fair warning: increasing the cost will definitely reduce the spamming and speed of base pushes, but the strength of the base push does not change, due to both sides having slower pillboxes. Price had a minor effect on the quanitity of pillbox spamming; the limitation was mainly in the build time increase.

Currently, I think I've gathered enough evidence showing that the raise in pillbox cost won't fix the problem with the MCV, and that we are in need of a second solution to go along with the $600 pillboxes. Just to be clear, the replays show that there are fewer pillboxes on the map, but the strength of base pushing, relative to other styles of play, is still too strong.

Now, the moment we've all been waiting for, and everyone's favorite part of the playtest. It's now time to test everyone's suggestions; everyone please post your suggestions and/or combinations of suggestions on how to address this problem if you haven't already (zinc, free to go wild now).

So far, based on the suggestions listed in this thread, the projected line up:

TabEdit - move all tech buildings to defense tab (i.e, i'm putting the SD in the defense tab and getting rid of the prerequisite). If I figure out how to move tech to it's own tab, I'll test that out too. Not going to test moving everything to 1 tab at this time.

PBEdit - $700 pillbox versus $600 pillbox

MCVEdit - increase price of MCV to $2750, remove build time modifier of mcv, increase deploy time by 10s, decrease HP of barrack by 25%. I'm still looking for the traits that allow me to control deployment time, so I'm not sure I will be able to implement this particular edit.

TankEdit - increase damage of medium and heavy tanks by 50% to all pillboxes, decrease HP of barracks by 25%. I think this will also increase tank damage to all/most buildings as a side effect, since most of them are listed as "heavy" armor type.

TechCostEdit - reduce price of dome to be the same as service depot, reduce build time of tech center to be the same as service depot .

All edits will feature $600 pillboxes.

If you disagree with any of the numbers, disagree with any of the combinations, would like to see a different combination, or if you don't see your suggestion, please post in the thread. Some of the more complicated suggestions, like having a building placement delay, are difficult to find on github, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to test out all of the suggestions.

I won't be playtesting tomorrow; i'll be taking this time to make the maps (and to rest my wrist) and to make sure they all work before I release it to you guys.

If you would like to help playtest anything, please do! All help and all replays are appreciated.

Thanks for being patient with my process, I know a lot of you feel that I was not listening to your suggestions, but I was trying to do a thorough job of testing pillbox edits and tab edits before I altered any other stats. If I had the willpower and the time, I'd go through each suggestion and test them all the stat changes individually before combining them, but from playing on previous playtests maps, it's going to take a really long time and its really hard to see a difference from 1 minor stat change. I think our best course of action is to group all the similar changes together in order to reduce the number of time it takes to figure what changes we like.

JuiceBox

Post by JuiceBox »

1. Your avoiding the challenge

2. You can get to masters in one season via the hidden path , you'll clearly get there undefeated

3. Not saying they are motivated by greed simply saying it's a different game when there are high stakes.

4. am not a troll just as your not a game developer

5. Haven't played in months due to health issues. Getting a new Chair so I can hopefully start playing this Monday. I will gladly hash it out with you in game

klaas

Post by klaas »

Great work OmNom. I appreciate your efforts, and I can testify your basepushing strat would also have worked in the masters league this season.

Anyhow, I'm curious for the TabEdit - move all tech buildings to defense tab.

My preferential setup would be that there are no prerequisites for either the Radar Dome or Service Depot. This would unlock some interesting strats, like building a RD after the first Ref and rush out some air units, or build the service depot together with the WF, and rush some tanks or an expansion. This would also unlock possible exploits, so I guess this needs to be tested thoroughly. Maybe SoS can do some testing on his stream monday?

btw, I do think the building tabs need a bit of restructering. Maybe the high tech can be moved back to the production tab, just to balance the number of build options in each tab?

JuiceBox

Post by JuiceBox »

Jesus klass if you were any further up omnom's arse you could keep us all updated on what he's having for breakfast too mate

So this what I want to know ...
Who gets the decision on pulling the trigger on potential game changes ? I hate the idea anyone just become a self appointed spokes man, run their own tests ram it down people's throats enough people just agree. Just like there was nothing wrong with the old artillery but people whined and stamped Thier feet enough it got nerfed. Now it's base pushing.... What's next? nerf rocket troops because they hurt your tanks too much?

