Gap Generator, Balance, Projectile Shadows - Playtest Build

Red Alert mod

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
SoScared

Gap Generator, Balance, Projectile Shadows - Playtest Build

Post by SoScared »

Complete build downloads (git-48187e6):

Windows: https://www.dropbox.com/s/v7qs4391ao0ez ... ce-win.zip
OSX: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105 ... ce-OSX.zip
Linux: https://cloud.luon.net/index.php/s/V4GVW9kWpa67y17

Credits to Kyrylo, dtluna, paulvt, Phrodoh & pchote for guidance, test runs and code to make these builds possible, as well as Frame Limiter for balance change values.

GitHub repository: https://github.com/SoScared/OpenRA/tree/gapandbalance

I'll be using this for the next Monday stream (Nov 21) and hopefully get some valuable insight on the changes presented in this build. All changes written in the txt files attached below.
Attachments
GAP effect.txt
All effect values for the Gap Generator (incl. MGG) vs units & structures.
(470 Bytes) Downloaded 248 times
Balance changes v1.42.txt
Mostly brought in from my previous map playtests.
(1.75 KiB) Downloaded 264 times
Added shadows to projectiles.txt
Pretty neat!
(97 Bytes) Downloaded 246 times

lucassss

Post by lucassss »

Yay, GAP reduces vision, it's a dream come true

SMIFFGIG

Post by SMIFFGIG »

Not seen it in action yet, but this sounds like a great feature addition!

Will watch SoScared replay as soon as it's available!
The un-offical addon for Tiberian Sun

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

VOD of the latest Monday Stream involving the above: https://www.twitch.tv/soscared/v/102514839

Blackened

Post by Blackened »

Here's my thoughts on some of the changes:

I think France is viable with the gap gen changes. Mobile gaps definitely help both base push and prevent them. It would be interesting to see a base push scenario with both teams utilizing gaps. It might be feasible to have infantry effected as well. Especially tanya. I think the yak+mig sight range makes sense too .

I like the changes to light tanks.

Allied defenses are definitely less spammable but still really good. a power consumption increase might be in order.

Flame tower is in a good spot.

allied tech center is too strong now. The only way to really snipe it is to rush to tech center yourself and chrono in. Hinds can't snipe now because AA takes cares of them and having 5 hinds try to take out a tech center is too cost inefficient. I don't know how a soviet player would deal with it at all.

paratroopers are good.

parabombs should be down to 4 minutes(they actually weren't changes in the test build)

Also not part of the test build but I'm still not happy with naval warfare. If it's a naval map against allies soviets have to expend a lot of money just to deny and cant really do much once they gain the water. Missile subs just aren't worth it imo.

Doomsday

Post by Doomsday »

As a soviet fanboy I'm really liking this playtest balance. I'll try to be as objective as I can. This is mostly assumptions at this stage because we only had four hours of games with these changes.

Allied defensive structure nerfs seem good. Without these nerfs players are able to concentrate their full military strength to one side of the map and get away with it with spamming cheap pillboxes to slow down or fully push back attacking forces. In yesterday's games we did not see it happening the same way. Basepushing and defensive structures had to be backed with some support from infantry and vehicles. I generally dislike massive balance adjustments so I don't agree with Blackened's proposal for additional electricity nerfs. I'd rather see small nerfs get implemented first and then adjust according to what happens then.

To me it doesn't make sense how Soviet Tech Center is 600 HP and Allied Tech Center is 400 HP. So yeah I'm in favour of boosting Allied Tech Center HP from 400 to 600.

I'm really liking the Light Tank change. Reload + damage change makes them interesting for hit & run, catching slower vehicles running away and general kiting. This Light Tank change would be a massive boost even without added damage vs heavy and light armour.

Added Mig and Yak vision makes sense. Allies tend to have all the advantages when it comes to vision. It's quite nice to see a minor buff to soviet vision.

Paradrops veterancy is a nice visual thing. Could someone please explain what veterancy does to infantry or point out what game file I can read to figure this out?

I don't have much to say about Parabomb change other than the fact that Allied seems to ge generally stronger than Soviets so this is alright. What is the general consensus between Ukraine and Russia power level right now? I personally think Ukraine is better and if that's the case, would be better to have Soviet buff affecting both Ukraine and Russia.

Mobile Radar Jammer thing is obviously really nice change.

I don't have anything to say about MADTank, Spy and damage vs concrete at this point yet.

abcdefg30

Post by abcdefg30 »

Doomsday wrote: Paradrops veterancy is a nice visual thing. Could someone please explain what veterancy does to infantry or point out what game file I can read to figure this out?
You can find a list here: https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/blob/b ... s.yaml#L16

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

As for the Allied Tech Center, the justification for the buff up to 600HP is both avoid cheap snipes and have Allied players be more willing to tech up and start using last-tier units. Paraboms oblitherates 400HP wood armor (I also wanna see Parabombs a bit more often) but with 600HP it's left with something like 50HP left. It still only takes only two YAKs or Hinds to snipe a Tech Center but they now will have to spend pretty much all ammo to bring it down. Also YAKs are fast and will easily put some hurt on an AA protected Tech Center, and will bring it down if coupled with other means. Allied Tech centers require 200 power, 600HP wood armor is still pretty low (Barracks 800HP, Adv.PP 700HP, PP 400HP) plus as of the latest release the GPS Satellite is now dependend on a powered Radar Dome.

I hope the Light Tank buff will show off well. As a tank nut this is a personal favourite of mine - the reason for the buff is to give the Light Tank role a bit more relevance beyond the early- and midgame.

jaZz_KCS

Post by jaZz_KCS »

Stream was very fruitful this Monday.
Thank you to all who participated!
RAGL -->Replay Archive<--

SMIFFGIG

Post by SMIFFGIG »

Stream is good, not watched it all yet.

Can we maybe not have that Flamewh33l guy in future streams, he's irritating as hell, talking crap and seems to be throwing everyone else off who's actually trying to comment about the game.
The un-offical addon for Tiberian Sun

lucassss

Post by lucassss »

Did anyone think to change GAP so that it restores fog but not shroud? I think it will actually make GAP stronger. Because right now, whenever you use GAP (especially mobile GAP), there's a "huge sign" pointing to where exactly you're doing it. Not very useful when you want to hide your superweapon or attacking force.