Is there anything from Red Alert not yet implemented?

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
zinc

Post by zinc »

Do you mean the experimental "super tank"?

Could that ever be controlled by the player in the game?

zinc

Post by zinc »

MustaphaTR wrote: Volkov and Chitzkoi were never in Skirmish/MP in original games. They doesn't even have specific unit entry in rules.ini but modified GNRL and DOG.

They'll of course will be in missions when then added. I would love to see them available in Skirmish/MP too (and in fact they was but it was before i start OpenRA) but i don't think it is necessary and would be hard to balance.
But apparently Tanya was originally available to both sides, so maybe it would be good to give Soviets back some special units like that with a build limit.

SMIFFGIG

Post by SMIFFGIG »

Materianer wrote:
SMIFFGIG wrote: Map options:
MCV Crate - when player has no MCV/Construction Yard, then any crate they find has a much higher chance (perhaps it was even 100%) of being an MCV
We had this a few years ago but you can just always sell your conyard and get a bunch of infantry engie and 2000$ also base was sometimes nicely teleported :D
without buildradius was also a bit cräzy but funny.
Couldn't the % chance be lowered from 100%.
So the gamble of selling up would not be worth it.
Was a nice feature to have in RA1. Pretty sure it wasn't 100% guaranteed either.
The un-offical addon for Tiberian Sun

zinc

Post by zinc »

SMIFFGIG wrote:
Materianer wrote:
MCV Crate - when player has no MCV/Construction Yard, then any crate they find has a much higher chance (perhaps it was even 100%) of being an MCV
We had this a few years ago but you can just always sell your conyard and get a bunch of infantry engie and 2000$ also base was sometimes nicely teleported :D
Was a nice feature to have in RA1. Pretty sure it wasn't 100% guaranteed either.
We already have that. I think it's at 50% in the game today.

zinc

Post by zinc »

I hardly remember volkov but I read he had different weapons in different missions. Was he kind of like Tanya some of the time?

SMIFFGIG

Post by SMIFFGIG »

zinc wrote:
SMIFFGIG wrote:
Materianer wrote:
We already have that. I think it's at 50% in the game today.
Ahh ok, updated my original post!
The un-offical addon for Tiberian Sun

Inq

Post by Inq »

Allocating one plane to a airfield, so you can't build more planes than airstrips.

Also the movement behaviour of helicopters was more randomised in RA and TD, made them seem more real. They also landed when not in use.[/list][/list]

zinc

Post by zinc »

Inq wrote: Allocating one plane to a airfield, so you can't build more planes than airstrips.

Also the movement behaviour of helicopters was more randomised in RA and TD, made them seem more real. They also landed when not in use.[/list][/list]

Air units are ten times better in open ra as compared to the original imo. It's good that some things are changed and updated. If they tried to fully implement the original it would just be a pointless clone.

Materianer

Post by Materianer »

zinc wrote: Do you mean the experimental "super tank"?

Could that ever be controlled by the player in the game?
I meant the tanks from the Monster tank madness mission, you can find it in mission chooser.
It looks like a normal Mammoth i think maybe it should look a bit bigger then with longer barrels and so.

Volkov would be really nice to see maybe with his dog wich is not controllable following and protecting Volkov.

Inq

Post by Inq »

zinc wrote: Air units are ten times better in open ra as compared to the original imo. It's good that some things are changed and updated. If they tried to fully implement the original it would just be a pointless clone.
That's subjective. I'd prefer less aircraft, their already vastly more valuable than in the original with the introduction of fog of war scouting and the fact they can clear shroud.

At least having it as an option would be nice.

Graion Dilach

Post by Graion Dilach »

jaZz_KCS wrote: Pretty sure that our Tesla weaponry already behaves that way. When it charges due to inf it shoots three short burtsts enough for inf to die. When charging because of inf and then only a tank is left over for lets say 3rd shot, the shot is way weaker than compared to if it would have charged for the tank and would have done all three bursts in one.
Our Tesla Coil always fires three times though, even against vehicles.

I'm also a fan of the no-dock limit of aircraft, but I can imagine cases where at least support for it on modding level would be nice.
AS Discord server: https://discord.gg/7aM7Hm2

jaZz_KCS

Post by jaZz_KCS »

Graion Dilach wrote: Our Tesla Coil always fires three times though, even against vehicles.
Pretty sure that this is wrong, so I made a quick test.
I have been correct, just tested it.

When firing against inf it shoots THREE short bursts with 1/3 dmg [enough to kill off three inf in a row with one charge, then it has to recharge]

When firing against a tank, it does a full damage shot [albeit only ONE, then has to recharge.]

Try for yourself. Tested with release-20161019

Le proof du gif -- > Image
RAGL -->Replay Archive<--

FiveAces

Post by FiveAces »

@JaZz_KCS: The tesla coil does indeed fire 3 bursts even against vehicles,
but in such rapid succession that it seems like a single zap.
This can be confirmed by the fact that a tesla coil that targets a vehicle
that is at such low health that one mini-burst would be enough to kill it still has 2 more zaps left to kill infantry.

jaZz_KCS

Post by jaZz_KCS »

FiveAces wrote: @JaZz_KCS: The tesla coil does indeed fire 3 bursts even against vehicles,
but in such rapid succession that it seems like a single zap.
This can be confirmed by the fact that a tesla coil that targets a vehicle
that is at such low health that one mini-burst would be enough to kill it still has 2 more zaps left to kill infantry.
That explains why it acts "smart" [as in having a Zap "left" when the vehicle did not have that much HP left]
Thank you for clarification.
RAGL -->Replay Archive<--

AoAGeneral1

Post by AoAGeneral1 »

Funny thing about the Tesla in RA96 is if you get the timing of the lag and shots down you can actually have it rapidly fire three bursts instantly amongst infantry by select firing. Its extremely hard to do but it was possible. Even against tanks.

I don't think its possible in ORA though.