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

All changes are reviewed on github before they are merged. The OpenRA developers get the final say, but anybody is able to comment on the pull requests.

lucassss

Post by lucassss »

"
My preferential setup would be that there are no prerequisites for either the Radar Dome or Service Depot."

Why would someone build an SD without a WF? What can he even get from it in that case? The only thing that I can think of is hijacker and mechanic and the ability to fix his few ore trucks. Am I missing something?

klaas

Post by klaas »

lucassss wrote: "
My preferential setup would be that there are no prerequisites for either the Radar Dome or Service Depot."

Why would someone build an SD without a WF? What can he even get from it in that case? The only thing that I can think of is hijacker and mechanic and the ability to fix his few ore trucks. Am I missing something?
You can build them at the same time, saving time.

AoAGeneral1

Post by AoAGeneral1 »

I can already say increasing the deploy time to 10s is a huge mistake. This will frustrate players who want to move their MCVs quickly in an escape.

JuiceBox

Post by JuiceBox »

@ AOAGeneral. Probably is a bad idea but it would certainly make people think twice about shoving one so close to an enemy.

OMnom

Post by OMnom »

Maps are done. They've been uploaded and they should all be working and ready to go. I've attached them to this post as a rar file for those of you that would like to help me out with playtesting. All I ask is that you send me the replays so I can compile them for the community to review.

In total, there are 24 play test maps -- 6 variations of different edits on 4 different maps. I decided on Sidestep, Warwind, Green Belt, and Behind the Veil as the 4 maps to playtest on; if anyone else would like to see another map, please let me know. I didn't make any 2v2 playtest maps at this time since getting data from those matches is much harder, but if you would like one, don't hesitate to ask.

So for the next week or so, I will be playtesting the different edits, most of which have been suggested to me in-game and in this thread. I decided against releasing the $700 and $800 pillbox edits...I think most of us are in agreement that $600 is the fair and reasonable price.

If you don't see your suggestion, if you have a suggestion for a different combination of changes, if you don't like the way I arranged the suggestions, or anything related to that at all, just post and let me know, and I'll see what I can do. On a side note, I wasn't able to find the code for the following suggestions: building placement delay, 3rd queue, and MCV deployment delay...sorry, I won't be able to test those out.

All maps have $600/800/800 PB/Camo/Turrets. Please let me know if any of the edits are wrongly coded or if there is an error in them.

MCVEdit40 : Build time of MCV increased to 40s. Cost increased to $2500. Barracks HP decreased by 25% to 600.

MCVEdit48: Build time of MCV increased to 48s. Cost increased to $2500. Barracks HP decreased by 25% to 600.

TabEditWF: All tech is moved to defense tab. WF is needed to unlock SD and Dome.

TabEditRef: All tech is moved to defense tab. Refinery is needed to unlock SD and Dome.

TankEdit: Medium tanks, heavy tanks,, and mammoth tanks now kill normal pillboxes in 8 salvos, 4 salvos, and 3 salvos, respectively. Damage from other units to pillboxes (should) remain the same. Barracks HP decreased by 25% to 600.

TechCostEdit: Build time of Dome is decreased to 35 seconds. Build time of Allied and Soviet tech centers is reduced to 30 seconds.

My goal is to get about 50 or so replays for each edit. Once we get that, then we can start analyzing the replays, figure out what changes/combination of changes we want to try out more, and then start a new round of editing after that.
Attachments
MCV Playtest Maps .rar
(307.46 KiB) Downloaded 208 times

lucassss

Post by lucassss »

Mentioned it in chat but will repeat here. Change pillbox's firing to be more similar to flame tower. It fires 5-10 volleys and then it has to recharge. This will still allow pillbox to stop early flame/grenadier/rocket rushes, but prevent then from being such a beast against larger blobs.

JuiceBox

Post by JuiceBox »

I thought you were also going to test Removing the building build speed increase from multiple MCV's ?